10 months!
Dear Lucy,
You're 10 months old today! Ten whole months!
You are growing and changing, but you are still ridiculously cute. And smiley. And happy. And funny. And fun.
You like to play a peekaboo game with us. It goes something like this: You hold your sippy cup up in front of your face. Whichever one of us is feeding you asks, "Where is Lucy? Where did she go?" We can see you smiling behind your cup as you hide from us. Then you slowly lower the cup to show your face and we exclaim, "There she is!" And you laugh. And then you do it again. :)
You are also learning about your body parts. When we ask, "Where is your head?" or "Where is your ear?" you can touch the right part. Of course, sometimes you do it and sometimes you don't. But we think you know which is which. We're trying to teach you other parts, too. There are so many to learn, after all.
You are fascinated by Dakota. You like to watch him and you love to pet him (while supervised, of course). You smile and laugh and think it's the funnest thing ever. You smile a LOT.
Unfortunately, you are not finding meal times nearly as fun as any of the above. You eat your meals, but only after much prodding and a fair amount of trickery. Each meal has been taking an hour on average. It's not fun for anyone involved, I'm afraid. But, you are eating, and that's what matters.
Drinking, on the other hand, is another story altogether. Heavy sigh. I'll start by saying that I'm going to devote a separate post on our experience with breastfeeding as a whole, as it is such a huge thing, it deserves an entire post unto itself. For now, I will say that you began to self-wean probably a couple weeks ago. You started to become disinterested in nursing, and dropped the last feeding before bedtime first. As the days went by, you became disinterested at other times as well. When you would refuse I would pump and feed you the milk in a cup, which you would drink, or not. Fast-forward a couple weeks to now, when you haven't nursed at all in a few days. Instead, I've been making formula for you to drink. And here comes the problematic issue. You have little to no interest in drinking. We don't know if it's because you're getting plenty of nourishment from your food or you're just not thirsty, or both. But this is kind of a problem, since according to Dr. Fang, you should be drinking 15-20 ounces of formula (or milk) per day. You're not getting close to that amount currently. This is causing my much stress, but again, I'll leave that for another post. We keep trying different kinds of cups, because you seem to like different ones more or less at different times. We will also try feeding you the formula at different times and see how that goes. I'm sure it will all work itself out eventually. All I can say now is- I know cups are a hard thing to master, but please drink, little Munchie!
Incidentally, you find playing with your sippy cups a whole lot of fun (see the above photo), but drinking out of it doesn't seem to thrill you quite as much. But, enough of that and onto other cute, happy, fun things you're up to these days!
When it's time to sleep - either at nap time or bed time, we have a little routine. We read to you and then take you into your room, turn on your crib soother, give you your pacifier and elephant, and close the door. Lately you've been turning the crib soother back on after it shuts off, but you eventually fall asleep, most often without making a peep. Now that you're sleeping in your own room, we don't get to watch you sleep much anymore because we don't want to disturb you, but that doesn't mean that I don't go in and peek every once in a while. You're just too cute!
When it's time to wake up (and we don't have to wake you) you often turn on your crib soother to the lights and music setting and will hang out in your crib by yourself for a while. We're not sure what you do in there, but we have peeked in a couple times to find you sitting in front of it, watching it. When you're ready for us to go in and get you, you will whimper a little to let us know it's time. When we go into your room you're usually standing up at the end of your crib, to meet us. :)
Oh, and! You have a new tooth coming in (your third)! The other night you started making a sound in your mouth that sounded kind of like teeth grinding. Only at that point we only knew of the two bottom teeth, which would be impossible to grind. I felt your gums and didn't feel anything. We couldn't figure it out! The next morning you made the noise again, I felt in there again and lo and behold- I felt the tiniest little sliver of a tooth nubbin!
We're so excited about how much you're picking up and learning now, and can't wait to see what new things you'll be doing next! We love you!
You're 10 months old today! Ten whole months!
You are growing and changing, but you are still ridiculously cute. And smiley. And happy. And funny. And fun.
You like to play a peekaboo game with us. It goes something like this: You hold your sippy cup up in front of your face. Whichever one of us is feeding you asks, "Where is Lucy? Where did she go?" We can see you smiling behind your cup as you hide from us. Then you slowly lower the cup to show your face and we exclaim, "There she is!" And you laugh. And then you do it again. :)
You are also learning about your body parts. When we ask, "Where is your head?" or "Where is your ear?" you can touch the right part. Of course, sometimes you do it and sometimes you don't. But we think you know which is which. We're trying to teach you other parts, too. There are so many to learn, after all.
