Goals, Aspirations, and Intentions
I don't make New Year's resolutions, but I do try to start out each year with some goals for myself. I started out last year with three specific homey/crafty goals, which included finally getting around to doing a few things I've wanted to try for years- bake bread, make and can jam, and learn to crochet. I am happy to say that during the course of last year I did all three!
I baked my first loaf of bread - real bread, from scratch - in February. I bought a few supplies, followed this book, and presto- bread! I've only made the master recipe bread so far, but is was surprisingly easy and so yummy! And of course the aroma of fresh bread baking in the house is just about as good as it gets.
The jam making and canning process intimidated me for years, despite my desire to make some, so I procrastinated on that one. But I have many friends who are into canning who were able to help me get over my fear and give it a try in September- slightly on the tail end of the season, but hey, I did it! I decided on strawberry jam, since it's a good basic, and fairly straightforward. And you know what? Turns out the science of it all wasn't as complicated as I imagined it would be, and the resulting jam? Delicious!
And thanks to my friends Lori and MJ, two very talented knitters and crocheters (and sewers and cooks, amongst many other talents), I finally learned how to crochet in December- just in the nick of time! Sadly, I haven't picked up the hook since the day they sat down to teach me, but I do plan to pick it up again. I hope I can remember how to continue with the little circle I started!
My homey/crafty goals for this year is to do more of the above- baking more bread, canning more jam and preserves this summer, and crocheting some potholders. In addition, my knitting goal is to knit more for us, and perhaps even a sweater for myself, since most of my knitting is usually for gifts. I would also like to expand my cooking and baking repertoire, try new recipes, and of course I always strive to prepare healthier meals.
This year I also have health and fitness aspirations. Sure, over the years I've had sweeping, cliche resolution-type goals like 'eat healthier' and 'work out more' but this year I'm actually putting it into action- at least on the exercise front.
If you know anything about me, you know that I am not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination. I am also not a workout person, per se. There have been times in my life when I've gone to the gym, but it's not my cup of tea. I've always enjoyed and had the most success with yoga and pilates. I've been going to a weekly yoga class for over nine months and I LOVE it! I plan to devote a post to yoga, but for now I will say that it enhances my life in the most amazing way whenever I'm in a regular practice- it makes me feel strong and just really good overall, in mind and body. I look forward to my Saturday morning class all week, and I plan to keep it up!
In addition to yoga, I also started running. Yes, you read that right. I just started doing something called Couch-to-5K. It's a training program that gets a non-runner running three miles (or 5K) in nine weeks. No, I'm not signed up for an actual 5K (yet)! I just want to get off my butt and start running.
So what prompted this, you may be wondering. Well, I've been feeling crappy and gross for a while now. I weigh more now than I did shortly after giving birth, which is just plain wrong. I want to feel healthy and good in my skin (not to mention- clothes), and it's become clear that that's not going to happen without making some changes. Of course I will keep striving to eat healthier, but I know I also need to get more exercise. And since I've been wanting to try running for a while, I figured this would be a good place to start.
I've been interested in running for a long time, because it seems like such a cool thing to do, as well as a great way to stay in shape. And I'm intrigued by runners because I could never (and still can't, really) conceive of running for any decent length of time. I mean, how do they do it?? I've thought about trying to run several times in the past, but I never really knew what I was doing, and was never able to get into, or stick with it. Recently, I remembered I have quite a few friends who did C25K in the past and had success with it, so I decided to give it a try.
What's nice and convenient is that I don't have to work too hard to fit a run into my schedule- I can usually just fit my run into the times when I usually take Lucy for a walk already. Our jogging stroller makes it easy (to go, not to push and run- I think I should get extra credit for that), as does the helpful C25K app I have on my phone, which really makes it easy to keep track of each workout.
Let me just say that it's not easy- my legs still feel heavy and I have a hard time catching my breath at times. I'm still skeptical that I'll be able to run for 30 minutes straight in just two months, since I still have no idea how I'll manage to run for 3 minutes straight next week(!), but I am going to do my best to follow the program and trust in the process. I'm trying to not look too far ahead, but rather concentrate on one thing at a time, taking it day by day and week by week, and keep pushing myself.
As of today, I completed week 2. Just two weeks so far, but that in itself is a huge accomplishment for me, considering how much I could (not) run just a couple weeks ago. I'm so excited, and I'm feeling pretty darn proud of myself. B said he's proud of me too, which makes me feel even better! If I do what I'm supposed to, I will be running 3 miles in two months, and although part of me still can't understand how that could possibly happen, I just think- if I can do it, how freaking amazing would that be? :) Yes, I would like to lose weight. But ultimately, if I were to complete C25K, come to love running, and be able to call myself a 'runner' at the end, I will be- well, shocked, for one, but in a good way, so proud of myself, and really happy! Wish me luck!
