Postcard from the farm

Today Lucy and I met up with Jen and Elliott at Tanaka Farms for some strawberry picking. I remember going to pick strawberries with Lisa and Grandma and Grandpa at Remlinger Farms in Washington when we were young, and we had the best time (and the yummiest strawberries)! I've been wanting to go berry picking for years. Problem is, I missed strawberry season the past couple years. So I was excited when Jen suggested we do it this weekend. Yay!


Tanaka Farms, you may remember, is the working, organic, family farm that was home to one of the pumpkin patches we visited last Fall. Well, this time of year, they have Strawberry Tours, which includes a tour of the farm and picking your own strawberries! Sign us up!


Bonus: Along the tractor-driven tour of the farm, they make a few stops along the way, when you can try freshly picked veggies! Perfect timing, I thought, since Lucy's recent willingness to try veggies. I wasn't sure if she would be game, but she surprised me once again, and tried every single thing offered to us! This included: green onion, spinach, snap peas, and cilantro! The tour guide encouraged everyone to try everything, especially the parents, so that the kids (aka "Junior Farmers") would also be willing to try them. In the event that we didn't care for something, we were instructed to say, "interesting!" (as opposed to, "eew," for instance). Enter, cilantro. Which, I already know I don't care for, however, I am a good mommy, so in an effort to be a good role model, I ate some anyway. "Interesting!" ;)




Alongside the aforementioned vegetables and strawberries, they are also currently growing cabbage, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, and I'm probably forgetting a few things. Everything looked gorgeous, and everything we were able to taste was delicious! Tanaka Farms has a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, and after seeing the crops and sampling some of the veggies today, it really makes me really want to sign up!




Of course, the highlight of the visit was the berry picking. Our admission got us a basket each, that we were able to fill with berries that we picked.




Um, not all the berries may not have made it into the baskets. ;)



It was so much fun- we had a great time!




 
 
In a few months, they will have Watermelon Tours. While it should be a thousand degrees then, it could still be a lot of fun. I think we'll have to go back!



Comments

Popular Posts