Let's Potty!
Warning: This post is long and contains words like 'pee' and 'poop.' If this isn't your thing, feel free to skip it. It's just a HUGE developmental milestone around here, so I need to document it.
So...potty training.
*sigh*
I will start by saying that, despite the above sigh and knocking on all available wood surfaces, that potty training is currently going quite well. For where we are right now, exactly three weeks in, I couldn't be happier, more pleased, and more...relieved!
I had been dreading the whole process (for approximately 2.5 years), content to put it off for as long as possible. If it weren't for preschool in the fall requiring her to be potty-trained, I would've been happy to have put it off a little longer. It was looming out there, like a dark, scary cloud of doom. Recently, it became apparent that I wasn't alone with my feelings of apprehension and dread. Potty training has been on the brain of not just me, but all of my friends with toddlers around Lucy's age. Everyone's been talking about it, everyone's been stressed out about it- especially the ones whose kids are planning to attend a preschool like Lucy's, which requires the kids to be potty-trained. The ones whose kids are going to schools which don't require it are still stressed out about it, but just without the added pressure and deadline. The subject is discussed all. the. time. And all of a sudden, *everyone* seemed to be starting potty-training at the same time (before I was ready, mind you). The person who really inspired me to suck it up and give it a try was when Alicia told me that Lucy's BFF Bregan started. After hearing Alicia's story, which was begun on a sort of whim one rainy weekend, but with great results, I was really encouraged. I was feeling more anxious, yet more motivated than ever to try it.
About a week before we started, we went over to B's house for a playdate. While the girls were playing, B stopped to use the potty. I was sort of hoping that would happen, so that Lucy would see B doing it, and hope that would spark her interest. And sure enough, when we got home, Lucy bought her little potty (which she had recently had zero interest in for months) into the living room and wanted to take off her pants and diapers and sit on her potty like B. Nothing happened, but I was thrilled that she showed any interest at all, since I know she wouldn't have done that, had she not watched B use the potty. She repeated that in the days following, both in the morning and afternoon after she woke up from her nap. She didn't ever *go* (she just sat on it while she watched TV), but I was very encouraged that she showed some interest in going through some of the motions.
Because of her apparent interest for the first time, I decided it was time for me to suck it up and give it a try the following weekend. I decided to follow what Alicia did- no diapers or pants while at home (except during sleep times). Saturday, May 31st was officially Day 1. We were out of the house in the morning, but when we got back until nap time, and then after nap time until bath time, she was bare from the waist down. I talked to her about letting me know if she felt like she needed to pee. And then I kept bugging her, asking her periodically if she had to go. She kept saying, "no." And indeed, she never went (while she was diaperless). Oh well, I couldn't complain- no accidents!
Day 2 was the first day she actually peed in the potty. (She had peed prior to that, but just a couple of droplets, hardly anything.) We left the house in the morning to go to breakfast and the grocery store, but took off the pants and diapers when we got home. I left to run a couple more errands, and Lucy pee'd on the potty, which I heard about when I returned. According to Brian, he kept asking her and she said she didn't have to go. Then at one point, she said, "I'm having an accident," and sure enough, she was. (I was proud of her for saying that!) So he encouraged her to go sit on the potty. She walked over to it, but then apparently wanted nothing to do with it. Knowing that she was going to have to pee more, he pretty much held her down (whilst screaming, so I hear). Eventually, she did it. He said she seemed freaked out, even though he was excited and congratulated her. But then she was fine after a couple minutes. When I got home, they were in the bathroom and she told me what she had done. I was SO excited! I jumped up and down and grabbed her hands and sang a potty song "You peed on the potty, you peed on the potty!") and we danced around. She seemed really excited and proud. She showed me the sticker she earned. :) I was so relieved that she had done it once and got the first time out of the way! I was feeling very encouraged!
