I have the cutest daughter in the world

This isn't new news, of course.  But there are some days when it's just extra obvious- like, she just about smacks me in the face with her cuteness.  Today has been one of those days.  I am just overflowing with love and adoration for this girl.


I mean, come on.  Right?

It all started early this morning, when I was surprised to discover that she actually understands what I'm saying.  We've had inklings of this before, but it really hit me this morning.  While we were playing, I asked her, "can you please bring me your red and white dog?" She walked over to her red and white dog, picked it up, and walked it over to me!  So then I thought I would try again.  "Can you please bring me your yellow bear?"  She looked around for her yellow bear, went over to it, picked it up, and brought it to me.  Same with her pink elephant.  Who knows if she knows what colors are, or if she knows what each thing is, but either way- she knows what things are!  And she understood what I asked her do- and she did it!  It was such an exciting moment!  I was so proud of her!

A little later, when I was getting ready to put her down for a nap, I was carrying her as usual and she had her head on my shoulder as usual.  Then, out of the blue, she lifted her head to look at me and get a kiss.  Frankly, I'm surprised I didn't melt into a puddle on the floor of her room right then and there.  So cute!  She kisses her toys and pictures in her books, and yes- sometimes us, but we are normally the instigators.  The only other time I can recall that she instigated a kiss was last week during storytime.  She was sitting on my lap and turned her head around for a kiss.  It's just too cute when she stops what she's doing to get a kiss!  I look forward to many more of these!

She's been doing all sorts of cute things more and more.  Like when it's time for a nap or bedtime and I carry her away, we (I) say, "Goodnight puppy" and "Goodnight Daddy" (when he's home) and she smiles and waves at them from over my shoulder.  And then she looks (and waves) at the pictures of her cousins that we have on our bookshelf, and waves at Woody (from Toy Story), who also sits on the bookshelf.

Toward the end of her bath, as the water drains out of the tub, I guess she knows bathtime is almost over, because she starts handing her bath toys to me one by one to put away.  It's just so much fun to watch her learn and put two and two together.

She 'talks' ALL the time now, and the babble is beginning to sound more and more conversational.  While she's talking, she points and gestures toward things, like she's really telling us something.  Too bad we still can't figure out what any of it is yet.  But that doesn't stop us from talking back.  We try our best to guess at what she's saying and then answer appropriately (or not). ;) 

Anyway, I digress.  All this just to illustrate how freaking adorable my little Munchie is with all that she's doing lately.  Today has just been one big mommy lovefest, one of those joyous days when I'm so completely head over heals that I just eat her right up.


It's so easy to get lost in the day-to-day rigamarole of life, because from the moment we wake up in the morning we're "in it."  Wake up, milk, play, breakfast, nap, wake up, snack, play, outing of some sort, come home, lunch, nap, maybe a walk, play, dinner, bath, bedtime.  That's the basic outline of how our days go.  While I'm in it, it's easy to get so caught up in each task or activity that it's sometimes hard to fully see, feel, and appreciate all the little moments that make up my life.  But then every once in a while, when I'm really lucky, I get a day like today.  One that isn't extraordinarily amazing in any special way, because we had an otherwise 'normal' day.  Yet for some reason I'm able to take a step back and really notice how awesome my baby is (yes, I'm still calling her my baby- get over it), and how awesome my life is.  And I am left with an overwhelming feeling of joy and contentment that years ago I never would have imagined was possible.  (It also really drives home the fact that I don't miss my old job one. single. bit.)


In summary, I have a cute kid, and it was a good day. :)

Comments

Gramma and Grampa C. said…
What's that old saying? Stop and smell the roses! There are so many things that get in the way, things we have to worry about, outside world stuff! Lucy is here to bring you back to what's important to you and Brian. Savor every moment!

Kisses and hugs!
Jen said…
I LOVE days like this. They make me so thankful for what I have and who I share it with :)

Popular Posts