Week 14: Lemon
Yay, back to fruit! I don't know why, but the shrimp thing was a little weird.

Yes, according to BabyCenter, Bean is now approximately 3.5 inches long, about the size of a lemon, and weighs around 1.5 lbs. :) She can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possibly suck her thumb (if this runs in the family). Her kidneys are producing urine, which she releases into the amniotic fluid around her. I'm not sure how I feel about this part, personally, but I guess we all have to go and she doesn't have many options right now. ;) Her body's growing faster than her head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck. By the end of this week, her arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of her body (her legs still have some lengthening to do). She's starting to develop an ultra-fine, downy covering of hair, called lanugo, all over her body. Her liver starts making bile this week — a sign that it's doing its job right — and her spleen starts helping in the production of red blood cells. Her hands and feet (which now measure about 1/2 inch long) are more flexible and active. Quite a lot goin' on in there!
And quite a lot goin' on out here as well. Busy, busy, busy with holiday stuff! I've been baking on and off for days. A process I really do enjoy, but it is time consuming. It does get me into the holiday spirit, however, and I wouldn't give it up, no matter how hectic this time of year may be. I really look forward to holiday baking with Bean in a couple of years! Now we're onto the packaging and sending out of boxes and packages. We pared down the gift giving this year, but what's Christmas without baked goods and presents, so we are still doing a little something. Oh, and cards. Kind of last minute, but they will get sent! :) Again, I know it's added work for me, but I'm a sucker for tradition, and holiday tradition to me involves baking and cards, so it's worth it to me to make the extra effort. I have to thank Brian here, for all the moral support, not to mention the not-small task of taking packages to the post office for me! He's the best!
In other news, we went to take a tour of the Brian's company's day care center last week Friday. It ain't cheap, but I must say, I was impressed with the place- the facility is awesome! They have the place separated out by age group, each with its own playroom and outdoor playground area. The caretakers participate in activities with the kids, based on age, of course, and even teach them some useful skills that can be carried over at home. What I particularly liked is that they really seem to monitor each child's daily activities well (on paper) so the parents know exactly what their kid did each day. They even take pictures (love that)! All in all, the place and the people left a good impression on me and gave me a good vibe- it seems like a really positive, nurturing environment. There's no guarantee that there will be a spot for Bean, but we are officially on the waiting list- yay! A waiting list for day care, when there isn't even a baby yet- yes, this is the world we live in!
The world we live in is also currently really cold and rainy (there is even snow on mountains in Orange County), and I must say, I'm not quite prepared. I mean, under normal circumstances I wear a lot of dresses and skirts, even during the winter- skirts with tights. I can still work my dresses (with tights), but my normal skirts don't fit. I really need to invest in pants that fit and more closed-toe shoes. Oh, and heavier jackets- onesthat fit. "Fit" is going to be more and more of an issue as we go along here. My winter coat? Yeah, that's currently not closing anymore. Part of it, honestly, is probably fat, because I haven't been working out regularly yet, but I also think part of it is the bump. Yes folks, the bump is beginning to emerge! Ooh! :)

Yes, according to BabyCenter, Bean is now approximately 3.5 inches long, about the size of a lemon, and weighs around 1.5 lbs. :) She can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possibly suck her thumb (if this runs in the family). Her kidneys are producing urine, which she releases into the amniotic fluid around her. I'm not sure how I feel about this part, personally, but I guess we all have to go and she doesn't have many options right now. ;) Her body's growing faster than her head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck. By the end of this week, her arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of her body (her legs still have some lengthening to do). She's starting to develop an ultra-fine, downy covering of hair, called lanugo, all over her body. Her liver starts making bile this week — a sign that it's doing its job right — and her spleen starts helping in the production of red blood cells. Her hands and feet (which now measure about 1/2 inch long) are more flexible and active. Quite a lot goin' on in there!
And quite a lot goin' on out here as well. Busy, busy, busy with holiday stuff! I've been baking on and off for days. A process I really do enjoy, but it is time consuming. It does get me into the holiday spirit, however, and I wouldn't give it up, no matter how hectic this time of year may be. I really look forward to holiday baking with Bean in a couple of years! Now we're onto the packaging and sending out of boxes and packages. We pared down the gift giving this year, but what's Christmas without baked goods and presents, so we are still doing a little something. Oh, and cards. Kind of last minute, but they will get sent! :) Again, I know it's added work for me, but I'm a sucker for tradition, and holiday tradition to me involves baking and cards, so it's worth it to me to make the extra effort. I have to thank Brian here, for all the moral support, not to mention the not-small task of taking packages to the post office for me! He's the best!
In other news, we went to take a tour of the Brian's company's day care center last week Friday. It ain't cheap, but I must say, I was impressed with the place- the facility is awesome! They have the place separated out by age group, each with its own playroom and outdoor playground area. The caretakers participate in activities with the kids, based on age, of course, and even teach them some useful skills that can be carried over at home. What I particularly liked is that they really seem to monitor each child's daily activities well (on paper) so the parents know exactly what their kid did each day. They even take pictures (love that)! All in all, the place and the people left a good impression on me and gave me a good vibe- it seems like a really positive, nurturing environment. There's no guarantee that there will be a spot for Bean, but we are officially on the waiting list- yay! A waiting list for day care, when there isn't even a baby yet- yes, this is the world we live in!
The world we live in is also currently really cold and rainy (there is even snow on mountains in Orange County), and I must say, I'm not quite prepared. I mean, under normal circumstances I wear a lot of dresses and skirts, even during the winter- skirts with tights. I can still work my dresses (with tights), but my normal skirts don't fit. I really need to invest in pants that fit and more closed-toe shoes. Oh, and heavier jackets- onesthat fit. "Fit" is going to be more and more of an issue as we go along here. My winter coat? Yeah, that's currently not closing anymore. Part of it, honestly, is probably fat, because I haven't been working out regularly yet, but I also think part of it is the bump. Yes folks, the bump is beginning to emerge! Ooh! :)


Comments