First Day of Preschool
It was a big day today- Lucy's first day of preschool!
The morning started out hectic. As prepared as I thought I was ahead of time, all those last minute items on the list seemed to take longer than need be, so I found myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Not optimal. Luckily, despite some chaos, we were able to leave the house not as early as I would've liked, but relatively on time. Since today was a very special day, both Brian and I took Lucy to school. So, off the three of us went, one of us with a backpack packed with snacks, strapped on securely. :) Recently, a couple of neighborhood mom friends who have older kids at the school gave me the scoop on a back way to get to school, to avoid much of the traffic. So handy! On the drive over, we talked about preschool and our little preschooler was as excited as she's been. As we walked toward the school, she got excited upon seeing her school and the school sign. "That's my school," she exclaimed, as she approached the entrance gate.
We walked her into her classroom, and immediately saw her friend Charlotte and her parents. I reminded her about the fun she would get to have, and I also reminded her to listen to her teacher and be sure to let her teacher know if she needed to use the potty. She agreed. Then, as we began to say our goodbyes, she seemed to get a little apprehensive and asked, "Where are you going, Mom?" (OMG, really??) I tried to reassure her. "I'm going, but I'm going to pick you up in a little while," I said. "Why don't you pick out a book to read?" (They start each day with time where kids sit on the floor and can listen to stories and/or look at books themselves.) She said, "I don't want to pick a book." (Oh no.) Thankfully, at that moment, Lucy's teacher swooped in and asked if she could put Lucy's name tag on. Lucy agreed. Then, Ms. Alicia held her hand out and said, "Why don't you come with me- you can be my helper!" And off they went. And off we went, to make our getaway. ;)
I have to admit, I was somewhat taken aback by her apprehension, since, while completely natural and understandable, I wasn't expecting it since she had been so excited. Again, I think she may have noted sadness and apprehension from other kids. But, I still knew deep down that she would probably be okay after we left. So as much as I wanted to take one last peek in to see how she was doing, I refrained. And then we walked out.
Everything happened so fast, I hardly had time to think about how I was feeling. I was too busy trying to make sure she was okay. We got back to the car, and my eyes were still dry. Could it be? Would I actually make it through her first day of preschool drop off without shedding a tear? Then, as we started to drive away, my eyes began to well up, and then stream down my cheeks. Oh well. :)
When I went to pick her up, she ran out, holding a hat she had made. She announced that she had to get her backpack (which she still pronounces 'pack-pack'). (Note: In the middle of the pick-up madness, Miss Alicia saw me and quickly told me that "She was fine until the end," which I took to mean that she got sad at the end of the day. I've heard that's a common thing on the first day, so I'm not worried.) Then we walked over to the side and she told me she had fun. Hooray! I hope she's this enthusiastic on Friday, when I have to drop her off again! I heard the second day is sometimes worse, since the kids know what to expect. *fingers crossed*
After I picked her up, we went to have lunch with Brian, so that Lucy could tell him about her day at school, and then she got to do one of her favorite things- visiting Daddy's office.
All in all, it went well, I'd say. :) I also have to add that I've gotten calls, texts, emails, and Facebook messages from friends all day long letting me know they were thinking of us and asking about how our day went. I even got some insight into how Lucy was doing at school from a few neighborhood friends who have kids in the 4 year-old classes, which are at a slightly different time. As they dropped off their own daughters at school, they took it upon themselves to look out for Lucy and see what and how she was doing, and then let me know. I am so appreciative of this, since the curiosity was killing me! From them I learned the following: "Saw darling Lucy this morning and she was doing great and having fun at playtime"; "I saw her when I was dropping Ellie off, playing with chalk outside, smiling and having fun with a new friend. Made me smile. :)"; and "We saw Lucy this morning after dropping off Syd and she was volunteering herself as line leader. Looks like she's loving preschool already!" I even got a picture taken by one of my 'spies' on the DL, of Lucy's class. They are so cute! And I love that she and Charlotte were holding hands. :)
Aw! *warm fuzzies* I'm so touched. And I feel so lucky and grateful for our network of friends and family, who care about Lucy - and this milestone in her life - as much as we do. I don't care what anyone else says- it really does take a village. I appreciate the village, and I love the village. And, I love our little preschooler!
I know she is going to have fun and thrive at preschool. I can't wait to watch her bloom even bigger and brighter! We love you, Munchie!
