Turning lemons into lemonade...and the addition of macarons for good measure
Brian has been having to work late during the week and on Saturdays lately. This weekend, theoretically a three-day weekend for a majority of Americans, is just another one-day weekend at our house. (Lemons)
But was I about to let that get me down? (Well, maybe a little. I mean, it is kind of a bummer, I'm not gonna lie. But I digress.) Implementing, once again, an important tool taught to me by my mom, I chose to make the most of it and try to do something fun with Lucy, just the two of us. (Lemonade)
We started off our morning with a trip to 'lette.
The real (or fake, depending on how you look at it- ha!) reason for going was to get a birthday present for Alicia. Naturally, while we were there, I would just "have" to get some for myself, too! It should be a known fact by now that I LOVE MACARONS.* So any excuse, real or fake, to go to treat myself to some is valid enough for me. And so, we left with a box for Alicia and a box for me.
And an extra one for Lucy.
On our way back to the car, a really cute little shop called Auntie Barbara's Kids caught Lucy's eye, so we stopped in to look. Super cute clothes, toys, books, and shoes. Being that it was a special girl's day, we left there with a new pair of slippers for Luce.
By then, it was approaching lunch time, so we headed off to the mall and lunch at one of Lucy's favorite eating establishments, Islands. We had a fun lunch together, which was capped off by a junior sundae because Lucy agreed to try a bite of tomato.
I had to convince her to try the chocolate sauce on her ice cream (what? seriously??) but, of course, she liked it.
Once she drank up her sundae, we walked around the mall for a bit. She wanted to "go to the pretty store" (aka Pottery Barn Kids). She enjoys going there to look at all the pretty linens and toys. After that, we went to Sephora for some makeup shopping. Hey, I said it was a girly day! Lucy loves to carry around one of the little baskets there, and look at all the make up and nail polish. When we were done, she made a wish at the fountain (another one of her favorite pastimes). "I wish that Mommy would be my best friend."
...and, cue heart melt!
On the way home. Lucy asked if we could go to the park by our house to play. We had about a half hour to kill before nap time anyway, so we stopped for a while, then headed home for a nap. Even Violet (who, according to Lucy, wasn't feeling well) got a nap. (She's been playing pretend a lot with her baby doll recently, pretending to take care of her, and today it was Violet's turn.)
Our extra special, extra girly day, which included macarons, shoe shopping, lunch, makeup shopping, wish-making, a visit to the playground, ended with a pedicure for Lucy.
...And a night out with the girls for me! We celebrated Alicia's birthday at Petros. Really yummy, and fun!
Brian is off work today, then back at work on Memorial Day. Stay tuned to see what fun Lucy and I improvise!
* A macaron (pronounced "ma-ka-ron") is a French kind of sandwich cookie made of a meringue top and bottom and filled with buttercream, ganache, or jam. It is pretty and light and delicious! NOT TO BE CONFUSED with a macaroon (pronounced "ma-ka-roon"), which is a cake-like, coconut-based cookie. In short: macarons: good; macaroons: not even close.
But was I about to let that get me down? (Well, maybe a little. I mean, it is kind of a bummer, I'm not gonna lie. But I digress.) Implementing, once again, an important tool taught to me by my mom, I chose to make the most of it and try to do something fun with Lucy, just the two of us. (Lemonade)
We started off our morning with a trip to 'lette.
The real (or fake, depending on how you look at it- ha!) reason for going was to get a birthday present for Alicia. Naturally, while we were there, I would just "have" to get some for myself, too! It should be a known fact by now that I LOVE MACARONS.* So any excuse, real or fake, to go to treat myself to some is valid enough for me. And so, we left with a box for Alicia and a box for me.
And an extra one for Lucy.
By then, it was approaching lunch time, so we headed off to the mall and lunch at one of Lucy's favorite eating establishments, Islands. We had a fun lunch together, which was capped off by a junior sundae because Lucy agreed to try a bite of tomato.
I had to convince her to try the chocolate sauce on her ice cream (what? seriously??) but, of course, she liked it.
Once she drank up her sundae, we walked around the mall for a bit. She wanted to "go to the pretty store" (aka Pottery Barn Kids). She enjoys going there to look at all the pretty linens and toys. After that, we went to Sephora for some makeup shopping. Hey, I said it was a girly day! Lucy loves to carry around one of the little baskets there, and look at all the make up and nail polish. When we were done, she made a wish at the fountain (another one of her favorite pastimes). "I wish that Mommy would be my best friend."
...and, cue heart melt!
On the way home. Lucy asked if we could go to the park by our house to play. We had about a half hour to kill before nap time anyway, so we stopped for a while, then headed home for a nap. Even Violet (who, according to Lucy, wasn't feeling well) got a nap. (She's been playing pretend a lot with her baby doll recently, pretending to take care of her, and today it was Violet's turn.)
Our extra special, extra girly day, which included macarons, shoe shopping, lunch, makeup shopping, wish-making, a visit to the playground, ended with a pedicure for Lucy.
...And a night out with the girls for me! We celebrated Alicia's birthday at Petros. Really yummy, and fun!
Brian is off work today, then back at work on Memorial Day. Stay tuned to see what fun Lucy and I improvise!
* A macaron (pronounced "ma-ka-ron") is a French kind of sandwich cookie made of a meringue top and bottom and filled with buttercream, ganache, or jam. It is pretty and light and delicious! NOT TO BE CONFUSED with a macaroon (pronounced "ma-ka-roon"), which is a cake-like, coconut-based cookie. In short: macarons: good; macaroons: not even close.


















Comments