First dentist appointment
There are conflicting ideas about when babies/kids should see a dentist for the first time. Most I've heard suggest around age 2, but I've also heard as early as 1. It seemed kind of crazy to us, so we never took her that early. Well, fast forward and now she's 3 and had still never been to the dentist. That is, until today.
There are a few pediatric dental offices in the area, and everyone seems to like their particular kid's dentist. I picked one who received rave reviews, and (finally) made an appointment for Lucy at Westchester Pediatric Dentistry. I had to complete online 'paperwork.' Loved that, first of all. A high-tech office- yay! It was so easy and user-friendly! Second thing I loved: they ask you questions about how you think they can make your child's experience at the dentist a good one. For example, they ask about your child's favorite activities, temperament, and the one I loved best- their favorite movie. :) I thought that was so thoughtful and really showed a genuine interest in making the experience a good one. And since it was going to be Lucy's first time, it put me at ease...a little. And that was even before we stepped a foot in the door!
We've been prepping for the dentist visit for several weeks. We've been talking about going to the dentist, and have been reading a storybook about going to the dentist. I told Lucy the day before that we'd be going to the dentist, and she was excited, however, she would add, "...but I don't want to open my mouth." Um, okay. Good luck with that. (We chose to ignore that last part.)
When we arrived at the dentist, we walked into the waiting room and she immediately saw Toy Story 2 playing on a tv. "Ooh! Look! Toy Story 2!" She immediately liked it. We waited our turn, and she played with the toys and watched the movie.
When the dental hygienist, called Lucy's name, she hopped right up. The first thing she got to do was choose a movie she wanted to watch while in the dentist chair. She chose a movie Daddy worked on, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. :) Then, we were directed to the exam room. As soon as we went in, she pointed at the chair and said, "I want to sit in that chair!" and climbed up. She was super excited to see the screen above her head.* The dental hygienist introduced herself (her name was CeCe), and reclined the chair and proceeded to explain to Lucy what she was doing. First, she let Lucy choose the flavor of toothpaste that she wanted (she chose chocolate), and then she cleaned her teeth. Despite her repeated earlier proclamations, Lucy opened her mouth wide and willingly, and didn't flinch at all! She didn't even flinch when her mouth was being rinsed, or given fluoride. When CeCe was done, she explained that the dentist would be coming in next to count her teeth.
Not two minutes later, Dr. Deepa came in with a big, warm smile, introduced herself, and explained that she was going to count her teeth. She confirmed that Lucy is still missing her last two top/back molars, but said it's nothing to worry about. She also let us know that Lucy doesn't have any cavities (yay!) and told Lucy that she's doing a great job brushing her teeth (also, yay)!
Lucy was very excited about the next part of the visit. CeCe gave her a little bag that contained a new toothbrush and a little sand timer, so she would know how long to brush her teeth (2 minutes), and then she got to pick out a sticker and a toy from the prize box. This was a BIG hit! And, that was that! The appointment lasted maybe 10 minutes. The entire practice couldn't have been more kid-friendly, everyone (the staff are all women as far as I could tell) were really sweet, and I loved Dr. Deepa. Best of all, I was worried for no reason (once again). Lucy did so great!
She was an enthusiastic, cooperative, and model patient. I was SO proud of her! :)After we left, she said her teeth felt nice and clean. :) She'll go back in six months for a check up.
* 'Grown-up' dentists take note: If someone could make my dental experience half as cool as this, I wouldn't put off going as much as I do. I would TOTALLY go to this practice if I could! (The last time I actually enjoyed going to the dentist was when I was young and Aunty Allison cleaned my teeth. It's been downhill ever since.)
Unrelated: Happy Birthday to my mom, who would have been 66 years old today. I love you, Mom.
There are a few pediatric dental offices in the area, and everyone seems to like their particular kid's dentist. I picked one who received rave reviews, and (finally) made an appointment for Lucy at Westchester Pediatric Dentistry. I had to complete online 'paperwork.' Loved that, first of all. A high-tech office- yay! It was so easy and user-friendly! Second thing I loved: they ask you questions about how you think they can make your child's experience at the dentist a good one. For example, they ask about your child's favorite activities, temperament, and the one I loved best- their favorite movie. :) I thought that was so thoughtful and really showed a genuine interest in making the experience a good one. And since it was going to be Lucy's first time, it put me at ease...a little. And that was even before we stepped a foot in the door!
We've been prepping for the dentist visit for several weeks. We've been talking about going to the dentist, and have been reading a storybook about going to the dentist. I told Lucy the day before that we'd be going to the dentist, and she was excited, however, she would add, "...but I don't want to open my mouth." Um, okay. Good luck with that. (We chose to ignore that last part.)
When we arrived at the dentist, we walked into the waiting room and she immediately saw Toy Story 2 playing on a tv. "Ooh! Look! Toy Story 2!" She immediately liked it. We waited our turn, and she played with the toys and watched the movie.
Not two minutes later, Dr. Deepa came in with a big, warm smile, introduced herself, and explained that she was going to count her teeth. She confirmed that Lucy is still missing her last two top/back molars, but said it's nothing to worry about. She also let us know that Lucy doesn't have any cavities (yay!) and told Lucy that she's doing a great job brushing her teeth (also, yay)!
Lucy was very excited about the next part of the visit. CeCe gave her a little bag that contained a new toothbrush and a little sand timer, so she would know how long to brush her teeth (2 minutes), and then she got to pick out a sticker and a toy from the prize box. This was a BIG hit! And, that was that! The appointment lasted maybe 10 minutes. The entire practice couldn't have been more kid-friendly, everyone (the staff are all women as far as I could tell) were really sweet, and I loved Dr. Deepa. Best of all, I was worried for no reason (once again). Lucy did so great!
She was an enthusiastic, cooperative, and model patient. I was SO proud of her! :)After we left, she said her teeth felt nice and clean. :) She'll go back in six months for a check up.
* 'Grown-up' dentists take note: If someone could make my dental experience half as cool as this, I wouldn't put off going as much as I do. I would TOTALLY go to this practice if I could! (The last time I actually enjoyed going to the dentist was when I was young and Aunty Allison cleaned my teeth. It's been downhill ever since.)
Unrelated: Happy Birthday to my mom, who would have been 66 years old today. I love you, Mom.








Comments