Week 22: Spaghetti Squash
According to BabyCenter, Bean is now approximately 11 inches long and is starting to look like a miniature newborn. Hers lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, an she's even developing tiny tooth buds beneath her gums. Her eyes have formed, but her irises still lack pigment. Inside her belly, her pancreas — essential for the production of some important hormones — is developing steadily.We had a screen ultrasound Wednesday morning, where the doctor takes a more in-depth look at the baby and takes measurements, to make sure that she is developing normally. Good news - everything looks good! Bean weighs an estimated 1 pound and 3 ounces. :) She is currently in a breach position, but the doctor said that approximately 30% of babies at this stage are still breach, but only around 3% end up that way at the end, so it's nothing to worry about. He confirmed that she has a strong beating heart with healthy arteries, two separate lobes in her brain, functioning kidneys and bladder, all her limbs, no cleft palate, and yes, a vajayjay. We were able to see her and hands open and close, her legs, spine, and cute little face. Squeee!
I cannot tell you how reassuring it is to be able to see her during these ultrasounds. I've been feeling more movements lately- still no real "kicking", more like popcorn popping - and Brian was even able to feel it! But it's always nice to be able to see her and receive confirmation that all is well in there. It's not like I can just ask her, or x-ray vision in there myself. ;) As per the norm, I tend to get a little nervous before an appointment, but then am quickly calmed when everything is well. It always feels good to breathe that sigh of relief as we depart the doctor's office.
Other than that, not much news to report. I feel like my belly is getting bigger by the day- which makes sense, of course, but sheesh! I really don't mind it. I think I already mentioned before, but it's worth stating again how much I really am loving being pregnant. I don't at all get the women who didn't/don't enjoy being pregnant, who just want to get it over with. It's AMAZING!! Although I must say that I'm beginning to feel the effects of getting bigger. Moving around is getting a little more laborious, and I notice it even while doing normal activities. It makes me think about people who are really overweight. How do they do it??
Why yes, I am wearing a sweater AND a coat that don't so much close anymore. Wanna make something of it?Despite the above, I'm told that I'm right on track with regards to the amount of weight I've been steadily gaining, so that's good. And truth be told, I'm enjoying watching my belly grow, because I know that means Bean is also growing. Still not super happy with how my butt/hips/thigh region is also growing, but hey. I was never delusional- I never thought hat I would be one of those teeny tiny girls, whose only evidence of pregnancy is a bump up front. I come from a line of pear-shaped women, we carry weight in the mid-to-low region, I know this. Still, seeing the skinny-minny girl in the doctor's office waiting room yesterday - who, by the way, had zero % body fat aside from the bump (and I'm talking no visible hips and the smallest butt ever) - well that's just kind of like a slap in the face. But, I digress... Oh yeah, weight gain. Honestly, all joking aside, I'm okay with it at this point. It's actually nice to finally look obviously pregnant to the world. As my friend Anne-Marie said, "Belly out, with pride!" Indeed! :)
To help with sleeping, I caved in and bought a Snoogle last weekend. I'd bought a standard, run-of-the-mill body pillow a couple weeks ago, to help support my back while sleeping. It worked to a certain degree, but I found that I really did need more support, so I decided to try a Snoogle. It seems to be helping (yay). It's hard for me to sleep in one position (on my left side) all night, and a Snoogle isn't exactly conducive to flipping over easily, but it does prevent me from winding up flat on my back for the most part, so that's been good. And my lower back hasn't been as sore in the morning- also good. So, we'll see.
In other news, BIG CONGRATS to Jen, who gave birth to an adorable son last week Friday! Welcome to the world, Elliot! I can't wait to meet you in person!


Comments