Remembering something or someone you've lost doesn't have to be sad. You don't have to dwell on the simple fact of the loss. Rather, you can, and should, try to focus on everything else that made that special something or someone worth remembering in the first place.
That was my deep thought for the day.
March 11th will always be a special excuse for me to think about my mom all day long. It's been nine years since she passed away. When I think of everything that's happened in those nine years, yes, it does make me sad that she hasn't been here to share it with. Really sad, actually. But that's not what March 11th is about. It's about remembering the 33 years worth of memories I did share with her, and all the other ones she accumulated throughout her 57 years. During one of our last conversations, I distinctly remember being sad and complaining about how unfair it was that I would only have her around for 33 years of my life. (I mean, really. Senior citizens still have their moms around in some cases! 33 years is nothing!) But do you know what she told me? Ever focused on the positive as she was, she said, "Look at it this way- we had 33 years. That's a lot more than a lot of other people get." I thought (and still think) it's a major rip off, but I could hardly argue with her. And so, as always, I try to follow her lead and focus on the positive.

This Remembrance Day was spent in San Diego, visiting with Lucy's grandparents and Great-Aunty Kay and Uncle Bob, who were in town for a visit. We went to a lovely (and delicious!) brunch at
El Bizcocho at the
Rancho Bernardo Inn, and then visited for a while at the house. We had a great time. I wore one of my mom's rings, the one she wore on her pinky finger everyday. After brunch, my wonderful mom-in-law bought a very cute "don't forget ring" that I had been eyeing. Not only is it adorable, but I also loved the idea behind the ring. The message behind it is to remember "to enjoy life, to make a difference, to wish big, to always smile," and that "you are loved" (lots of good stuff). Given the occasion, it now carries further meaning to me. Now the ring will also always remind me of that special day, my mom, and my mom-in-law. And that makes me happy. :)
And as long as we're looking at a picture of my hand, another thing that makes me happy is that I have my mom's hands, just as she had her mom's hands. I am grateful that I made note of this many years ago, and that I can still remember what their hands looked like.
Remembering. It's a good thing.
Comments
Hugs, Susi