6 months!
Dear Lucy,
You are 6 months old today!
Half a year- I can't believe it! In 6 short months you've changed so much! You've gone from being a teeny tiny newborn to the chubby cheeked (and thighed), roly-poly little girl that you are today. It really is hard to believe. On one hand, six months seems like just yesterday, but on the other hand it seems like so very long ago. (I'm pretty sure I remark about this every month.)
Well, you're rolling everywhere now, in all directions. Uncle Reid called you the "Roller Express" after he saw you in action a couple days ago- ha! In the last few days you've even started scooting just a little. You'll be crawling in no time! You like to roll over to the sliding glass doors and think it's really funny when I have to go get you. Like you know you're not supposed to be over there.
We also think your first tooth may not be far off. Besides putting everything into your mouth, you're also making razzberry sounds, which Aunty Lisa said babies do when they start to teethe, because it feels good on their gums. So, who knows! I guess we won't know for sure until we see a little tooth nubbin in your mouth!
One thing is for sure- you're definitely more interested in food lately. You love to watch (stare at) me while I eat or drink. I think that means you're about ready for "solids"- which for you will mean rice cereal most likely to begin with. Sorry, the fun foods will have to wait. We go to see Dr. Fang next week, so we'll ask about starting food. Exciting!
You're more curious than ever in general- not just when it comes to our food. You like to examine everything, including us and yourself. A couple days ago I caught you watching yourself open and close your hand and fingers. It's like you were thinking, "Whoa, I'm doing that!" It's so much fun to watch you learn!
You're learning how to sleep in your crib. After your midnight feeding you don't need any help falling asleep at all. I simply turn off the light, put you in your crib, give you your elephant lovey, and you talk to yourself for a little while and then fall asleep. Naps are more iffy. Sometimes it doesn't take long, I might have to go in a couple of times to help you keep your pacifier in your mouth and rub or pat your chest for a little while and you fall asleep pretty quickly. Other times it takes a little longer. Other times I just put you on the bed with me and we take a nap together. I have to admit that I'm liking this right now, for a couple of reasons. In the evening we have a definite routine. I give you a bath (or Daddy does, when he's at home), I feed you, we read a book (usually Goodnight Moon), then we say goodnight to our room, turn off the light, sing Twinkle Twinkle, and I put you down to sleep. Again, sometimes you fall asleep right away, while other times it takes a few tries, where we have to go in and help you fall asleep. In the big scheme of things, I think it's going pretty well. We haven't had to resort to the full-on cry-it-out technique yet. I think you're learning, so we'll see how it goes with you figuring it out. (Note: tonight has been out of the ordinary in that you keep waking up, crying. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling your mouth may be hurting you. I've lost track at how many times I've gone in there now. You're asleep at the moment, but I have my doubts that it will last. Poor thing.)
You don't have a set schedule yet, in terms of doing the same things at the same time every day. But you are on a loose schedule. It all depends on what time you wake up. Then you eat approximately every 3 hours or so for the rest of the day until 7:00pm ish, when you go to sleep for the evening. Nowadays you usually have a decent nap in the morning and one in the early afternoon. Sometimes you have a little catnap in the late afternoon during our walk, but not always. And you're still waking up for the midnight feeding. You slept through it a few nights in a row a couple weeks ago, and occasionally other nights, but for the most part you wake up. But then once I feed you you fall right back asleep, which is nice.
You're enjoying your toys a lot more now. Your favorite toys are soft and made of different fabrics with things hanging off of it that you can bite and chew on, like the Whoozit and new Sir Prance-a-lot that your buddy Ryan just gave you. I think we may need to get you more of those Lamaze toys! You're also really into your Sophie Giraffe now. When you first got her as a gift you didn't know what to do with her, but now you like holding onto her and gnawing on her. Good thing that's what she's for! Dakota really seems to want to play with her, too, but I think he's finally realized it's not his toy.
Well, I just can't believe how much you've grown in just six months. You're really happy for the vast majority of the time, and you're smiling a LOT these days. And I must say, you have the cutest gummy, toothless smile ever. When you smile your whole face smiles. It makes us so happy to see. Sometimes you giggle, too, which is just the best! We're looking forward to your first Christmas. You're a lucky little lady who already has a lot of presents under the tree, and Santa hasn't even come yet! Daddy and I already have the best present in the world...you!
