Happy 2011!

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day are pretty big celebrations in Hawaii, filled with lots family time and lots of yummy food.  Traditionally, I would spend New Year's Eve at Aunty Carmen's house with the whole crew, and it was the best time!  We would make won tons in the afternoon and eat Aunty Carmen's lasagna and Uncle Arthur's cioppino for dinner, then play games light fireworks all night, culminating with the ubiquitous Hawaii firecracker bonanza at midnight and a champagne toast.  It was one of my most favorite holiday traditions and I really miss it. Lisa, Cindy, and the gang always think of me on NYE, though, and Lisa sends me little videos of the kids, which really makes my night.  I almost feel like I'm there with them.  Almost.

In recent years, Brian and I have developed our own NYE tradition, which I love!  We always prepare a really nice dinner together, B whips up some cocktails, and we spend the evening together at home.  This year we had fun dancing with Bean to the Beatles before we put her to bed, then we ate dinner and watched a movie with the Doogles.  Seeing as I was with my family and I got to wear my pajamas the entire time, I really can't think of a cozier way to ring in the new year! :)

New Year's Day in Hawaii is also a special day centered around family, food, and special traditions like eating ozoni (good luck soup) in the morning.  January 1st is also my Dad's birthday, which makes it an extra special day! :)  Back home, I would normally start out the day at Mom's house eating Grandma Yamada's ozoni in the morning, followed by lunch at Uncle Ran and Aunty Vi's house with the F family, then a second lunch at Aunty Carmen's house, then finally dinner back at Dad's.  See, I told you- lots of family and food!

Now that we spend New Year's here, as do Lisa and Reid and their family, we decided to start a new tradition of our own- getting together for lunch on New Year's Day, just like we might do at home, with some of the same dishes we would normally eat.  This makes me insanely happy since these guys mean the world to me and I love the idea of us creating new family traditions together.  Another, less significant reason being that I'm a superstitious girl and I can't imagine starting a new year without ozoni and mochi!  I haven't learned how to make ozoni yet, so lucky for me I don't have to, because Reid has learned! :)


We had an awesome lunch!  We had bbq beef, spam gau gee, chow fun, chicken with green beans, tofu, kuromame (good luck black bean dish), and of course, Reid's ozoni.  Ally even made us awesome place cards, so we would all know where to sit. :)





And because all that food wasn't enough, we had (more) mochi for dessert!  While Lisa, Reid, and the girls like it with lots of kinako (and love scooping up extra kinako with a spoon),


I prefer it the way my mom used to eat and make it for me- fried and dipped in sugar!  OMG!  Hot, puffy, chewy goodness!  Nom nom nom!


It was so much fun being able to spend time together, and especially fun to watch the cousins play together.  K&A are such amazing older cousins to Lucy- always eager to share and play with her, and we can tell Lucy loves hanging out with them, too!  They crack each other up.  It's so sweet to see!


So although I do miss my family back home and spending these holidays with them, I am so thankful to have my family here to be able to share special family times together, making new holiday traditions.



Happy New Year, everyone!  (And Happy Birthday, Dad!)  May 2011 bring us all much love, good health, fun times, joyous spirits, prosperity, and lots and lots of laughter.

Comments

Grampa and Gramma F. said…
We all miss you guys back here. But, we're happy that you have "family and traditions" there.
Jen said…
What great traditions, both new and old! Thank you for sharing both so wonderfully :)
sister said…
the Mister and his family introduced me to mochi fried in a lil bit of butter with shoyu! nom nom nom.

PS. Ally, I LOVE the place cards! great job!

Popular Posts