News Flash!
Lucy ate chicken today!!
In case you are unaware, our little munchie does. not. eat. meat. The one meat product she will eat is one brand of organic turkey bologna. That's it. She has rarely ever even wanted to take the smallest taste of anything meat related. Getting her to try new food is a frustrating endeavor, and almost always a complete fail. But we are not focusing on that today. Today, we are focusing on the miraculous event that is Lucy eating SEVERAL pieces of chicken. I am still in shock!
The magic chicken was orange chicken from Kikka Sushi at Whole Foods. We often buy her some chow mein from there, but except for a couple isolated incidents of eating sample pieces of chicken handed out at the store, she has refused to eat any when we've tried to give it to her.
We were at the store today to pick up a couple other things, so I decided to get her some noodles for lunch. While there, I saw samples of chicken in tiny cups. I took one - for myself, mind you. I never imagined she would want to taste it. But she did. So I handed her the little stick and piece of chicken, and she took a bite. I half expected her to spit it out on the spot, but then she took another bite and another, and soon she ate the whole piece. So I asked her if she wanted another piece. She said, 'yes.' I nearly fainted over the shopping cart. But I quickly ran back to get the last sample of chicken (I know to strike when the iron is hot). As she was eating that piece (and I alternately stared, mouth agape, and also looked away, trying not to make eye contact so I wouldn't tip her off that she was actually eating chicken), I asked her if she wanted me to get some to take home for lunch. Again, she said, 'yes.' What?? So we got some. I was fully prepared for her to not have any interest when we got home, but I put out a piece (with the stick sticking out of it) and she actually ate it! And wanted more!
OMG, hold me.
By this time, I had taken the above photo for proof and texted it to Brian. I almost cried, I was so excited! She didn't even want her noodles, she just ate the chicken off that stick. (They stick seems to be key. I wonder where I can buy those...hmm...)
She actually also asked for more at dinner, although she didn't eat much of it. Oh well, I didn't care much, considering the momentous occasion we already experienced today. I am not holding my breath that this episode is, in any way, an opening of the floodgates to adding chicken into her food repertoire, since who knows when or if this will happen any time again anytime soon, but I am super excited that it at least happened today. And maybe, just maybe, this means she will start being more open to trying foods. A girl can hope.
ps: I'll be making a trip to Surfas to see if they carry those little sticks.
In case you are unaware, our little munchie does. not. eat. meat. The one meat product she will eat is one brand of organic turkey bologna. That's it. She has rarely ever even wanted to take the smallest taste of anything meat related. Getting her to try new food is a frustrating endeavor, and almost always a complete fail. But we are not focusing on that today. Today, we are focusing on the miraculous event that is Lucy eating SEVERAL pieces of chicken. I am still in shock!
The magic chicken was orange chicken from Kikka Sushi at Whole Foods. We often buy her some chow mein from there, but except for a couple isolated incidents of eating sample pieces of chicken handed out at the store, she has refused to eat any when we've tried to give it to her.
We were at the store today to pick up a couple other things, so I decided to get her some noodles for lunch. While there, I saw samples of chicken in tiny cups. I took one - for myself, mind you. I never imagined she would want to taste it. But she did. So I handed her the little stick and piece of chicken, and she took a bite. I half expected her to spit it out on the spot, but then she took another bite and another, and soon she ate the whole piece. So I asked her if she wanted another piece. She said, 'yes.' I nearly fainted over the shopping cart. But I quickly ran back to get the last sample of chicken (I know to strike when the iron is hot). As she was eating that piece (and I alternately stared, mouth agape, and also looked away, trying not to make eye contact so I wouldn't tip her off that she was actually eating chicken), I asked her if she wanted me to get some to take home for lunch. Again, she said, 'yes.' What?? So we got some. I was fully prepared for her to not have any interest when we got home, but I put out a piece (with the stick sticking out of it) and she actually ate it! And wanted more!
OMG, hold me.
By this time, I had taken the above photo for proof and texted it to Brian. I almost cried, I was so excited! She didn't even want her noodles, she just ate the chicken off that stick. (They stick seems to be key. I wonder where I can buy those...hmm...)
She actually also asked for more at dinner, although she didn't eat much of it. Oh well, I didn't care much, considering the momentous occasion we already experienced today. I am not holding my breath that this episode is, in any way, an opening of the floodgates to adding chicken into her food repertoire, since who knows when or if this will happen any time again anytime soon, but I am super excited that it at least happened today. And maybe, just maybe, this means she will start being more open to trying foods. A girl can hope.
ps: I'll be making a trip to Surfas to see if they carry those little sticks.



Comments