After nap time, off the diaper went again, and she didn't want a top either, so we had a bare Bean all afternoon. While I was making her dinner, it looked as if she was needing to go, but she wouldn't say so. Finally Brian was able to get her to sit on the potty, using Veggie Booty as a bribe. She was very reluctant, to say the least, but to his credit, he got her to stay on there, and eventually she peed! And according to Brian, her reaction was much calmer than the first time. Again, I did my chant and we danced, emptied the potty, and put up another sticker on her chart. OMG- yay!!! So after two days, we had one successful pee on the potty. I was really excited! I mean, I was still in dread mode, thinking about more battles ahead, but I was also relieved that the process had at least begun and she was getting to know what it felt like. I was actually glad she had an accident, so she would know what that felt like, too.
Day 3 was an experiment. We went over to our friend Lori's house for art in the afternoon, and we tried to have Lucy in undies instead of a diaper. I asked her what she preferred to wear, and she chose undies, so I thought it would be a good chance to see what would happen, in a safe environment. The whole way there, and even after we got there I kept reminding her to let me know if she had to pee, and she said okay. Well, things didn't go that way. She had two accidents while we were there. I felt really bad, like I set her up for failure, trying to get her to do something she wasn't ready for. So then I decided it was time to do something more drastic, which was take at least the next three days off from all activities, to stay home- a self-imposed house arrest, to concentrate on potty training. It was important to me to allow Lucy to have more opportunities for successful pees on the potty, so we stayed home. All day. Those were long days, and she only peed once while out of her diaper each day, but it was something. She knew it was there and ready for her when she was ready.
The next week or so was slow going. In the beginning, she was resistant to sitting on the potty and would hold her pee (and poop) for hours, and usually pee on the potty once a day, after much prodding and waiting. It was stressful, and I was getting discouraged. But, that was the last time she had an accident!
The following week, Brian was on vacation and went on long car rides and all-day trips to amusement parks. We decided to put Lucy in a diaper for these things, but she was in undies anytime she was been home (and awake.) I was a little concerned that this might confuse her as to when she needed to let us know when she had to go, as opposed to when she could just go. But at Disneyland she actually told us twice when she had peed, so we could change her diaper, which she never used to do, so we were encouraged. We continued to work with her while we were at home, and then a couple days later, she actually told us that she needed to pee, then sat down on the potty and peed right away. This was a new thing. We were so excited!
The next big step occurred on Day 13, when she pooped on the potty for the first time! I was really afraid that she would be reluctant and freaked out about pooping on the potty, since she was so freaked out in the beginning about just peeing and I've heard lots of kids have issues with pooping, but no! We didn't even know what she was doing until she was done! Whereas she always announces when she needs to pee or is peeing, she didn't say anything. She was already sitting on the potty, we weren't paying much attention, and then all of a sudden she said, "I pooped!" And she was as excited as she gets about peeing. OMG! We were shocked, and SO excited (I still can't believe that happened)! She's only pooped on the potty once since then, but she doesn't seem to be adverse to it, so I'm hopeful. Another new development occurred the next day, 14 days in, when she randomly initiating when she has to go, and then going on her own. She lets us know when she has to go by saying, "I need to pee," or, "I need to pee and poop" (even if she just needs to pee), takes off her undies, then goes to sit on the potty to pee. It might not sound like a lot, but trust me- it's a major breakthrough!
Day 15 saw another little milestone, when she peed in the Potette Plus travel potty for the first time. We went to the Natural History Museum, and decided to try going diaperless. We tried to get her to use the potette in the car after breakfast, before we went into the museum, but she didn't do anything. Then we kept asking her if she had to go. She didn't, but when we returned to the car, we asked her if she wanted to use the potty before the drive home, she said, "Yes," and then proceeded to pee in it! We were so excited! I think this is the first time we noticed that she could hold it while we were out, and then pee in an appropriate place (as opposed to having accidents). Pretty advanced potty training, if you ask me! Since then, when we've been out, she is able to hold it, then will either tell me when she needs to pee, or wait until I ask her. It's amazing! (Incidentally, I love the potette. It came highly recommended, and I would also highly recommend it. It can be used as a free-standing potty, as well as a potty seat to be placed on top of regular toilets. Kind of a pain to haul around everywhere, but it really does come in handy.)
