Big kids

Tomorrow, the gang and I will be participating a 5K.* Today, we had to pick up our registration packets. We decided to make a lunch date out of it. Sounds innocent enough, until you consider how big our little group has become: 6 moms, 6 two year-olds, and 3 babies. And a few people couldn't make it, so that's not even all of us! We decided on Souplantation, chosen for its proximity to the pick-up location. Most of us (me included) hadn't been to Souplantation in well over a decade, but we figured it would be a good choice. And, it actually was! We set up shop in a corner of the restaurant, and someone had the idea to try having a kids' table for the first time. Um..., I thought. Well okay, we could try it. The kids, of course, loved the idea from the get go!


Moms found ourselves eating as quickly as possible at our table, anticipating meltdowns at any moment. But, aside from a couple of stragglers, the kids did surprisingly well sitting at their table. I mean, I, for one, was impressed. Lucy did great. She got up a couple times to ask for something, but she actually sat with her friends and ate her lunch. Which is somewhat surprising on both fronts.



Toward the end (and after the sugar from the frozen yogurt kicked in), we lost them a little, but they were having so much fun. :)


After trips to the potty, we made our way to pick up our registration packets, and the kids enjoyed the water fountain. They threw coins into the fountain and made wishes, and then couldn't resist dipping their little feet in the water... that is, until the security guard ruined a perfectly good time. ;)


Such a lunch date, spent with good friends (both big and little). I love these people!

Changing the topic, but still talking about a person I love, I have to give it up to awesome, 17 year-old Jack, who is featured in the Small Business page of The Huffington Post today! HOW COOL IS THAT?? Way to go, Jack!

* We are participating in a 5K called Race for Success, proceeds of which go to local schools, including our own neighborhood elementary school, which will open this fall. My first 5K! I recently re-started the Couch-to-5K training program I initially completed last year, but I'm only in Week 3 of that, so I will be walking and running tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts