Week 37: Swiss Chard

First and foremost, I want to say a quick thank you to everyone for the awesome baby gifts we've received (thank you notes are forthcoming)! We are truly blown away by the generosity we've been shown and are so grateful for everything! We just received a Baby Einstein exersaucer, with no gift card attached. If you happen to know who bought this for us, could you please let us know so that we can thank them properly? Much obliged! :)

Now...hey, guess what? According to BabyCenter, Bean weighs around 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). More significantly, she is now considered to be full term! Yikes! I mean, yay! :) This means that if she were to be born now, her lungs should be fully mature and ready to adjust to life outside the womb, even though our due date is still three weeks away. Of course, I'd prefer to have her hang out in there for as long as possible (without going over- like they do it on The Price is Right), but it's pretty mind-blowing to know we have a full-term baby in there! I also just realized that if the BabyCenter estimations are right, Bean actually weighs more, inside me now, than I did when I was born (I weighed 5 lbs., 13 oz. at birth)! Whoa. That's just crazy pants!

We've worked up to weekly check-ups now, with our most recent one being this past Saturday. Everything's good. My glucose numbers have remained constant -without meds, thank you very much - and we also received the results from my Group B Strep test- which was negative. In addition, my fundal height measurement was exactly 37 cm - exactly where it should be for being 37 weeks pregnant. Yay!

On the dot! 37 weeks = 37 cm

Perhaps the most exciting news of all- I asked Dr. Bliss as to when I would be able to eat "normal people food" again after Bean is born and she said, "Right away!" I'm getting teary just thinking about it. ;) You'd better believe I'm already planning what my first postpartum meal(s) and snacks will be! I suppose I can't know exactly what I'll feel like eating at the time, so I am compiling a list of options for postpartum Shan to choose from. :) I'll just consider this yet another exciting thing to look forward to - after going through labor and childbirth - in addition to seeing and holding our precious Bean- getting to eat carb and sugar-laden food again! Woo-hoo!

On the home front, we've been busy little bees, continuing to prep our humble abode for Bean's arrival. All I can say is, thank goodness for our loft storage space! Brian hoisted a bunch of the baby gear up there which makes a huge difference to our mental health to have all that clutter out of sight. (Don't get me wrong, there's other clutter, but we'll deal with that, too.) We also washed and put away all the clothes we've gotten so far. The clothes are so tiny- I don't even know how to fold them! And the funniest part- when I was cleaning out the lint tray from the dryer- we now have pink lint! HA! (We're used to cleaning out white or dark, dog hair-infested lint, so pink is a new experience.) We also rearranged our bedroom furniture sightly, to accommodate some of the baby gear. Brian assembled the co-sleeper and we put it in place temporarily, to see how it will fit. Just looking at that little bassinet next to the bed, knowing there will be a little person in there in a few weeks...it was a little emotional- we both had to pause for a moment and take that in.

This cracked us up:

Normally the doogles sits in his own spot, but for some reason he seemed to want to be extra close to Brian as he ate breakfast on Sunday. Cute. :)

He's really such a schmoo! :)

On the work front, it's my last week! Last 3 days, to be exact. I'm so excited- I'm ready to be done! I have a lot to do to get things ready before I leave, so the next few days will be busy, but then I won't have to think about work (not to mention do all that driving) which will be SO nice! I'm looking forward to being at home for however long before Bean gets here. For the record, I've asked her to please wait, at least until after this week to make her appearance so I can finish up with work, but then after that she can be a little early if she so desires. It's really up to her, so we'll see what she has in store for us...but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

Although I still feel good, the belly is pretty full and heavy now, which makes every task all the more laborious, which means I get tired a lot easier. I'm also thinking more about the "going into labor" part of the process, so I will feel much more at ease once I'm confined to the metropolitan LA area, as opposed to being over an hour away in Orange County on a daily basis. And then of course there will still be a few errands to run, things to do around the house, naps to be taken, and postpartum, post-GD food fests to plan...but that will be fun!

Brian's baby cup and fork. So precious. I love that we have them!

Comments

Popular Posts