I will miss my dog brother

I will always remember him like this. Smiling at us. :)


Tobi, the cutest shiba inu ever, came to live with Dad, Faye, and Ash long after I moved away, but I got to know him and love him during my visits back home. I remember the way he would run to get a ball as soon as I walked in the door, so we could play fetch, aka: "slobberball." It was called this for the obvious reason. ;) He was notorious for cheating, as he would sometimes start to dart off even before the ball was thrown (nice try, Tobes!), but we had fun tricking him, too. It was good times. When he would tire of running up and down the hallway or to and fro the other rooms, he would decide the game was over and plop down a little ways away from us to watch us. When I visited and stayed at the house, I would often wake up to find him laying down outside my bedroom door. He was a great protector.

He was also sweet, good-natured, loyal, really smart, and could seemingly comprehend the English language exceedingly well for a dogger. When he would wake up Faye in the morning and she needed a little more sleep, she would say, "ten more minutes" and he would walk away, then return in ten minutes. Kind of like a doggy snooze alarm. :)

He was an important member of the family- a companion, confidant, and the "son" my dad never had. :) He brought so much love to my family, and for that I will always feel a debt of gratitude. He was a life changer. Literally. He changed lives. And that's the highest compliment I can imagine any one of us could hope to receive about our time here.

You are already missed, Tobes. I hope you're devouring lots of treats (almost as many as Dad would feed you!), demolishing tons of squeaker toys, and playing slobberball to your heart's content. Keep 'em nice and slimy for us! We love you!

siblings

Comments

gramma and Grampa C. said…
Wow! I don't know what to say. I wish I'd known him.
Shelby said…
Dogs are family, what else can you say? We miss Mandy every day still, 2 years after losing her. Sara still talks about her as if she's here. Tobes sounds like he was an awesome dog. Love to you and your dad, Faye, and Ash.
sister said…
Sister, that was a beautiful post!
I'm still sad but reading your post and remembering To makes me smile.
G&G C and Shelby, thank you for your kind words.
dee said…
Oh sad, I know how much that dog was loved! I hope he's up there with my Maxie trading funny stories about your dad :)

Popular Posts