The morning started out hectic. As prepared as I thought I was ahead of time, all those last minute items on the list seemed to take longer than need be, so I found myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Not optimal. Luckily, despite some chaos, we were able to leave the house not as early as I would've liked, but relatively on time. Since today was a very special day, both Brian and I took Lucy to school. So, off the three of us went, one of us with a backpack packed with snacks, strapped on securely. :) Recently, a couple of neighborhood mom friends who have older kids at the school gave me the scoop on a back way to get to school, to avoid much of the traffic. So handy! On the drive over, we talked about preschool and our little preschooler was as excited as she's been. As we walked toward the school, she got excited upon seeing her school and the school sign. "That's my school," she exclaimed, as she approached the entrance gate.
We walked her into her classroom, and immediately saw her friend Charlotte and her parents. I reminded her about the fun she would get to have, and I also reminded her to listen to her teacher and be sure to let her teacher know if she needed to use the potty. She agreed. Then, as we began to say our goodbyes, she seemed to get a little apprehensive and asked, "Where are you going, Mom?" (OMG, really??) I tried to reassure her. "I'm going, but I'm going to pick you up in a little while," I said. "Why don't you pick out a book to read?" (They start each day with time where kids sit on the floor and can listen to stories and/or look at books themselves.) She said, "I don't want to pick a book." (Oh no.) Thankfully, at that moment, Lucy's teacher swooped in and asked if she could put Lucy's name tag on. Lucy agreed. Then, Ms. Alicia held her hand out and said, "Why don't you come with me- you can be my helper!" And off they went. And off we went, to make our getaway. ;)
I have to admit, I was somewhat taken aback by her apprehension, since, while completely natural and understandable, I wasn't expecting it since she had been so excited. Again, I think she may have noted sadness and apprehension from other kids. But, I still knew deep down that she would probably be okay after we left. So as much as I wanted to take one last peek in to see how she was doing, I refrained. And then we walked out.
Everything happened so fast, I hardly had time to think about how I was feeling. I was too busy trying to make sure she was okay. We got back to the car, and my eyes were still dry. Could it be? Would I actually make it through her first day of preschool drop off without shedding a tear? Then, as we started to drive away, my eyes began to well up, and then stream down my cheeks. Oh well. :)
When I went to pick her up, she ran out, holding a hat she had made. She announced that she had to get her backpack (which she still pronounces 'pack-pack'). (Note: In the middle of the pick-up madness, Miss Alicia saw me and quickly told me that "She was fine until the end," which I took to mean that she got sad at the end of the day. I've heard that's a common thing on the first day, so I'm not worried.) Then we walked over to the side and she told me she had fun. Hooray! I hope she's this enthusiastic on Friday, when I have to drop her off again! I heard the second day is sometimes worse, since the kids know what to expect. *fingers crossed*
After I picked her up, we went to have lunch with Brian, so that Lucy could tell him about her day at school, and then she got to do one of her favorite things- visiting Daddy's office.
All in all, it went well, I'd say. :) I also have to add that I've gotten calls, texts, emails, and Facebook messages from friends all day long letting me know they were thinking of us and asking about how our day went. I even got some insight into how Lucy was doing at school from a few neighborhood friends who have kids in the 4 year-old classes, which are at a slightly different time. As they dropped off their own daughters at school, they took it upon themselves to look out for Lucy and see what and how she was doing, and then let me know. I am so appreciative of this, since the curiosity was killing me! From them I learned the following: "Saw darling Lucy this morning and she was doing great and having fun at playtime"; "I saw her when I was dropping Ellie off, playing with chalk outside, smiling and having fun with a new friend. Made me smile. :)"; and "We saw Lucy this morning after dropping off Syd and she was volunteering herself as line leader. Looks like she's loving preschool already!" I even got a picture taken by one of my 'spies' on the DL, of Lucy's class. They are so cute! And I love that she and Charlotte were holding hands. :)
Aw! *warm fuzzies* I'm so touched. And I feel so lucky and grateful for our network of friends and family, who care about Lucy - and this milestone in her life - as much as we do. I don't care what anyone else says- it really does take a village. I appreciate the village, and I love the village. And, I love our little preschooler!
I know she is going to have fun and thrive at preschool. I can't wait to watch her bloom even bigger and brighter! We love you, Munchie!











Comments
a girl and a little lady..."! WOW!
They DO grow up don't they. We're all so proud of you Lucy! Mom and Dad get a big hug cause they're doing such a great job helping you become the sweetheart that you are!It was also so heartwarming to hear that some of your buddies moms
checked in on you! And holding hands with Charlotte, precious!