Raisin-in-nose incident (dun dun dun)


In case you're wondering what happened during the infamous raisin-in-nose incident I mentioned in my last post, here's how it went down:


To set the scene, during week two of long days and general exhaustion-triggered crankiness (on both of our parts). Lucy had a runny nose and I can't remember if I came down with my bug yet, but I know I was tired emotionally and physically and just trying to get through what I knew was going to be another long week of Brian working long hours. In short, she was not feeling herself and I know I wasn't feeling myself either. It was breakfast time, however, Lucy was refusing to eat much of anything, except for some cheerios-type cereal with raisins mixed in. At some point, she asked for more water. So I left for a few seconds to fill her cup and when I returned, she said, "raisin" while pointing at her right nostril.

Um...

"Raisin?" I asked. It took me a moment before I realized what had taken place. Fearing the worst, I said, "Raisin...in your nose?"

"Yes."

GAH!!! (Cue the panic button.)

Panic ensued.


I was glad that she actually told me what she did, otherwise I shudder to think how long that thing could've been up in there! But now what? I tried to dig it out with my finger. Which of course just shoved it in there even further. So then I tried to get her to blow out of her nose. Which I think she just ended up breathing in instead. FAIL. I tried to remain calm- at least on the outside, because I didn't want to freak her out. I took her out of her high chair and into the bathroom where I could see better. That helped not at all. Do I try to use her little nose tweezers? Or would that shove them up there even more? Am I going to have to be that mom that rushes her toddler into urgent care because she let her kid stick a raisin up her nose? Finally, I the idea came to me to use her nose suction thingy, which we had been using since she'd been having a runny nose. And voila- it worked! THANK GOD!!


Please note: the photographs in this post were taken today, not on the day in question. Please also note: today was the first day I allowed her to eat raisins again on my watch. I can only hope there isn't a raisin up her nose as we speak!

Comments

Grampa and Gramma F said…
Well...at least she told you! She's so smart! Raisin in my nose Mom, do what you gotta do!
Lucy James Casper! You are such a pretty little girl!!
Gramma and Grampa C. said…
Lucy, your dad was AL LEAST a year older than you are now, when he stuck a rock up his nose. I'm not quite sure what he said, but, I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything as precise as "Rock"!
Suz said…
LOL!! Sticking stuff up your nose must be a hereditary thing! Glad everything ended up okay (note to self: keep the nose sucker for emergencies...)
Jen said…
...and here she is looking like little miss innocent - as if she didn't have a rap sheet!

Popular Posts