Fun with pumpkins (and pumpkin seeds)!
Fresh off our lastest visit to the pumpkin patch, we decided to carve our family of pumpkins. Since Lucy loves to draw faces, and does such a great job at it, we decided to let her design the jack-o-lanterns this year. We cleaned out the insides, Lucy drew on the faces, and then I carved them out.
She is so proud of her creations, especially "her" pumpkin, which she said is "perfect." I couldn't agree more. :)
I thought it would be adorable to have our jack-o-lanterns with Lucy-drawn faces, and lo and behold, I was right!
Win #1: Awesome pumpkin family!
Win #2: Pumpkin seeds! It's the second best thing about carving pumpkins. I always have to google pumpkin seed recipes, so this time I'm going to document what I did to roast them, while I still remember, so that I can refer to this next year.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
What you need:
pumpkin seeds (duh)
2 T butter, melted
shoyu
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
garlic powder
What to do:
1. Wash the seeds well and remove all the residual pumpkin gunk. This part is time consuming, but necessary.
2. Dry seeds completely on paper towels. This part is also time consuming, but necessary.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
4. Melt butter in a bowl in the microwave. Add the dried pumpkin seeds, stir to coat.
5. Add some shoyu, seasoned salt, and garlic powder (no measurements, sorry). Mix.
6. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. Stir, add more seasoning if needed. Yes, I added more.
9. Return to oven, bake for an additional 25 minutes or until dried and toasty.
10. EAT!
These turned out AMAZING! Definitely the best batch of roasted pumpkin seeds I've ever made. Hence, why I want to remember how to make them. ;)
She is so proud of her creations, especially "her" pumpkin, which she said is "perfect." I couldn't agree more. :)
I thought it would be adorable to have our jack-o-lanterns with Lucy-drawn faces, and lo and behold, I was right!
Win #1: Awesome pumpkin family!
Win #2: Pumpkin seeds! It's the second best thing about carving pumpkins. I always have to google pumpkin seed recipes, so this time I'm going to document what I did to roast them, while I still remember, so that I can refer to this next year.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
What you need:
pumpkin seeds (duh)
2 T butter, melted
shoyu
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
garlic powder
What to do:
1. Wash the seeds well and remove all the residual pumpkin gunk. This part is time consuming, but necessary.
2. Dry seeds completely on paper towels. This part is also time consuming, but necessary.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
4. Melt butter in a bowl in the microwave. Add the dried pumpkin seeds, stir to coat.
5. Add some shoyu, seasoned salt, and garlic powder (no measurements, sorry). Mix.
6. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. Stir, add more seasoning if needed. Yes, I added more.
9. Return to oven, bake for an additional 25 minutes or until dried and toasty.
10. EAT!
These turned out AMAZING! Definitely the best batch of roasted pumpkin seeds I've ever made. Hence, why I want to remember how to make them. ;)









Comments
The carving makes me smile and think of the cute picture LJ drew for me.