Day 18 was another biggie- the first time she used 'public' toilets, with the aid of the potette. The first time was at mommy & me school, and then later that afternoon at the mall. I was a little nervous at school, since she would be away from me for an hour, but I made sure she knew who to tell on the playground if she needed to pee. Brian had a feeling she would just hold it like she did at the museum, but I wasn't so sure. But sure enough, she held it until lunchtime. Then she told me she wanted to pee, so we went into the bathroom, and she did it! Afterward, she said, "I did it! I'm potty-trained!" Ha! And then ran out of the bathroom and proceeded to tell Ivette what she did and get a hug. :) Unfortunately, my phone fell out of my pocket during all the excitement, so we had to go to the apple store at the mall later that afternoon to get it fixed. That's when she told me she needed to pee. Um, what? And lose my place in line? ;) Luckily, it was very shortly after that it was my turn, so I was able to hand off my phone to someone to fix while we made a getaway for the mall restroom. I wasn't sure how she would feel about using a big (loud) restroom, but she was totally fine, and even excited. She has been open to peeing in public restrooms since then, too, which is SUCH a relief.
Fast forward to today, Day 23- she's doing great! She hasn't had an accident since that afternoon at Lori's house. She's used the regular toilet at home a few times, but she usually chooses to use her little potty, which is currently housed in the living room. At this point, I don't care where she goes, as long as she goes! We still make a big deal out of it every time she goes. She gets a sticker to put on her reward chart each times she goes, which she gets really excited about. She likes to put each sticker on by herself, on the designated number ("This goes on number 4." It's pretty cool to see her recognize each number, 1-12!) And then she gets really excited when a row is complete ("I finished a whole row!"), because that's when she gets an extra special treat, like a new toy, or a bowl of ice cream for dessert that night. We also succumbed to to ol' m&m reward system, but hey- they're small, and it won't be forever. The main thing is she is watching her excitement every time she goes, and getting her sticker and her treat. I love that she is always so excited and proud of herself, and even more that that- I couldn't be more excited and proud of her!
So anyway, that's that for now. As much as I was dreading this whole process beforehand, I am even more happy and relieved, now we're three weeks into it and seeing how great she's doing! I am so proud of her for how far she's come in just a few weeks. I know this is only the beginning, but I can't help but be really encouraged. Now she only wears a diaper when she goes to sleep. It is somewhat bittersweet, because she seems so much more grown up now, running around in her Hello Kitty and Minnie Mouse undies instead of a diaper. *sniff* But mostly it's very exciting. I mean, SHE IS DOING IT! YAY!!
So...potty training.
*sigh*
I will start by saying that, despite the above sigh and knocking on all available wood surfaces, that potty training is currently going quite well. For where we are right now, exactly three weeks in, I couldn't be happier, more pleased, and more...relieved!
I had been dreading the whole process (for approximately 2.5 years), content to put it off for as long as possible. If it weren't for preschool in the fall requiring her to be potty-trained, I would've been happy to have put it off a little longer. It was looming out there, like a dark, scary cloud of doom. Recently, it became apparent that I wasn't alone with my feelings of apprehension and dread. Potty training has been on the brain of not just me, but all of my friends with toddlers around Lucy's age. Everyone's been talking about it, everyone's been stressed out about it- especially the ones whose kids are planning to attend a preschool like Lucy's, which requires the kids to be potty-trained. The ones whose kids are going to schools which don't require it are still stressed out about it, but just without the added pressure and deadline. The subject is discussed all. the. time. And all of a sudden, *everyone* seemed to be starting potty-training at the same time (before I was ready, mind you). The person who really inspired me to suck it up and give it a try was when Alicia told me that Lucy's BFF Bregan started. After hearing Alicia's story, which was begun on a sort of whim one rainy weekend, but with great results, I was really encouraged. I was feeling more anxious, yet more motivated than ever to try it.
