Week 12: Lime

Yes, the holiday season is officially underway - I suspect Cindy cannot contain her excitement! :) - and we are approaching the end of the first trimester! Can you believe it?

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We sure did. We had a lovely dinner with Mom and Dad C. at the Rancho Bernardo Inn. We ate a LOT of food - all very yummy!

Then on Saturday,we went in for the 12th week check-up. Yes, Saturday (I guess they are open two Saturdays a month- pretty cool). At our OB's office they like you to see all the doctors in the practice at some point, so that you are familiar with everyone. The first doctor we saw was very nice, no complaints. This time, we were able to see Dr. Bliss (yes, that's her name!), Lisa's primary OB. And, as Lisa would say, "Love her!" She is very upbeat and just has a really great positive energy. Which, as a first-time mom-to-be, I really appreciate. Anyway, we got to see Bean again on the ultrasound monitor (done externally this time - yay) and according to Dr. Bliss Bean looks good. She even used the word "cute!" :) We also got my bloodwork results back from the first visit and everything was normal. Our next appointment is in four weeks.

Per Baby Center's update this week, the most dramatic development of the week: reflexes. Bean's fingers will soon begin to open and close, her toes will curl, her eye muscles will clench, and her mouth will make sucking movements. Her intestines will start to move into her abdominal cavity about now, and her kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder. Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in her brain, synapses are forming furiously. Her face looks unquestionably human: Her eyes have moved from the sides to the front of her head, and her ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, she is just over 2 inches long and weighs half an ounce.

As we get to the end of the first trimester, it does allow for a bit of an exhale (aka sigh of relief). A lot could happen throughout the pregnancy of course, but it does feel good to know that we are on the brink of making it through a pretty big milestone. Next week will feel even better. I think we'll plan to make the announcements next week, so stay tuned for when you can let the cat out of the bag!

I hesitate to say that I think I may be in the clear as far as morning sickness goes, since I still haven't experienced any, but why jinx myself? Instead, I'll just report that I'm still good in that department, and leave it at that. I get easily achy, so new (more) pillows are definitely on the to-buy list, if not a new bed. ;) Allergies are buggin', but when are they not. And I'm still tired a majority of the time. REALLY looking forward to that 2nd trimester burst of energy I keep hearing about!

Foods I'm currently enjoying, possibly too much: honeycrisp apples (the best apples ever), good watermelon (when I can find it), satsumas (lots and lots of satsumas!), potato chips of all varieties (I am not one to discriminate) and yet more comfort food (specifically, chicken and brocolli casserole. I could seriously eat this stuff for weeks...and in fact, I just may)!

Now, excuse me while I try to get into the holiday spirit. I think I may need to watch Elf...again! :)

Comments

Popular Posts