My overall intention for the year ahead is to have a positive outlook every day; to approach each day (and throughout each day) as it comes; and to truly try to appreciate all the moments that make up my days, even when they're not so fun. Time goes by so fast that I really want to savor as much as I can, without getting wrapped up in the little stresses or annoyances that may come up. I really am so thankful to be living the life that I live, with the family and friends that I have. I want to always be mindful of that, and to *live* the gratitude each and every day. Easier said than done at times, but it's my goal.
"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things."
I baked my first loaf of bread - real bread, from scratch - in February. I bought a few supplies, followed this book, and presto- bread! I've only made the master recipe bread so far, but is was surprisingly easy and so yummy! And of course the aroma of fresh bread baking in the house is just about as good as it gets.
![]() |
| first loaf of bread |
![]() |
| first batch of strawberry jam |
![]() |
| first crochet |
This year I also have health and fitness aspirations. Sure, over the years I've had sweeping, cliche resolution-type goals like 'eat healthier' and 'work out more' but this year I'm actually putting it into action- at least on the exercise front.
If you know anything about me, you know that I am not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination. I am also not a workout person, per se. There have been times in my life when I've gone to the gym, but it's not my cup of tea. I've always enjoyed and had the most success with yoga and pilates. I've been going to a weekly yoga class for over nine months and I LOVE it! I plan to devote a post to yoga, but for now I will say that it enhances my life in the most amazing way whenever I'm in a regular practice- it makes me feel strong and just really good overall, in mind and body. I look forward to my Saturday morning class all week, and I plan to keep it up!
In addition to yoga, I also started running. Yes, you read that right. I just started doing something called Couch-to-5K. It's a training program that gets a non-runner running three miles (or 5K) in nine weeks. No, I'm not signed up for an actual 5K (yet)! I just want to get off my butt and start running.
So what prompted this, you may be wondering. Well, I've been feeling crappy and gross for a while now. I weigh more now than I did shortly after giving birth, which is just plain wrong. I want to feel healthy and good in my skin (not to mention- clothes), and it's become clear that that's not going to happen without making some changes. Of course I will keep striving to eat healthier, but I know I also need to get more exercise. And since I've been wanting to try running for a while, I figured this would be a good place to start.
I've been interested in running for a long time, because it seems like such a cool thing to do, as well as a great way to stay in shape. And I'm intrigued by runners because I could never (and still can't, really) conceive of running for any decent length of time. I mean, how do they do it?? I've thought about trying to run several times in the past, but I never really knew what I was doing, and was never able to get into, or stick with it. Recently, I remembered I have quite a few friends who did C25K in the past and had success with it, so I decided to give it a try.
What's nice and convenient is that I don't have to work too hard to fit a run into my schedule- I can usually just fit my run into the times when I usually take Lucy for a walk already. Our jogging stroller makes it easy (to go, not to push and run- I think I should get extra credit for that), as does the helpful C25K app I have on my phone, which really makes it easy to keep track of each workout.
Let me just say that it's not easy- my legs still feel heavy and I have a hard time catching my breath at times. I'm still skeptical that I'll be able to run for 30 minutes straight in just two months, since I still have no idea how I'll manage to run for 3 minutes straight next week(!), but I am going to do my best to follow the program and trust in the process. I'm trying to not look too far ahead, but rather concentrate on one thing at a time, taking it day by day and week by week, and keep pushing myself.
As of today, I completed week 2. Just two weeks so far, but that in itself is a huge accomplishment for me, considering how much I could (not) run just a couple weeks ago. I'm so excited, and I'm feeling pretty darn proud of myself. B said he's proud of me too, which makes me feel even better! If I do what I'm supposed to, I will be running 3 miles in two months, and although part of me still can't understand how that could possibly happen, I just think- if I can do it, how freaking amazing would that be? :) Yes, I would like to lose weight. But ultimately, if I were to complete C25K, come to love running, and be able to call myself a 'runner' at the end, I will be- well, shocked, for one, but in a good way, so proud of myself, and really happy! Wish me luck!
My overall intention for the year ahead is to have a positive outlook every day; to approach each day (and throughout each day) as it comes; and to truly try to appreciate all the moments that make up my days, even when they're not so fun. Time goes by so fast that I really want to savor as much as I can, without getting wrapped up in the little stresses or annoyances that may come up. I really am so thankful to be living the life that I live, with the family and friends that I have. I want to always be mindful of that, and to *live* the gratitude each and every day. Easier said than done at times, but it's my goal.
"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things."






Comments
We're so proud of your many 2010 accomplishments, and we're proud to say we were able to sample your delicious strawberry jam.
As for 2011, Wow! We're very proud of you. You go girl!!
We wondered what C25K was! We totally understand the effort it takes to accomplish the goals you've set for yourself. And, with running, the days that seem the hardest to get up and go---those will be the most emotionally rewarding!
By the way, we finished our jam a long time ago. Where's the new batch???
We'd wish you luck if you needed it but we know you'll get the run done. You need to. Lucy does 5Ks between naps and snacks.