Wishes for my girl

If you're on Facebook, you already know that I'm participating in a photo-a-day challenge, created by my friend Shannon on her blog. How it works is she posts a list at the beginning of each month, outlining something to take a picture of each day. She posts on her blog, some people post to Instagram, some of us post to FB. Anyway, the assignment a few days ago was: A wish.

Sure, I could have taken a picture of a house, bags of money, Barack Obama, a pair of Louboutins, a screenshot of my Amazon wish list, or more specifically, the Longchamp bag which is currently at the tip top of said wish list. But instead, I thought about what I would really wish for. Good health, good fortune, and happy lives for me, my family, and friends. And, especially Lucy. Then I thought about my wishes specifically for Lucy. What I want her to know, how I hope that she lives her life, what I want for her. I started a list. Stream of consciousness, which is how I always write. This is what came out:
  • be happy
  • be strong
  • know yourself. be confident in who you are.
  • have convictions. stand by them.
  • let your voice be heard.
  • don't be afraid to love. 
  • don't be afraid to have your heart broken. it will mend.
  • know that you are special. and worthy. and loved.
  • don't let anyone make you feel less than you are. those people don't know you.
  • remember that everything happens for a reason. if something doesn't work out, it means it wasn't meant to be. something better will come along. i promise.
  • don't settle.
  • be grateful. even in the worst of times, there is always something to be thankful for.
  • focus on the positive.
  • tell the people who you love and appreciate that you love and appreciate them.
  • be a good friend.
  • be your best self.
  • be kind.
  • dream.
These are the things I really want her to know and remember. I shudder to think about all those icky situations that will crop up in her life that will make her question herself, her intelligence, her strength, and her worth. I mean, heck- it's taken me about four decades to learn some of these lessons! I am not completely naive. Sadly, I doubt any girl can be immune to all self-esteem issues, "mean girl" issues, boy problems, and general heartache. But it is my greatest hope, if we are able to lay a strong enough foundation, that she may be able to get through those tough times with the least amount of battle wounds as possible.

Comments

Popular Posts