You are fascinated by Dakota. You like to watch him and you love to pet him (while supervised, of course). You smile and laugh and think it's the funnest thing ever. You smile a LOT.
Unfortunately, you are not finding meal times nearly as fun as any of the above. You eat your meals, but only after much prodding and a fair amount of trickery. Each meal has been taking an hour on average. It's not fun for anyone involved, I'm afraid. But, you are eating, and that's what matters.
Drinking, on the other hand, is another story altogether. Heavy sigh. I'll start by saying that I'm going to devote a separate post on our experience with breastfeeding as a whole, as it is such a huge thing, it deserves an entire post unto itself. For now, I will say that you began to self-wean probably a couple weeks ago. You started to become disinterested in nursing, and dropped the last feeding before bedtime first. As the days went by, you became disinterested at other times as well. When you would refuse I would pump and feed you the milk in a cup, which you would drink, or not. Fast-forward a couple weeks to now, when you haven't nursed at all in a few days. Instead, I've been making formula for you to drink. And here comes the problematic issue. You have little to no interest in drinking. We don't know if it's because you're getting plenty of nourishment from your food or you're just not thirsty, or both. But this is kind of a problem, since according to Dr. Fang, you should be drinking 15-20 ounces of formula (or milk) per day. You're not getting close to that amount currently. This is causing my much stress, but again, I'll leave that for another post. We keep trying different kinds of cups, because you seem to like different ones more or less at different times. We will also try feeding you the formula at different times and see how that goes. I'm sure it will all work itself out eventually. All I can say now is- I know cups are a hard thing to master, but please drink, little Munchie!
Incidentally, you find playing with your sippy cups a whole lot of fun (see the above photo), but drinking out of it doesn't seem to thrill you quite as much. But, enough of that and onto other cute, happy, fun things you're up to these days!
When it's time to sleep - either at nap time or bed time, we have a little routine. We read to you and then take you into your room, turn on your crib soother, give you your pacifier and elephant, and close the door. Lately you've been turning the crib soother back on after it shuts off, but you eventually fall asleep, most often without making a peep. Now that you're sleeping in your own room, we don't get to watch you sleep much anymore because we don't want to disturb you, but that doesn't mean that I don't go in and peek every once in a while. You're just too cute!
When it's time to wake up (and we don't have to wake you) you often turn on your crib soother to the lights and music setting and will hang out in your crib by yourself for a while. We're not sure what you do in there, but we have peeked in a couple times to find you sitting in front of it, watching it. When you're ready for us to go in and get you, you will whimper a little to let us know it's time. When we go into your room you're usually standing up at the end of your crib, to meet us. :)
Oh, and! You have a new tooth coming in (your third)! The other night you started making a sound in your mouth that sounded kind of like teeth grinding. Only at that point we only knew of the two bottom teeth, which would be impossible to grind. I felt your gums and didn't feel anything. We couldn't figure it out! The next morning you made the noise again, I felt in there again and lo and behold- I felt the tiniest little sliver of a tooth nubbin!
We're so excited about how much you're picking up and learning now, and can't wait to see what new things you'll be doing next! We love you!











Comments
stories from mommy about the mealtime trickery is so funny! **haha!** and although dealing with your fussiness at mealtime may not be one of mommy's favorite times of the day, hearing about it makes me laugh so hard!!! (sorry sister)
the countdown has begun: 2 more months til your first official pair of birthday shoes!!! whoo hoo! uncle mister and i are already planning for your special day! we cant wait to see you (and uncle mister cant wait to MEET you!)
XO
PS maybe mommy should get you a shirt with sleeves -uncle mister can teach you how to wipe your mouth/face after you eat :)
I LOVE reading about baby milestones! It seems like yesterday I was up in arms about the lack of interest in breastfeeding! Well, okay, not like yesterday, but pretty darn close! I can't help but smile and smile when I read your posts! Lucy is so sweet! Love HER smile!
And I love the new blog wardrobe! I meant to post that when it changed, but I can't remember who in this household was sickie at that time. . . Hugs to you all!
Spoke to Mom yesterday. She said you're back eating without problems.
Cutting the time in half I hear. Good girl. Now start walking and running. We'll get a long blog once that starts I'm sure.
It sure is fun being "with you" as you grow.