About a week before we started, we went over to B's house for a playdate. While the girls were playing, B stopped to use the potty. I was sort of hoping that would happen, so that Lucy would see B doing it, and hope that would spark her interest. And sure enough, when we got home, Lucy bought her little potty (which she had recently had zero interest in for months) into the living room and wanted to take off her pants and diapers and sit on her potty like B. Nothing happened, but I was thrilled that she showed any interest at all, since I know she wouldn't have done that, had she not watched B use the potty. She repeated that in the days following, both in the morning and afternoon after she woke up from her nap. She didn't ever *go* (she just sat on it while she watched TV), but I was very encouraged that she showed some interest in going through some of the motions.
Because of her apparent interest for the first time, I decided it was time for me to suck it up and give it a try the following weekend. I decided to follow what Alicia did- no diapers or pants while at home (except during sleep times). Saturday, May 31st was officially Day 1. We were out of the house in the morning, but when we got back until nap time, and then after nap time until bath time, she was bare from the waist down. I talked to her about letting me know if she felt like she needed to pee. And then I kept bugging her, asking her periodically if she had to go. She kept saying, "no." And indeed, she never went (while she was diaperless). Oh well, I couldn't complain- no accidents!
Day 2 was the first day she actually peed in the potty. (She had peed prior to that, but just a couple of droplets, hardly anything.) We left the house in the morning to go to breakfast and the grocery store, but took off the pants and diapers when we got home. I left to run a couple more errands, and Lucy pee'd on the potty, which I heard about when I returned. According to Brian, he kept asking her and she said she didn't have to go. Then at one point, she said, "I'm having an accident," and sure enough, she was. (I was proud of her for saying that!) So he encouraged her to go sit on the potty. She walked over to it, but then apparently wanted nothing to do with it. Knowing that she was going to have to pee more, he pretty much held her down (whilst screaming, so I hear). Eventually, she did it. He said she seemed freaked out, even though he was excited and congratulated her. But then she was fine after a couple minutes. When I got home, they were in the bathroom and she told me what she had done. I was SO excited! I jumped up and down and grabbed her hands and sang a potty song "You peed on the potty, you peed on the potty!") and we danced around. She seemed really excited and proud. She showed me the sticker she earned. :) I was so relieved that she had done it once and got the first time out of the way! I was feeling very encouraged!
Day 3 was an experiment. We went over to our friend Lori's house for art in the afternoon, and we tried to have Lucy in undies instead of a diaper. I asked her what she preferred to wear, and she chose undies, so I thought it would be a good chance to see what would happen, in a safe environment. The whole way there, and even after we got there I kept reminding her to let me know if she had to pee, and she said okay. Well, things didn't go that way. She had two accidents while we were there. I felt really bad, like I set her up for failure, trying to get her to do something she wasn't ready for. So then I decided it was time to do something more drastic, which was take at least the next three days off from all activities, to stay home- a self-imposed house arrest, to concentrate on potty training. It was important to me to allow Lucy to have more opportunities for successful pees on the potty, so we stayed home. All day. Those were long days, and she only peed once while out of her diaper each day, but it was something. She knew it was there and ready for her when she was ready.
The next week or so was slow going. In the beginning, she was resistant to sitting on the potty and would hold her pee (and poop) for hours, and usually pee on the potty once a day, after much prodding and waiting. It was stressful, and I was getting discouraged. But, that was the last time she had an accident!
staying home all day = messier than usual living room
The following week, Brian was on vacation and went on long car rides and all-day trips to amusement parks. We decided to put Lucy in a diaper for these things, but she was in undies anytime she was been home (and awake.) I was a little concerned that this might confuse her as to when she needed to let us know when she had to go, as opposed to when she could just go. But at Disneyland she actually told us twice when she had peed, so we could change her diaper, which she never used to do, so we were encouraged. We continued to work with her while we were at home, and then a couple days later, she actually told us that she needed to pee, then sat down on the potty and peed right away. This was a new thing. We were so excited!