We love you!
You are 6 months old today!
Half a year- I can't believe it! In 6 short months you've changed so much! You've gone from being a teeny tiny newborn to the chubby cheeked (and thighed), roly-poly little girl that you are today. It really is hard to believe. On one hand, six months seems like just yesterday, but on the other hand it seems like so very long ago. (I'm pretty sure I remark about this every month.)Well, you're rolling everywhere now, in all directions. Uncle Reid called you the "Roller Express" after he saw you in action a couple days ago- ha! In the last few days you've even started scooting just a little. You'll be crawling in no time! You like to roll over to the sliding glass doors and think it's really funny when I have to go get you. Like you know you're not supposed to be over there.
We also think your first tooth may not be far off. Besides putting everything into your mouth, you're also making razzberry sounds, which Aunty Lisa said babies do when they start to teethe, because it feels good on their gums. So, who knows! I guess we won't know for sure until we see a little tooth nubbin in your mouth!
One thing is for sure- you're definitely more interested in food lately. You love to watch (stare at) me while I eat or drink. I think that means you're about ready for "solids"- which for you will mean rice cereal most likely to begin with. Sorry, the fun foods will have to wait. We go to see Dr. Fang next week, so we'll ask about starting food. Exciting!
You're more curious than ever in general- not just when it comes to our food. You like to examine everything, including us and yourself. A couple days ago I caught you watching yourself open and close your hand and fingers. It's like you were thinking, "Whoa, I'm doing that!" It's so much fun to watch you learn!You're learning how to sleep in your crib. After your midnight feeding you don't need any help falling asleep at all. I simply turn off the light, put you in your crib, give you your elephant lovey, and you talk to yourself for a little while and then fall asleep. Naps are more iffy. Sometimes it doesn't take long, I might have to go in a couple of times to help you keep your pacifier in your mouth and rub or pat your chest for a little while and you fall asleep pretty quickly. Other times it takes a little longer. Other times I just put you on the bed with me and we take a nap together. I have to admit that I'm liking this right now, for a couple of reasons. In the evening we have a definite routine. I give you a bath (or Daddy does, when he's at home), I feed you, we read a book (usually Goodnight Moon), then we say goodnight to our room, turn off the light, sing Twinkle Twinkle, and I put you down to sleep. Again, sometimes you fall asleep right away, while other times it takes a few tries, where we have to go in and help you fall asleep. In the big scheme of things, I think it's going pretty well. We haven't had to resort to the full-on cry-it-out technique yet. I think you're learning, so we'll see how it goes with you figuring it out. (Note: tonight has been out of the ordinary in that you keep waking up, crying. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling your mouth may be hurting you. I've lost track at how many times I've gone in there now. You're asleep at the moment, but I have my doubts that it will last. Poor thing.)
You don't have a set schedule yet, in terms of doing the same things at the same time every day. But you are on a loose schedule. It all depends on what time you wake up. Then you eat approximately every 3 hours or so for the rest of the day until 7:00pm ish, when you go to sleep for the evening. Nowadays you usually have a decent nap in the morning and one in the early afternoon. Sometimes you have a little catnap in the late afternoon during our walk, but not always. And you're still waking up for the midnight feeding. You slept through it a few nights in a row a couple weeks ago, and occasionally other nights, but for the most part you wake up. But then once I feed you you fall right back asleep, which is nice.
You're enjoying your toys a lot more now. Your favorite toys are soft and made of different fabrics with things hanging off of it that you can bite and chew on, like the Whoozit and new Sir Prance-a-lot that your buddy Ryan just gave you. I think we may need to get you more of those Lamaze toys! You're also really into your Sophie Giraffe now. When you first got her as a gift you didn't know what to do with her, but now you like holding onto her and gnawing on her. Good thing that's what she's for! Dakota really seems to want to play with her, too, but I think he's finally realized it's not his toy.
Well, I just can't believe how much you've grown in just six months. You're really happy for the vast majority of the time, and you're smiling a LOT these days. And I must say, you have the cutest gummy, toothless smile ever. When you smile your whole face smiles. It makes us so happy to see. Sometimes you giggle, too, which is just the best! We're looking forward to your first Christmas. You're a lucky little lady who already has a lot of presents under the tree, and Santa hasn't even come yet! Daddy and I already have the best present in the world...you!
We love you!


Comments