Week 35: Honeydew

According to BabyCenter, Bean is over 18 inches long and tips the scales at around 5 1/4 pounds (like a honeydew melon). Her kidneys are fully developed now, and her liver can process some waste products. Most of her basic physical development is now complete — she'll spend the next few weeks putting on weight. (Hmm...I guess that means we both will!)

We've had a pretty full past several days. It's been busy as heck, but a lot of fun! The whirlwind started last Thursday, when I drove down to San Diego after work to attend a casual get-together/shower that Jen organized with some of our work peeps (past and present) at Monica's at the Park. I had such fun hanging out with everyone - it was a great evening! I was then able to spend a little extra time with Susan and Kanji, which was an awesome bonus. :) On Friday I had what was my last hair appointment until who knows when. I now have nicely-trimmed, non-highlighted hair. The latter makes me a little sad, but hopefully these two steps will allow me to look not too shabby over the next few months when I anticipate not having much time for anything, least of all trips to San Diego to have my hair done.

On Saturday, Lisa Anne and Heather threw me a wonderful (small, intimate, non-fussy, just-the-way-I-like-it) lunch/shower on Saturday at Il Cielo. If you know me at all you know I don't particularly like having the attention focused on me, but I'll use any excuse to spend time time with these women! I had a blast visiting with them, and I have to make special note of the GD-friendly menu that LA and Heather planned for us, which was delicious! It couldn't have been a lovelier, more enjoyable afternoon!

Brian and I are completely overwhelmed (in a good way) by all the gifts we've been receiving! I remember Jen mentioning that having her shower (and receiving much needed baby gear) really helped her feel more prepared for Elliott's arrival, and you know what? I know exactly what she meant! I don't know about Brian, but now that we have a majority of the "stuff" we know we'll be needing, it really does help me feel more ready (not all the way ready mind you, just more ready). While we were at lunch, Brian (watched Star Trek and) built the dressers we bought for Bean's things, so now we're ready to wash and put away clothes and really get to organizing the house.

As my pregnancy winds down (and Mother's Day approached), the concept of motherhood has obviously on my mind. It excites and terrifies me at the same time. Because, in my opinion, being a parent is the most important job one can have in life. I mean, you are responsible for a human being- not just physically and financially, but you're also responsible for instilling values, teaching life lessons and helping to shape the kind of person she becomes - that's HUGE! And I do not take this responsibility lightly. I want so badly to do a good job and to be a good mom...like my (two) mom(s)! (Initially, I planned to do an entire post dedicated to motherhood, but my thoughts are all over the place, so perhaps that will happen at a later date.) For now I want to wish all you moms out there - especially Faye - a Happy Belated Mom's Day, and share one of my favorite photos of my mom and me. I remember the day this photo was taken- my mom and I had dinner with Aunty Carmen, Lisa, and Cindy. Lisa took a bunch of pictures that day, and they all make me happy. :)

On Sunday, we drove down to SD again, to celebrate Mother's Day and Brian's birthday. During the drive down, it occurred to me that it was a year ago when we decided to get married. It's hard to believe, since so much has happened in our lives since then! Here we are, just a year later, married and anxiously anticipating the arrival of our baby Bean. Crazy!

And last, but certainly not least, today is Brian's birthday! Happy Birthday, B! You have changed my life in more ways I could ever have imagined and my love for you is deeper than you could ever know... ...Although, the fact that I continue to let you to eat real chocolate right in front of me should provide you with some indication... :) xo-S.

Comments

Popular Posts