Week 23: Mango

According to BabyCenter, Bean is now more than 11 inches long and weighs just over a pound, or roughly the same amount as a large mango. Indeed, we were told at our doctor's appointment last week that she was around a pound and 3 ounces. I guess I just never really realized that mangos weigh over a pound. Hmm.

They go on to say that blood vessels in her lungs are developing to prepare for breathing, and the sounds that her ears pick up are preparing her for entry into the outside world. Loud noises that become familiar now — such as the dog barking or the roar of the vacuum cleaner — (two noises that don't occur all that often, really, unless the UPS guy comes to the door or it's time to vacuum the bedroom again *ahem*) probably won't faze her when she hears them outside the womb. Supposedly her sense of movement is well developed by now, so she can feel me dance. (Someone turn up the Justin!)

Speaking of movement, I've been feeling her a lot more lately. Still no "kicks" per se, but lots more movement. It's pretty awesome. Recently I've noticed that I can feel her a lot more when I'm lying down and/or am feeling really relaxed. For instance, Bean was really active the other morning while I was getting my very first (and mark my words, it won't be my last) prenatal massage. Wouldn't you know it- she likes the spa, too! :)

Okay, I don't know if she likes the spa this* much!

That massage marked the beginning of a wonderful (and romantic) weekend. Brian and I "officially" celebrated Valentine's Day on V-Day Eve with a very tasty dinner at one of the newer restaurants in our neighborhood, Fraiche, and dessert (cupcakes and chocolate-covered strawberries) at home. On V-Day itself, we had a lovely afternoon date that consisted of lunch at one of our favorite neighborhood joints, Tender Greens, and a matinee of Slumdog Millionaire. (I completely adore our neighborhood. The fact that we have tons of yummy eateries and theaters within walking distance, and the fact that we really do take advantage of this often, makes me very happy. It's a rare occurrence to find a neighborhood like this in Southern California.) As we walked around the 'hood, I felt lucky and happy to be right there, right then, in that moment. I have to admit, however, that I also felt a tinge of sadness, thinking that moments like these - of just the two of us casually strolling around on a Saturday afternoon - would most likely soon become few and far between. And yet, I am aware that we are also in store for many more moments filled with even greater levels of joy and happiness that I'm sure I cannot even begin to imagine at this point in time- so it's all good. ...Also, there are things called baby-sitters, right? ;)

Anyway, let's see, what else is going on?

- It was cold and wet for much of the weekend (which I have no problem with at all).
- Brian has been working a lot, but getting paid for it, so that's nice.
- Bean and I are getting bigger and bigger.
- Dakota is his usual sweet, cuddly, and amusing self- lately he seems as though he's trying to "talk" to us.
- I'm fighting the urge I feel from time to time to waddle.
- I burp quite a bit (surely this only adds to my charm), and make lots of noises when I have to move around or adjust sleeping positions (ditto).
- The snoogle seems to be helpful.
- I think I *need* to bake some chocolate chip cookies in the very near future.

Yup, that's about it.

Comments

Popular Posts