Go Shorty, It's My Birthday
I have to admit that I was a little worried my birthday might suck this year. Mostly because I'm always a little fearful of this, since I'm kind of used to people forgetting my birthday altogether. I'm sure it's because of its close proximity to the holidays, when people are wrapped up with lots of other things, on vacation, or what have you. I mean, I understand- there's a lot going on, and once the stress of the holidays are over, you're not really thinking about much else. I'm guilty of that myself! But it still kind of sucks. I also realize it's kind of lame to be bummed out about people forgetting your birthday, especially given that I'm a grown ass woman, however, although birthdays seem to mean less to people as they grow older, I've been finding that they've actually been meaning more to me lately. Maybe it's because so much of my life now is now centered on others (mainly one cute and awesome other), that to have a special day all about me is kind of a (selfishly) refreshing idea. It isn't often that the focus is on me these days (either other people's or even my own). I'm not saying that I want the focus to be on me all the time, or even much of the time- that's not the case at all! But feeling extra special (and getting presents!) one day out of the year is kind of nice. :)
Well as it turned out, my birthday didn't suck! I woke up to birthday wishes from my two sweeties, then I logged onto my computer to many happy birthday wishes from friends online, as well as emails, phone calls, and texts all day long. People remembered! It was awesome!
Brian has been really busy at work this week, but he was able to get away from the craziness for a little while this afternoon to meet Lucy and me for a nice lunch! Yay! We went to Ford's Filling Station, where I devoured a bowl of the most delicious clam chowder made with manila clams, huge chunks of potatoes, and bits of bacon in a light cream broth. OMG, it was SO good (and much better, I imagine, than the salmon salad I was prepared to order until our waitress steered me in the right direction). Yay for lunch with my favorite people!
And despite the fact that Lucy did not take much of an afternoon nap (again), we made the best of it and went to meet Alicia and Bregan at the playground. We hadn't seen them since before Christmas, so it was great to see them again! When B and Luce saw each other, Lucy yelled, "Beeee!" and they both started squealing and waving their arms around. It was too precious! As an added bonus, our friends from our mommy & me class, Charlotte and her mommy Suzanna, also happened to be at the playground at the same time! Lucy was happy to see her friends- as was I. And as an added, added bonus- both Bregan and Charlotte were happy to see me, too! Bregan wanted me to carry her for a while, and Charlotte (who I watch during class) wanted to hold my hand and walk around the playground. Yay for little friends who like me! :)
So, I got lots of love from my guy and my girl, a yummy lunch, an impromptu playdate with friends, a blog post dedicated to me, great phone calls from far away (and not so far away) family and friends, and an awesome package delivered from the F family- among many other birthday wishes. It was a good day! :)
Still. 41. Seriously??
Well as it turned out, my birthday didn't suck! I woke up to birthday wishes from my two sweeties, then I logged onto my computer to many happy birthday wishes from friends online, as well as emails, phone calls, and texts all day long. People remembered! It was awesome!
Brian has been really busy at work this week, but he was able to get away from the craziness for a little while this afternoon to meet Lucy and me for a nice lunch! Yay! We went to Ford's Filling Station, where I devoured a bowl of the most delicious clam chowder made with manila clams, huge chunks of potatoes, and bits of bacon in a light cream broth. OMG, it was SO good (and much better, I imagine, than the salmon salad I was prepared to order until our waitress steered me in the right direction). Yay for lunch with my favorite people!
And despite the fact that Lucy did not take much of an afternoon nap (again), we made the best of it and went to meet Alicia and Bregan at the playground. We hadn't seen them since before Christmas, so it was great to see them again! When B and Luce saw each other, Lucy yelled, "Beeee!" and they both started squealing and waving their arms around. It was too precious! As an added bonus, our friends from our mommy & me class, Charlotte and her mommy Suzanna, also happened to be at the playground at the same time! Lucy was happy to see her friends- as was I. And as an added, added bonus- both Bregan and Charlotte were happy to see me, too! Bregan wanted me to carry her for a while, and Charlotte (who I watch during class) wanted to hold my hand and walk around the playground. Yay for little friends who like me! :)
So, I got lots of love from my guy and my girl, a yummy lunch, an impromptu playdate with friends, a blog post dedicated to me, great phone calls from far away (and not so far away) family and friends, and an awesome package delivered from the F family- among many other birthday wishes. It was a good day! :)
Still. 41. Seriously??




Comments