Week 31: Oranges

According to BabyCenter, Bean measures over 16 inches long, weighs about 3.3 pounds (roughly the same amount as 4 navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt. She can turn her head from side to side, and her arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as fat accumulates underneath her skin. Yeah, if my belly is any indication, she certainly is growing in there!

They also note that she should be moving around a lot more now, which I can certainly attest to. She seems to be a night gal (great...), as I notice a lot of activity later in the evenings. But, she doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night or anything like that (I do that to myself), so maybe that's a good sign. Brian and I wish we could see what all she's doing in there that causes my belly to rumble around in different places, but oh well. We'll just have to use our imaginations, I guess. The kicking (or however you want to describe it) is so interesting and cool! It's a feeling I wish I could adequately describe to anyone who hasn't felt it, and a feeling I hope I will be able to accurately remember long after her birth. It's definitely one of the coolest parts about being pregnant. Aside from the whole, you know, knowing you're growing a person inside you thing!

Bump at 31 weeks

So, 31 weeks. Which means we have roughly 9 weeks to go, give or take. 9 weeks! Nine! How did this happen? Well, the single-digit countdown has begun, as have even more preparations. We're taking an infant care class next month, and I'm looking into a breastfeeding class as well (we're skipping the hospital "childbirth" class). Some people have asked if we're doing Lamaze and the answer is no. Although I do want to try for "natural" (drug-free) childbirth, I'm preparing for that using hypnobirthing techniques from Hypnobabies instead of Lamaze or Bradley. That said, I'm not completely insane, so if I find that chemical intervention is needed, I am open to that option as well- whatever is needed for Bean to arrive safely (and for me to not keel over) is what we'll do. Ideally, though, I would like to go the drug-free route inasmuch as that's possible. Skeptics, (keep your opinions to yourself and) roll your eyes if you must, but I'm gonna give it a go!

Full-length bump (and a crazy shadow)

We're also officially on our way in the baby gear department, now able to cross a few biggies off our list. We bought dressers that will double as- well, dressers, and also as a changing table. The stroller we ordered several weeks ago finally arrived, and we also received Bean's co-sleeper (thank you again, Grandma & Grandpa C!) - yay! So some of the major pieces of equipment are coming together. Next biggie on the list: car seat and car seat adapter for the stroller. Then Bean will have somewhere to sleep AND be able to get around! :) We still have a lot to get in order, but things are definitely coming together, and every time we can cross another item off the list, it feels good and I think it makes us feel just that much more ready. (Note: I do not in any way, shape, or form feel all the way ready...yet!)

In the spirit of full-disclosure: Side-ish angle shot, in which I look ginormous

Funny how the angle can make such a difference- I look HUGE here! All I can think of when I see this photo is that episode of "Friends" where they're watching an old video of Monica and Rachel in high school and they see chubby Monica for the first time. She says something about the camera adding 10 lbs. and Chandler said, "So how many cameras are on you??"

Comments

Popular Posts