ch-ch-ch-changes
Lucy is seven weeks old today and I can't believe how much has changed. We moved into our new place, Brian is back at work (*sniff*) and the little lady is getting big!
Our new place, though sadly not in our beloved old neighborhood, is pretty great. I jokingly refer to it as "Condoland," because we live in a condo complex that is within a larger condo community (literally, I'm pretty sure this area is its own city). It has all the modern conveniences: more space, updated everything, A/C, 2 car gated parking, A/C, and oh, did I mention A/C? :) If you've known me for any length of time, you know that in 20 years I have lived in many places, and while they were rich in character, none could really boast having many "modern conveniences." So you can imagine what a culture shock this is...but I'm getting used to it. Having a Coffee Bean and Pinkberry within walking distance doesn't hurt. ;) We're still getting settled and still unpacking boxes, but at least the living room doesn't look like it when we first moved in!
One downer is that we don't have our own yard anymore, but at least we live on the first floor, near the front, so we do have pretty easy access for taking out Dakota. There are a ton of dogs (and babies) in the area, and everyone seems pretty friendly and eager to meet the doogles, Lucy, and yes, us too. While strolling around with Lucy the other day, I came across a posse of moms and strollers, and later met one of the moms, who informed me about different mom's group events in the area. (I knew there had to be something like that around here!) I think we'll drop in on one of the meet-ups this week.
Another downer: Brian doesn't work 2 blocks from home anymore, which means that aside from having to drive to work now (can you hear the violins in the background?), he also can't just come home for lunch as easily anymore. This is a serious bummer, considering he's back to work full time now, and Miss Lucy (and the doogles) and I are on our own all day. Maybe we'll just have to pack up and go visit him sometimes!
So yeah- being "home alone" with Lucy...it's been a week so far- a blurry week. It's odd- on one hand, the days seem long- on the other hand, they seem to fly by, mostly because by the time Brian comes home I feel like I haven't done much all day. It's truly shocking to me how much time I spend tending to the baby, between feeding, changing, soothing, etc. It makes sense when you break it down, because I realize I am doing important work, but it still feels weird to not have anything tangible to look at as having been accomplished, if that makes sense. Especially when we still have so much unpacking to do, which I feel like I should be making more progress with. All I know is when they say being a stay-at-home-mom is a full time job...dude! This is not an exaggeration! Lucky for us her adorable-ness more than makes up for what I call her "crazy lady" episodes. :) I wouldn't trade this time with her for anything (even when she's masquerading as the Crazy Lady)!
Speaking of the little lady, she's getting nice and plump and developing those adorable chubby arms, thighs, and feet that I love so much in babies. Again, yay- as these are signs that she's getting lots of food! (You know how paranoid I am about this.) One thing she's losing? Hair! When she was born she had a nice head of dark hair, but she's lost a good amount on top, starting in the front, moving along the sides and toward the back. Kinda like someone else we know. ;)
Her new hair is starting to grow in now, and it's kind of hard to tell, but it looks like a medium brown, with a tinge of red in the sunlight. We'll have to wait and see what it will be like when it gets longer! Her eyes, still as giant as ever, have remained a really dark brown. I'm guessing it'll stay that way.
She's started to make cute little non-crying sounds- more of the happy coos and sighs, and she's added to her repertoire what sounds like "ah-goo." She "says" this a lot. I wish I knew what it meant! ;) Recently we've been noticing that she's smiling more - perhaps even on purpose - which is SO awesome! Also awesome: I discovered that she likes at least one of the baby carriers we have, the New Native sling. This is a godsend, as it not only allows me to have my hands free so that I'm able to take the dog out, she also likes to sleep in it!
The few times I've tried her in either the Moby or Ergo, she hasn't been too happy, but I'm going to keep trying, as I know a lot can depend on her mood at the time. I also think she will like the Ergo more as she gets bigger. At least I've found something that works for now!
What's also exciting is we had some very special visitors recently, as Aunty Carmen, Lisa, and Cindy came to visit us a week ago. It was SO nice to be able to spend some time with them! These women are all so special to me- I consider them family, having known them literally my whole life. Aunty Carmen was my mom's very close friend since high school and her girls and I have been friends since we were babies. We grew up together, went to school together, and have been (and will be) lifelong friends. There's something overwhelmingly comforting about being with people who have known you your entire life. They are like sisters to me and I love them to death. I know these three loved my mom and miss her about as much as me. Having them here meant so much to me. They feel like home. I only wish we could all hang out together more often.
Luckily, we do still have some family nearby. We're lucky to have Lisa, Reid, Ally, and Kyra close by. They know all too well what it's like to be going through what we're going through. They had to move when K&A were six weeks old, too! They've been extremely considerate and helpful, coming by to visit, as well as bring us yummy food. We appreciate them SO much and we look forward to many, many more visits! I'm so excited that the girls will be able to grow up together. I remember how much fun Lisa and I had when we were little, and it brings me much joy to envision the girls all having fun playing together in the future. Lucy is lucky- her cousins love her so much already!
Well, it's about that time for another feeding. Hope the cute pics makes up for the delay in posting. I really do have the best intentions of more regularly scheduled blog posts, but uh, this is not as high on Lucy's to-do list, and right now what she says goes. ;) So, by for now!
