40 is the new 30

(At least that's what I keep hearing!)

Yup, I'm 40 years old today. It hardly seems right, but I have the birth certificate to prove it. On the upside, I did use it as an excuse to go to the spa for a couple of blissful hours. I got an amazing facial by (the amazing) Olga, and my very first hot stone massage. And to justify the massage upgrade, I may or may not have uttered the phrase, "Hey, you only turn forty once!" So, I guess turning forty has its advantages. ;)

Really, turning the big 4-0 doesn't bother me...much. Turning 30 was much more traumatic. Or, should I say, 29. In anticipation of 30. (Yeah, I had my breakdown a year early-I plan ahead.) At that age, I was single, in a dead-end job, and in debt- not overwhelmingly happy and nowhere near where I *thought* I would/should be by the time I reached that age.

Hands-down the best part about being 30 was the surprise birthday dinner thrown for me at Kincaid's and the extra special book Lisa put together for me with pictures and messages from my family and friends. I came across the book yesterday while going through boxes. (We're in the process of clearing out the second bedroom to make room for Lucy.) It truly is one of my most cherished possessions. That, and the photo taken at my birthday dinner. When I look at that picture, my heart fills with joy. All I see is love.

My family. top l to r: Aunty Carmen, Mom, Ashley, Lisa Anne, Uncle Howard, Faye, Dad, Uncle Arthur, Lance.
bottom l to r: Me, Cindy, Kate, Darin, Wade, Jack, Lisa, Kelli. (Reid was there in spirit.)

Ten years later, I find myself surrounded by even more love. Not only do I still have the family in that photo, more kiddos were born since then, and I now have a whole new family, too! I am married to the most incredible human I know,

My guy.

I am the mom of the most adorable baby I know,

My girl.

I have a "job" that is both challenging and rewarding in ways I couldn't have ever imagined, and I am debt-free! Life truly is good, I am blessed and grateful, and I have no real complaints...Well, other than the fact that I have to be "40"- it still just sounds so wrong. ;)

I'm not one for resolutions, but if there's one thing I'm always striving to do more of, it is to be present, amidst whatever craziness is going on during the day, so I can fully appreciate this precious time Lucy. I know this time will go by quickly, and I know I won't be able to get it back. So my goal is to step back, slow down, and live in the moment as much as possible. I think some days will be easier than others, but it's still a good goal to keep in mind.

I also have some homey-crafty goals for this year, which include three things I've been (talking about) wanting to do for years now: learn how to crochet, bake bread, and make jam. And of course I will continue to knit, and hopefully will also expand my cooking and baking repertoire. I think it's going to be a great year!

Me (self portrait at 40).

Forty, schmorty!

Comments

Popular Posts