Week 29: Butternut Squash
According to BabyCenter, Bean now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a little over 15 inches long from head to heel. Her muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and her head is growing bigger to make room for her developing brain.
So, life with GD has been okay. I've been monitoring and testing for a week and a half and it hasn't been the hardest thing ever, but it hasn't been the easiest, either. Yes, it takes a little bit - okay, a lot - of extra effort when planning and preparing for meals and snacks. Yes, calculating my carbs before every meal is sometimes a challenge. Yes, remembering when to test myself also takes extra brainpower (hey- it might not sound like a lot, but you try remembering things when you've got pregnancy brain- especially when you're already forgetful). Yes, the finger-pricking still hurts a little every time, and I get nervous anticipating my number each time. Yes, the timing of meals and testing can be complicated (e.g. on weeknights). With my schedule I barely have 2 waking hours at home in the evenings as it is, so allotting enough time to prepare a meal, eat, and then test myself two hours later and eat a snack, all before bedtime- you can see how this can be problematic. I've had to stay up late a few times just so that I could test myself two hours after dinner, and then quickly down a snack before bed. *rolls eyes*
All that said though, I guess it hasn't been that bad. I'm definitely eating healthier foods and I'm not overeating (anymore?). I'm eating smaller meals (than most normal sized humans), but the mandatory snacks really do make up for it. Thank goodness for snacks! I'm usually more of a grazer when it comes to snacking, and with this I can't really do that, so that's also healthier. I'm learning a lot about carbs and even how exercise and water consumption affects my glucose levels (and as an extension, my body in general). Preggy women are supposed to get a lot of water anyway, and it's even more important with GD. Luckily, I'm used to drinking a good amount of water, but I've upped my intake level even more. You should see how much water I'm drinking, people! Oy vey! But it has to be done. And it really does make me feel better. Overall, this whole thing has definitely been a learning experience. I'm getting into a routine with it all and I'm sure it'll get even easier over time. How's that for positivity?
With all of this going on, it really does help to focus on the positive, and really, the good by far outweighs the bad, so I am always grateful for that. On the "yay!" side of things, our little lady has really increased her activity level as of late...or more likely, she's bigger and there's less room, so I can feel (and see) it more. In any case, she's been kicking (or whatever she's doing in there- somersaults?) in long enough increments that Brian has been able to feel (and see) it, too. It makes me happy that he's able to share in this part of it, at least somewhat. It's so cool!
Last Saturday we went to take a tour of the hospital in Santa Monica where Bean will be born. It's the same hospital where Kyra and Ally were born, so we were already familiar with it, but it was nice to see the place again after almost 3 years, learn about the admission process, as well as get to see the rooms again. We know of several couples (besides Lisa and Reid) who have given birth there and everyone has had only positive experiences there, plus I saw firsthand how great the nurses and staff are there, so I feel really good about it. We've already submitted our pre-admission forms, so we should be good to go...on the paperwork end of things, that is!
We've also been up to a few minor home improvements around the house. Brian (my hero) has been playing exterminator (we'll just leave it at that, please) and he's been putting together a big ol' emergency preparedness kit for us. Additionally, we acquired a portable A/C unit- yes, by all means, you may applaud! If you've been anywhere near our place during the summer (or have heard either of us complain about how insanely hot it gets), you will appreciate how truly exciting this is! Hopefully this will make this summer bearable. It certainly couldn't make it any worse!
And as I mentioned last week, we've been working diligently on our baby registry/wish list. We decided to go with a Babies R Us registry and an Amazon wish list for any items not carried at BRU (see links in the sidebar to the right). A note about the Amazon wish list: You're probably already familiar with their wish list feature, but I also just learned (thanks, Jen!) that you may now create a "universal" wish list. This feature allows you to add items sold through Amazon and their affiliates, as well as items from outside websites/stores (i.e. Pottery Barn Kids. To purchase these items, there is a direct link to the store). How cool is that? Pretty nifty, if you ask me! I've been hitting up friends and new moms for recommendations, and Lisa graciously accompanied me to a certain baby megastore last week to help me weed through the crap we should have as opposed to the crap we absolutely don't need (this was super helpful). These lists will be a work in progress as we decide on things, but I've added links to the sidebar now, since some people have been asking about it.
And last but not least, amidst all the third trimester craziness, I've been finding refuge in knitting. I just finished Bean's first knitted item- a little tee!
