A New Dawn, A New Day, A New Life

...and I'm feelin' good.

It's the perfect time to start our little family blog, if you ask me. As we embark on this new chapter of our life together, as we grow family, and as we turn an historic page in American history.

I arrived at our polling place on Election Day morning at 6:35am and was around 40th in line, sandwiched between neighbors of all ages and ethnic backgrounds. The excitement was palpable. By 7:00am when the polls officially opened there were well over a couple hundred people waiting, and even more by the time I left. I shed a tear as I cast my vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden, shed more as when we watched CNN declare him the winner, and then even more as we watched his acceptance speech from Grant Park in Chicago. (I'm sorry, but if you weren't moved by the events on November 4, 2008, I don't know what to say- there may not be much hope for you. You probably don't like sunshine or babies or puppies, either.)

Two days post-election and we're still riding the high of electing Barack Obama the next President of the United States. This is monumental. A moment in our history that we will never forget and, more importantly, we can look back and say we were a part of it. We were there. We helped make it happen. Words cannot describe the excitement, the happiness, and the pride I feel, because we got it right this time! We elected an intelligent man with great ideas and solid plans for the country, who has and will continue to inspire millions of Americans to become involved in the process of rebuilding our country, and who cares about us, our lives, our health, our environment, our financial stability, and our futures. Oh yeah, and he just happens to be part African-American. Yes, this is a turning point for our country. Never again will we be the same.

I am so happy, so proud. For the first time in a long time I really feel like we have a President who truly cares about his constituents. For the first time in a long time I feel hopeful for the future. It means all the more to me now, as we bring a new life into the world, that I am able to look forward with an overwhelming sense of optimism that we can right the wrongs of the past and build a better future.

In the words of President-Elect Obama, "If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer...Its been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America."

Comments

Popular Posts