Postcard from Disneyland

Yes, we went to Disneyland on the 13th! It had been years since Brian and I had each been there, and it Lucy's very first time. SO exciting!


She's known about Disneyland for a while, since she watches Pixar movies and sees the Disney (castle) icon before each movie. And she obviously knows Mickey Mouse and the gang, as well as many of the Pixar characters from the Toy Story movies, Monsters, Inc., and Finding Nemo, to name a few. We told her a few days beforehand that we would be going to Disneyland, and that she might be able to see some of her favorite characters in person. Periodically throughout the days leading up to D-Day, she would excitedly say, "I'm going to Disneyland!" As if she had been the MVP of the Superbowl. Ha!


We arrived in the general Disney area at around 10:00am, where we parked and caught a shuttle bus from the Woody parking lot to the parks. Lucy was already excited, as she saw some familiar Toy Story characters on the side of the buses, and Woody on the parking lot signs. We decided to go to California Adventure first, since it's a smaller park. We walked around the park and even got to meet Mickey himself! Lucy was excited to see Mickey, and although she was a tiny bit shy, she even gave Mickey "noses" before we had to leave. :)


We also rode on a few rides there, including: Monsters, Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue!, Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, and Francis' Ladybug Boogie.




At the outset, we weren't sure what Lucy would think of the rides, since she's never been on anything like it before, but she seemed to really enjoy it, and she wasn't scared at all!



As we walked over to Disneyland, I started to get excited. I had already prepared myself for hot weather and summer crowds, so all that was left was to enjoy being at "the happiest place on earth." Walking toward the Mickey face in flowers, I remembered all the other times I had been there. I still get excited, walking into Main Street, just like I did when I was a kid. So many familiar sights and sounds!


The first thing we did was ride the Disneyland Railroad train through the park. It was Lucy's first time riding a train, and she was a great passenger.


After that, we met up with our friend Rod and his son Luca at Sleeping Beauty's Castle, then headed for lunch in Mickey's Toontown. After lunch, we all rode one of my perennial favorites rides, It's a Small World. Oh, the nostalgia! I loved how the outside (and much of the inside) looked exactly the same as when we were kids, and I even noticed some newer additions. Lucy seemed to really enjoy it, too. I mean, what's not to like? :)


We had so much fun in Fantasyland! There are so many fun rides, but we wanted to stick with rides where she would be familiar with the characters or would otherwise have fun riding. She knows who Pinnochio (pronounced: "Ninnochio") is, so Pinocchio's Daring Journey was an easy pick, and bonus: shortest line of the day! She enjoyed the first train, so Casey Jr. Circus Train was another easy choice. And although the line for Dumbo the Flying Elephant was the longest of the day (in the hot, hot sun, might I add), it was a no-brainer. She and I stood in line for I don't even know how long for a 2 minute (max) ride, but it was totally worth it! She was actually pretty well-behaved waiting for so long. At times she got antsy, but we also had fun singing songs and talking with other people in line. She loved flying and looking down at all the people, including Daddy. :)




If I had to guess which ride she liked best, it may have been the King Arthur Carousel. From the moment I put her up on the horse, she sat up straight and grabbed hold of the handles on the pole. When we started to move and the horse went up and down, she looked at me with the BIGGEST smile on her face! She LOVED it! And afterwards, she said, "I rode a horse!" :)




After Fantasyland, we headed over to Tomorrowland to ride Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, since she loves Toy Story (aka: "Woody Buzz). This ride was fun- also, I beat Brian at the game, so small bragging rights there. ;) We wanted to check out the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, but the wait was around 45 minutes, which, especially toward the end of the day, meant it was not in the cards this time around. Oh well, something new to do next time! We also completely forgot about the Jungle Cruise, which I think she would have really enjoyed, but again- next time!



By this time, it was almost dinner time, so we decided to get some food before leaving for the day. Both Brian and I have fond memories of eating at the Carnation Cafe, so that's where we went. :)


After that- an ice cream cone for desert at the ice cream parlor next door and a quick walk through the gift shop emporioum for a souvenir, and then we headed home.


I was sad to leave - just as I always was when I was little - but we wanted to get Lucy home in time to have (a late) dinner before bed. She did SO well for going without a single nap! But, not surprisingly, she was out within five minutes of being in the car on the ride home. Sweet girl.


Thank you, Disneyland, for such a wonderfully fun day! Can't wait to return (hopefully sooner rather than later)!

Comments

Gramma and Grampa C. said…
Oh, my gosh! Such memories! Mom and Dad, you'll remember this trip just as Grampa C. and I remember taking Daddy and Auntie Shel. What a special, special day for you all!
aunty sister said…
YEAH! Uncle Mister and I were so excited to know that you all were going to Disneyland, the happiest place on earth! We were even more excited to hear about your adventure and see just how much fun you had. I'm glad you loved the carousel - it is one of my favorite rides too!
XO!
Grampa and Gramma F. said…
Really, the happiest place on earth! Lucy, We don't know who was the most excited, Mom and Dad or you. Us Moms and Dads treasure all of our kids smiles, laughter, and excitement, for the 'first' Disneyland adventure. From what we understand, Uncle Mister was smiling the whole time you
were there. He, and in fact, all of us, were there with you! We're sure you'll have many more trips back there. So tired though huh? But,such happy dreams. Bet you smiled while you slept!

Popular Posts