This should be perfect for summer. I can't wait to see it on her! :)
So, life with GD has been okay. I've been monitoring and testing for a week and a half and it hasn't been the hardest thing ever, but it hasn't been the easiest, either. Yes, it takes a little bit - okay, a lot - of extra effort when planning and preparing for meals and snacks. Yes, calculating my carbs before every meal is sometimes a challenge. Yes, remembering when to test myself also takes extra brainpower (hey- it might not sound like a lot, but you try remembering things when you've got pregnancy brain- especially when you're already forgetful). Yes, the finger-pricking still hurts a little every time, and I get nervous anticipating my number each time. Yes, the timing of meals and testing can be complicated (e.g. on weeknights). With my schedule I barely have 2 waking hours at home in the evenings as it is, so allotting enough time to prepare a meal, eat, and then test myself two hours later and eat a snack, all before bedtime- you can see how this can be problematic. I've had to stay up late a few times just so that I could test myself two hours after dinner, and then quickly down a snack before bed. *rolls eyes*All that said though, I guess it hasn't been that bad. I'm definitely eating healthier foods and I'm not overeating (anymore?). I'm eating smaller meals (than most normal sized humans), but the mandatory snacks really do make up for it. Thank goodness for snacks! I'm usually more of a grazer when it comes to snacking, and with this I can't really do that, so that's also healthier. I'm learning a lot about carbs and even how exercise and water consumption affects my glucose levels (and as an extension, my body in general). Preggy women are supposed to get a lot of water anyway, and it's even more important with GD. Luckily, I'm used to drinking a good amount of water, but I've upped my intake level even more. You should see how much water I'm drinking, people! Oy vey! But it has to be done. And it really does make me feel better. Overall, this whole thing has definitely been a learning experience. I'm getting into a routine with it all and I'm sure it'll get even easier over time. How's that for positivity?
With all of this going on, it really does help to focus on the positive, and really, the good by far outweighs the bad, so I am always grateful for that. On the "yay!" side of things, our little lady has really increased her activity level as of late...or more likely, she's bigger and there's less room, so I can feel (and see) it more. In any case, she's been kicking (or whatever she's doing in there- somersaults?) in long enough increments that Brian has been able to feel (and see) it, too. It makes me happy that he's able to share in this part of it, at least somewhat. It's so cool!
Last Saturday we went to take a tour of the hospital in Santa Monica where Bean will be born. It's the same hospital where Kyra and Ally were born, so we were already familiar with it, but it was nice to see the place again after almost 3 years, learn about the admission process, as well as get to see the rooms again. We know of several couples (besides Lisa and Reid) who have given birth there and everyone has had only positive experiences there, plus I saw firsthand how great the nurses and staff are there, so I feel really good about it. We've already submitted our pre-admission forms, so we should be good to go...on the paperwork end of things, that is!
We've also been up to a few minor home improvements around the house. Brian (my hero) has been playing exterminator (we'll just leave it at that, please) and he's been putting together a big ol' emergency preparedness kit for us. Additionally, we acquired a portable A/C unit- yes, by all means, you may applaud! If you've been anywhere near our place during the summer (or have heard either of us complain about how insanely hot it gets), you will appreciate how truly exciting this is! Hopefully this will make this summer bearable. It certainly couldn't make it any worse!
And as I mentioned last week, we've been working diligently on our baby registry/wish list. We decided to go with a Babies R Us registry and an Amazon wish list for any items not carried at BRU (see links in the sidebar to the right). A note about the Amazon wish list: You're probably already familiar with their wish list feature, but I also just learned (thanks, Jen!) that you may now create a "universal" wish list. This feature allows you to add items sold through Amazon and their affiliates, as well as items from outside websites/stores (i.e. Pottery Barn Kids. To purchase these items, there is a direct link to the store). How cool is that? Pretty nifty, if you ask me! I've been hitting up friends and new moms for recommendations, and Lisa graciously accompanied me to a certain baby megastore last week to help me weed through the crap we should have as opposed to the crap we absolutely don't need (this was super helpful). These lists will be a work in progress as we decide on things, but I've added links to the sidebar now, since some people have been asking about it.
And last but not least, amidst all the third trimester craziness, I've been finding refuge in knitting. I just finished Bean's first knitted item- a little tee!
This should be perfect for summer. I can't wait to see it on her! :)



Comments