The next big step occurred on Day 13, when she pooped on the potty for the first time! I was really afraid that she would be reluctant and freaked out about pooping on the potty, since she was so freaked out in the beginning about just peeing and I've heard lots of kids have issues with pooping, but no! We didn't even know what she was doing until she was done! Whereas she always announces when she needs to pee or is peeing, she didn't say anything. She was already sitting on the potty, we weren't paying much attention, and then all of a sudden she said, "I pooped!" And she was as excited as she gets about peeing. OMG! We were shocked, and SO excited (I still can't believe that happened)! She's only pooped on the potty once since then, but she doesn't seem to be adverse to it, so I'm hopeful. Another new development occurred the next day, 14 days in, when she randomly initiating when she has to go, and then going on her own. She lets us know when she has to go by saying, "I need to pee," or, "I need to pee and poop" (even if she just needs to pee), takes off her undies, then goes to sit on the potty to pee. It might not sound like a lot, but trust me- it's a major breakthrough!
Day 15 saw another little milestone, when she peed in the Potette Plus travel potty for the first time. We went to the Natural History Museum, and decided to try going diaperless. We tried to get her to use the potette in the car after breakfast, before we went into the museum, but she didn't do anything. Then we kept asking her if she had to go. She didn't, but when we returned to the car, we asked her if she wanted to use the potty before the drive home, she said, "Yes," and then proceeded to pee in it! We were so excited! I think this is the first time we noticed that she could hold it while we were out, and then pee in an appropriate place (as opposed to having accidents). Pretty advanced potty training, if you ask me! Since then, when we've been out, she is able to hold it, then will either tell me when she needs to pee, or wait until I ask her. It's amazing! (Incidentally, I love the potette. It came highly recommended, and I would also highly recommend it. It can be used as a free-standing potty, as well as a potty seat to be placed on top of regular toilets. Kind of a pain to haul around everywhere, but it really does come in handy.)
Day 18 was another biggie- the first time she used 'public' toilets, with the aid of the potette. The first time was at mommy & me school, and then later that afternoon at the mall. I was a little nervous at school, since she would be away from me for an hour, but I made sure she knew who to tell on the playground if she needed to pee. Brian had a feeling she would just hold it like she did at the museum, but I wasn't so sure. But sure enough, she held it until lunchtime. Then she told me she wanted to pee, so we went into the bathroom, and she did it! Afterward, she said, "I did it! I'm potty-trained!" Ha! And then ran out of the bathroom and proceeded to tell Ivette what she did and get a hug. :) Unfortunately, my phone fell out of my pocket during all the excitement, so we had to go to the apple store at the mall later that afternoon to get it fixed. That's when she told me she needed to pee. Um, what? And lose my place in line? ;) Luckily, it was very shortly after that it was my turn, so I was able to hand off my phone to someone to fix while we made a getaway for the mall restroom. I wasn't sure how she would feel about using a big (loud) restroom, but she was totally fine, and even excited. She has been open to peeing in public restrooms since then, too, which is SUCH a relief.
Fast forward to today, Day 23- she's doing great! She hasn't had an accident since that afternoon at Lori's house. She's used the regular toilet at home a few times, but she usually chooses to use her little potty, which is currently housed in the living room. At this point, I don't care where she goes, as long as she goes! We still make a big deal out of it every time she goes. She gets a sticker to put on her reward chart each times she goes, which she gets really excited about. She likes to put each sticker on by herself, on the designated number ("This goes on number 4." It's pretty cool to see her recognize each number, 1-12!) And then she gets really excited when a row is complete ("I finished a whole row!"), because that's when she gets an extra special treat, like a new toy, or a bowl of ice cream for dessert that night. We also succumbed to to ol' m&m reward system, but hey- they're small, and it won't be forever. The main thing is she is watching her excitement every time she goes, and getting her sticker and her treat. I love that she is always so excited and proud of herself, and even more that that- I couldn't be more excited and proud of her!
Her first completed chart! We're now on row 3 of a new chart that I made for her. :)











Comments