Week 34: Cantaloupes and Babymoons
According to BabyCenter, Bean now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which will help regulate her body temperature once she's born — are filling her out, making her rounder, and her skin is also smoother than ever. Her central nervous system is maturing and her lungs are continuing to mature as well. They also say, to anyone worried about preterm labor, that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies. Well I'd still prefer to keep Bean in there until as close to her "due date" as possible, but that's certainly reassuring!
Also reassuring, we had a good OB check-up last Friday. It was really good to see our doctor again (it had been several weeks). I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned at some point how much better I always feel after seeing her, and this was true once again. She said that Bean is doing great- she has a strong heartbeat and is the size she should be - and she said that I'm doing great, too! And she made me feel a ton better about the GD situation. She reassured me that I'm doing great with the dietary changes and that overall my glucose numbers are good. So, no meds are necessary at this time! This is the part where I spare you the details of the roller-coaster ride I had been on over the last couple of weeks after seeing another doctor in the practice, who thought I should be on meds, and all the mental and emotional anguish this caused. Instead, this is the part where I reiterate how much I completely adore our doctor and her outlook and demeanor. So anyway, suffice it to say that Bean and I are both right where we should be and all is good. :)
And speaking of good, we had a great time on our babymoon this past weekend! After our doctor's appointment on Friday, we went back home, packed up the car, and headed up to Carmel. :) As usual, Dakota seemed skeptical at first, but he relaxed eventually.
Per Brian's friend's recommendation, we stayed at Quail Lodge and loved it!
top L to R: front entrance, lake and restaurant, pool and spa
bottom L to R: view from our front porch, our room, from the course
The coolest part? This place is totally dog-friendly! The doogles was provided with a dog bed, food bowls and a placemat, poop bags, a stuffed toy, and a special welcome note from the lodge's resident canine and "Director of Pet Relations," Max. :)
Also per Brian's friend's recommendation, we took full advantage of their golf & spa package, which includes a choice of two rounds of golf or two spa treatments, or one of each. Score! The sprinkles on top of the icing on top of this particular cake is that we discovered that this offer was per day. So guess who got not one, but two massages? ME!! Brian played golf one day and spa-ed it the next. Seriously, how good is that deal?
We also drove into town on Saturday for lunch and to walk around for a bit. Carmel is such a cute town- I love it! We recognized some of the places we went to during our last visit (Tradewinds, L'Escargot, and Katy's Place), and happened on a few cute new places (Grasings, Kids by the Sea, and the Cottage of Sweets). Oh, and we had an outstanding dinner on Saturday night at Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge (another recommendation). OMG. Delicious food, excellent service, and bonus- we got a table right in front of the fireplace. The whole dinner was amazing! (And I haven't found myself saying that very often recently, if at all.)
Beside all that, we spent our time walking around the grounds, hanging out with the doogles, and relaxing. Absolutely no complaints here! Here are a few other shots from the weekend:
I'm SO glad we were able to this! It was so great to be able to get away for a few days to relax, connect, and just be together. And it was a good reminder that a weekend "getaway" really is just a few hours away. We're lucky in that there are so many cool places to escape to within driving distance, that feel far enough from our everyday lives, but close enough that we could get to in a reasonable amount of time and still have a good chunk of time to unwind. We really need to try to make this more a habit (well, as much as possible, with an infant/toddler/child, that is), because it's amazing what just a weekend away from home can do for the psyche. I think I can safely speak for all of us when I say it was an awesome trip!
Also reassuring, we had a good OB check-up last Friday. It was really good to see our doctor again (it had been several weeks). I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned at some point how much better I always feel after seeing her, and this was true once again. She said that Bean is doing great- she has a strong heartbeat and is the size she should be - and she said that I'm doing great, too! And she made me feel a ton better about the GD situation. She reassured me that I'm doing great with the dietary changes and that overall my glucose numbers are good. So, no meds are necessary at this time! This is the part where I spare you the details of the roller-coaster ride I had been on over the last couple of weeks after seeing another doctor in the practice, who thought I should be on meds, and all the mental and emotional anguish this caused. Instead, this is the part where I reiterate how much I completely adore our doctor and her outlook and demeanor. So anyway, suffice it to say that Bean and I are both right where we should be and all is good. :)And speaking of good, we had a great time on our babymoon this past weekend! After our doctor's appointment on Friday, we went back home, packed up the car, and headed up to Carmel. :) As usual, Dakota seemed skeptical at first, but he relaxed eventually.
Per Brian's friend's recommendation, we stayed at Quail Lodge and loved it!
top L to R: front entrance, lake and restaurant, pool and spabottom L to R: view from our front porch, our room, from the course
The coolest part? This place is totally dog-friendly! The doogles was provided with a dog bed, food bowls and a placemat, poop bags, a stuffed toy, and a special welcome note from the lodge's resident canine and "Director of Pet Relations," Max. :)
Also per Brian's friend's recommendation, we took full advantage of their golf & spa package, which includes a choice of two rounds of golf or two spa treatments, or one of each. Score! The sprinkles on top of the icing on top of this particular cake is that we discovered that this offer was per day. So guess who got not one, but two massages? ME!! Brian played golf one day and spa-ed it the next. Seriously, how good is that deal?We also drove into town on Saturday for lunch and to walk around for a bit. Carmel is such a cute town- I love it! We recognized some of the places we went to during our last visit (Tradewinds, L'Escargot, and Katy's Place), and happened on a few cute new places (Grasings, Kids by the Sea, and the Cottage of Sweets). Oh, and we had an outstanding dinner on Saturday night at Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge (another recommendation). OMG. Delicious food, excellent service, and bonus- we got a table right in front of the fireplace. The whole dinner was amazing! (And I haven't found myself saying that very often recently, if at all.)
Beside all that, we spent our time walking around the grounds, hanging out with the doogles, and relaxing. Absolutely no complaints here! Here are a few other shots from the weekend:
I'm SO glad we were able to this! It was so great to be able to get away for a few days to relax, connect, and just be together. And it was a good reminder that a weekend "getaway" really is just a few hours away. We're lucky in that there are so many cool places to escape to within driving distance, that feel far enough from our everyday lives, but close enough that we could get to in a reasonable amount of time and still have a good chunk of time to unwind. We really need to try to make this more a habit (well, as much as possible, with an infant/toddler/child, that is), because it's amazing what just a weekend away from home can do for the psyche. I think I can safely speak for all of us when I say it was an awesome trip!


Comments