Vacation is fun!
Vacation Week (aka: Fun with Daddy) continues!
Day 1: Zoo!
Day 2: Every six months or so, Brian feels the need to go shopping (if that- seriously), so when the urge strikes, I'm all over it. Let's GO! We decided on Third Street Promenade, due to its close proximity to Umami Burger, which we've been wanting to try for a while now. The shopping wasn't much of a success, although B did get a new pair of shoes and a shirt, which is better than nothing; and I got a water-resistant jacket, which is something I've been in desperate need of. So, yay! Lucy got to eat a bunch of snacks and people watch. :)
Before heading home, we stopped at Umami. The build-up on this place has been pretty huge, so I was a little concerned, since rarely does the reality in these cases ever live up to the hype. However, I can honestly say it was one of the best burgers I've ever had. I don't know what they do there, but it was SO good! Even the fries were extra delish!
Day 3: We were originally planning to meet up with Reid, Kyra, and Ally at Dr. Fang's office. Not exactly the funnest of playdate venues, but since Lucy was supposed to have her 18 month check-up and K&A needed to get their flu shots, Reid was going to take them in at the same time. :) Unfortunately, Dr. Fang had to reschedule, so we all decided to meet up for lunch instead. Since Reid and the girls were planning to go to Marukai to pick up supplies for New Year's, we met up in the vicinity, at King's Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant. We got to eat some yummy food and Lucy got to play with her cousins...and their fancy toys. :)
Day 4: This day *should've* been the day of the Griffith Observatory, but our attempt at getting there was a huge fail. Thanks to extraordinarily horrendous freeway traffic, it took us almost an hour and a half to get there, only to find out there was no parking, and we weren't in the mood to hike up that hill with a stroller, so we left in search of a (late, at that point) lunch. We tried to go to Joan's on Third. More hideous traffic and a packed restaurant later, we decided to bail. But not before we realized the new Magnolia Bakery was right across the street! Finally, something good!
We decided to pick up a few cupcakes for our troubles and head back to our area of town for some food. We left the house at 1:00, got home at 6:00. Not at all what we had in mind for the afternoon, but it wasn't a total loss. Why? Cupcakes!! :)
Day 5: New Year's Ever Playdate with Christine (one of my dearest friends, and ex-roommates), Lissa (another friend from college), Leslie (yet another former-Bruin), our kids, and hubsters.
Christine and Lissa are both visiting from back east, so we organized a playdate at the park near our house. It was so great to see the ladies again, and watch the kids play together. So crazy to think that Christine and I lived together 20 years ago!!
All the kids enjoyed trying out Camilla's new scooter- including little Lucy!
The older girls, Camilla and Lily, were really sweet to Lucy, and Lucy really took to them, too.
Most of the time was spent running after children, but there were some interactive play times, too, like when they played Ring Around the Rosie. I was so impressed that Lucy held hands with Camilla and Lily and went around (kind of) with everyone else, without me or Brian being in the circle with her. (She will barely hold our hands when we want her to!) This was one of the cutest things I've seen in a while.
To summarize: Vacation is freaking awesome...even when you're not the one technically on vacation. And it sucks just as much when it's over. I'm so bummed that Brian will have to return to work next Monday, but it was fun having him at home with us this past week!
Day 1: Zoo!
Day 2: Every six months or so, Brian feels the need to go shopping (if that- seriously), so when the urge strikes, I'm all over it. Let's GO! We decided on Third Street Promenade, due to its close proximity to Umami Burger, which we've been wanting to try for a while now. The shopping wasn't much of a success, although B did get a new pair of shoes and a shirt, which is better than nothing; and I got a water-resistant jacket, which is something I've been in desperate need of. So, yay! Lucy got to eat a bunch of snacks and people watch. :)
Before heading home, we stopped at Umami. The build-up on this place has been pretty huge, so I was a little concerned, since rarely does the reality in these cases ever live up to the hype. However, I can honestly say it was one of the best burgers I've ever had. I don't know what they do there, but it was SO good! Even the fries were extra delish!
Day 3: We were originally planning to meet up with Reid, Kyra, and Ally at Dr. Fang's office. Not exactly the funnest of playdate venues, but since Lucy was supposed to have her 18 month check-up and K&A needed to get their flu shots, Reid was going to take them in at the same time. :) Unfortunately, Dr. Fang had to reschedule, so we all decided to meet up for lunch instead. Since Reid and the girls were planning to go to Marukai to pick up supplies for New Year's, we met up in the vicinity, at King's Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant. We got to eat some yummy food and Lucy got to play with her cousins...and their fancy toys. :)
Day 4: This day *should've* been the day of the Griffith Observatory, but our attempt at getting there was a huge fail. Thanks to extraordinarily horrendous freeway traffic, it took us almost an hour and a half to get there, only to find out there was no parking, and we weren't in the mood to hike up that hill with a stroller, so we left in search of a (late, at that point) lunch. We tried to go to Joan's on Third. More hideous traffic and a packed restaurant later, we decided to bail. But not before we realized the new Magnolia Bakery was right across the street! Finally, something good!
We decided to pick up a few cupcakes for our troubles and head back to our area of town for some food. We left the house at 1:00, got home at 6:00. Not at all what we had in mind for the afternoon, but it wasn't a total loss. Why? Cupcakes!! :)
Day 5: New Year's Ever Playdate with Christine (one of my dearest friends, and ex-roommates), Lissa (another friend from college), Leslie (yet another former-Bruin), our kids, and hubsters.
![]() |
| Me & Lucy, Christine & Camilla, Leslie & Lily, Lissa & Johannes |
![]() | |||
| Me and Lucy with Christine and Camilla |
The older girls, Camilla and Lily, were really sweet to Lucy, and Lucy really took to them, too.
![]() |
| "Camilla, I love your sweater!" |
![]() |
| "Here Lucy, try this!' |
![]() |
| "Hey Lily, whatcha got there?" |
To summarize: Vacation is freaking awesome...even when you're not the one technically on vacation. And it sucks just as much when it's over. I'm so bummed that Brian will have to return to work next Monday, but it was fun having him at home with us this past week!


















Comments