Our new place, though sadly not in our beloved old neighborhood, is pretty great. I jokingly refer to it as "Condoland," because we live in a condo complex that is within a larger condo community (literally, I'm pretty sure this area is its own city). It has all the modern conveniences: more space, updated everything, A/C, 2 car gated parking, A/C, and oh, did I mention A/C? :) If you've known me for any length of time, you know that in 20 years I have lived in many places, and while they were rich in character, none could really boast having many "modern conveniences." So you can imagine what a culture shock this is...but I'm getting used to it. Having a Coffee Bean and Pinkberry within walking distance doesn't hurt. ;) We're still getting settled and still unpacking boxes, but at least the living room doesn't look like it when we first moved in!
One downer is that we don't have our own yard anymore, but at least we live on the first floor, near the front, so we do have pretty easy access for taking out Dakota. There are a ton of dogs (and babies) in the area, and everyone seems pretty friendly and eager to meet the doogles, Lucy, and yes, us too. While strolling around with Lucy the other day, I came across a posse of moms and strollers, and later met one of the moms, who informed me about different mom's group events in the area. (I knew there had to be something like that around here!) I think we'll drop in on one of the meet-ups this week.Another downer: Brian doesn't work 2 blocks from home anymore, which means that aside from having to drive to work now (can you hear the violins in the background?), he also can't just come home for lunch as easily anymore. This is a serious bummer, considering he's back to work full time now, and Miss Lucy (and the doogles) and I are on our own all day. Maybe we'll just have to pack up and go visit him sometimes!
So yeah- being "home alone" with Lucy...it's been a week so far- a blurry week. It's odd- on one hand, the days seem long- on the other hand, they seem to fly by, mostly because by the time Brian comes home I feel like I haven't done much all day. It's truly shocking to me how much time I spend tending to the baby, between feeding, changing, soothing, etc. It makes sense when you break it down, because I realize I am doing important work, but it still feels weird to not have anything tangible to look at as having been accomplished, if that makes sense. Especially when we still have so much unpacking to do, which I feel like I should be making more progress with. All I know is when they say being a stay-at-home-mom is a full time job...dude! This is not an exaggeration! Lucky for us her adorable-ness more than makes up for what I call her "crazy lady" episodes. :) I wouldn't trade this time with her for anything (even when she's masquerading as the Crazy Lady)!
Speaking of the little lady, she's getting nice and plump and developing those adorable chubby arms, thighs, and feet that I love so much in babies. Again, yay- as these are signs that she's getting lots of food! (You know how paranoid I am about this.) One thing she's losing? Hair! When she was born she had a nice head of dark hair, but she's lost a good amount on top, starting in the front, moving along the sides and toward the back. Kinda like someone else we know. ;)Her new hair is starting to grow in now, and it's kind of hard to tell, but it looks like a medium brown, with a tinge of red in the sunlight. We'll have to wait and see what it will be like when it gets longer! Her eyes, still as giant as ever, have remained a really dark brown. I'm guessing it'll stay that way.
She's started to make cute little non-crying sounds- more of the happy coos and sighs, and she's added to her repertoire what sounds like "ah-goo." She "says" this a lot. I wish I knew what it meant! ;) Recently we've been noticing that she's smiling more - perhaps even on purpose - which is SO awesome! Also awesome: I discovered that she likes at least one of the baby carriers we have, the New Native sling. This is a godsend, as it not only allows me to have my hands free so that I'm able to take the dog out, she also likes to sleep in it!
The few times I've tried her in either the Moby or Ergo, she hasn't been too happy, but I'm going to keep trying, as I know a lot can depend on her mood at the time. I also think she will like the Ergo more as she gets bigger. At least I've found something that works for now!What's also exciting is we had some very special visitors recently, as Aunty Carmen, Lisa, and Cindy came to visit us a week ago. It was SO nice to be able to spend some time with them! These women are all so special to me- I consider them family, having known them literally my whole life. Aunty Carmen was my mom's very close friend since high school and her girls and I have been friends since we were babies. We grew up together, went to school together, and have been (and will be) lifelong friends. There's something overwhelmingly comforting about being with people who have known you your entire life. They are like sisters to me and I love them to death. I know these three loved my mom and miss her about as much as me. Having them here meant so much to me. They feel like home. I only wish we could all hang out together more often.
Luckily, we do still have some family nearby. We're lucky to have Lisa, Reid, Ally, and Kyra close by. They know all too well what it's like to be going through what we're going through. They had to move when K&A were six weeks old, too! They've been extremely considerate and helpful, coming by to visit, as well as bring us yummy food. We appreciate them SO much and we look forward to many, many more visits! I'm so excited that the girls will be able to grow up together. I remember how much fun Lisa and I had when we were little, and it brings me much joy to envision the girls all having fun playing together in the future. Lucy is lucky- her cousins love her so much already!
Well, it's about that time for another feeding. Hope the cute pics makes up for the delay in posting. I really do have the best intentions of more regularly scheduled blog posts, but uh, this is not as high on Lucy's to-do list, and right now what she says goes. ;) So, by for now!




Comments