One step closer to preschool!

Preschool. All of Lucy's buddies have either already started recently, or will be starting soon. Lucy starts next week. As preschool draws near, I find that I'm feeling a mix of emotions. On one hand, I'm sad to know that this precious time I've had with Lucy all-day, every-day is coming to an end. It's truly the end of an era, which is sad, but of course that's just part of life and her growing up. So on the other hand, I am excited. I won't lie- it will be nice to have some time apart, even if it's just a few hours a few days a week. But mostly, I'm excited for her, because I think she's ready to embark on this new chapter in her life. She's excited about going to preschool, and I really do think she'll love it and have so much fun.

Today was orientation day. We were all excited about going to the school, including Lucy. I felt nervous butterflies all morning- and this was only for orientation! But I was so looking forward to seeing the school again, meeting her teacher, and learning more about what to expect. When we arrived, we noticed little boxes filled with paperwork and a student's name. We found Lucy's, and she sat down at the table while we waited for orientation to begin.


As the orientation started, few aides took the kids out to the playground to play, while the parents remained in the classroom. Some of the kids were apprehensive to leave and/or cried, and/or needed to be escorted out with a parent. But not our Lucy. She asked, "Can I go outside?" and when we said she could and told her to go stand in line, she promptly walked over to the door, and then left with the others, without even giving us a second glance. I was so proud of her...and relieved!

We met Lucy's teacher, Ms. Alicia (pronounced: Ah-lee-see-ah). She seems really warm and caring, and sympathetic to the concerns of parents, especially those of us who are leaving kids at school for the first time, which I really appreciate. (Yay, I'm so glad I like her! Phew!)


It was ridiculously warm today and in the classroom, but that aside, orientation was great. The classroom is pretty much what I would expect a regular preschool classroom to look like. Ms. Alicia seems really caring and excited about teaching our kids. The school community that is already in place seems really strong and positive, and they encourage fostering that sense of community, which will be nice. It reminded me of our mommy & me school in that sense. Speaking of, it's so nice for Lucy to be going to preschool with her good friend Charlotte, as well as Mason, who we also know from our mommy & me classes. It's reassuring to see a few familiar faces in this new environment- not just for her, but for me, too. We also met a few other teachers, and learned about general school administrative policies, the PTA, and a little about what to expect will go on in Miss Alicia's class. Lucy's preschool follows the Creative Curriculum, which involves learning through play. However, this is not to be confused with being strictly play-based. There is a class schedule and teacher-led activities. There are fun activities planned, which include fieldtrips, cooking, gardening, and special holiday events, as well as daily circle, story, music, and play time.


Our friend Suzanna, looked out the window now and then to check on Charlotte and  Lucy playing. She reported that Lucy was all over the place, playing, and happy, so yay! When we reconnected with her, she said she had fun. Later, she added (in a semi-sad voice) that she missed me, which may have been true, but my hunch tells me she may have thought to say that only after she saw other kids' reactions. I don't think she was really sad.

We got to take home our box of paperwork, which we are to return with some items to keep for her at school, as well as a cute school t-shirt, which she insisted on wearing to nap. :)

This time is so bittersweet, but overall I am really excited for her. I think it's going to be great. That may not stop the tears from flowing a week from today, but oh well. As long as she doesn't freak out, I think I'll be okay. Well, maybe not entirely, but I'll survive. ;)

Comments

Jen said…
Yay! Glad it was a great day :) If its any help, I was more of a wreck Sunday, by Monday I was okay...although I may have literally thought about E all day long that day ;) She'll do great!
Gramma and Grampa C. said…
You've done a fabulous job of preparing Lucy for this day! She seems to love every part of the school experience. Grampa and I are so happy for you, Brian and especially, Lucy!

All our love!

Popular Posts