6 month check-up
(ETA links to the baby cookbook and puffs.)
Lucy had her 6 month check-up on Monday.
She's growing great! She weighs 16 lbs., 13 oz. (that's up almost 3 pounds since her 4 month check-up!) and is 27 inches long. This puts her at the 50th percentile for weight and the - get this - 90th percentile for length! For the record (and the next time I knit a hat for her) her head is 17 3/4 inches.
It's always so reassuring to get feedback from Dr. Fang* at Lucy's check-ups. Reassurance that she's eating enough, growing well physically and developmentally, and being told what we can expect she will be up to next. Her next appointment will be her 9 month check-up in 3 months- which seems like an awfully long time from now, but I'm sure it will come around in no time.
An exciting development: Dr. Fang gave us the go ahead to start Lucy on solid food. She suggested we start with rice cereal then we can move on to other cereals like oat and barley, and then on to fruits and veggies. She recommended that we wait several days in between before introducing new foods, so that we can check for any adverse reactions. She recommended that we start with less-sweet fruits like bananas before apples, and start with orange and red veggies before the green ones, since they are easier to digest than the greens. Sounds good to me. Oh, and we can start giving her "puffs" - literally puffy things that melt in her mouth - for her to get used to "finger foods." Evidently Gerber makes some, but I got these in the banana flavor after I saw our friend Ryan chowing down on them. :) They're available at Whole Foods, Babies R Us, Target, and probably a bunch of other places.
On one hand I'm excited and looking forward to her being able to eat real food, but on the other hand I know it's going to bring more work, not to mention (or so I hear) scarier poop. ;) I plan to make our own baby food. Not only will that be less expensive than buying ready-made food, we will also know exactly what she's eating. I have several friends who make their babies' food who say it's easy enough, so we'll see! One of those friends gifted us with a couple of appliances for this purpose and Ash gave us this cool book of recipes (the same one Shelby recommended) so I'm all set to give it a go. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dr. Fang also said we could start teaching Lucy baby sign language so that she we can communicate with her, since she can't speak yet (obviously), but she can understand. This should be fun- I definitely look forward to being able to communicate with her more.
Oh, a fun new developmental milestone: Lucy just started being able to sit up on her own (like, for more than a couple seconds) - fun!
* Dr. Fang is awesome. Not only is she Lucy's pediatrician, she is also Kyra and Ally's pediatrician, and physician to Lisa, Reid, and me. She is around our age, has a daughter around K&A's age, and is really easy to talk to. We love Dr. Fang!
Lucy had her 6 month check-up on Monday.
She's growing great! She weighs 16 lbs., 13 oz. (that's up almost 3 pounds since her 4 month check-up!) and is 27 inches long. This puts her at the 50th percentile for weight and the - get this - 90th percentile for length! For the record (and the next time I knit a hat for her) her head is 17 3/4 inches.
It's always so reassuring to get feedback from Dr. Fang* at Lucy's check-ups. Reassurance that she's eating enough, growing well physically and developmentally, and being told what we can expect she will be up to next. Her next appointment will be her 9 month check-up in 3 months- which seems like an awfully long time from now, but I'm sure it will come around in no time.
An exciting development: Dr. Fang gave us the go ahead to start Lucy on solid food. She suggested we start with rice cereal then we can move on to other cereals like oat and barley, and then on to fruits and veggies. She recommended that we wait several days in between before introducing new foods, so that we can check for any adverse reactions. She recommended that we start with less-sweet fruits like bananas before apples, and start with orange and red veggies before the green ones, since they are easier to digest than the greens. Sounds good to me. Oh, and we can start giving her "puffs" - literally puffy things that melt in her mouth - for her to get used to "finger foods." Evidently Gerber makes some, but I got these in the banana flavor after I saw our friend Ryan chowing down on them. :) They're available at Whole Foods, Babies R Us, Target, and probably a bunch of other places.On one hand I'm excited and looking forward to her being able to eat real food, but on the other hand I know it's going to bring more work, not to mention (or so I hear) scarier poop. ;) I plan to make our own baby food. Not only will that be less expensive than buying ready-made food, we will also know exactly what she's eating. I have several friends who make their babies' food who say it's easy enough, so we'll see! One of those friends gifted us with a couple of appliances for this purpose and Ash gave us this cool book of recipes (the same one Shelby recommended) so I'm all set to give it a go. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dr. Fang also said we could start teaching Lucy baby sign language so that she we can communicate with her, since she can't speak yet (obviously), but she can understand. This should be fun- I definitely look forward to being able to communicate with her more.
Oh, a fun new developmental milestone: Lucy just started being able to sit up on her own (like, for more than a couple seconds) - fun!* Dr. Fang is awesome. Not only is she Lucy's pediatrician, she is also Kyra and Ally's pediatrician, and physician to Lisa, Reid, and me. She is around our age, has a daughter around K&A's age, and is really easy to talk to. We love Dr. Fang!


Comments