Week 26: English Hothouse Cucumber

Disclaimer: I kind of hesitated posting this photo and description because a) the picture looks kind of like an eel or something similarly slimey and b) using the term "hothouse" to describe one's baby just seems wrong. However, for consistency's sake:

See what I mean? Tell me that doesn't resemble a sea creature of some kind. Anyway... BabyCenter says Bean is now measuring around 14 inches long from head to heel, roughly the length of- see above, and weighs about a pound and two-thirds. The nerves in Bean's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before, so she may now be able to hear our voices. Uh-oh! ;) She's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of her lungs. These "breathing" movements are also good practice for when she's born and takes that first gulp of air. And she's continuing to put on baby fat. So exciting!

Now something that's sort of exciting: Daylight Savings began yesterday. To all you Hawaii people, all this means to you is that we are 3 hours ahead of you again, instead of 2. I'm sure I'll be happy about this come this evening, when I get to drive home while it's still light out, but the transition is never an easy one. For one thing, I'm never happy to "spring forward" an hour at 2:00am on Sunday. This means that when I wake up on Sunday I've already lost an hour of precious Sunday/weekend time. Boo! I much prefer to "fall back" an hour in the fall- gaining an hour is so much more fun. Not to mention, anytime the time changes, you wouldn't think it would be a big deal, after all it's only an hour, right? Wrong. It really messes me up for a good couple of weeks. Oh well. We'll see what happens this time around. At least this means Spring is right around the corner. My favorite season!

A couple of the hosts on PregTASTIC recently answered a few questions about their pregnancies. Since I always like hearing about other people's experiences, I thought I would share my answers to the same questions. Here goes:

What are you most excited about?
I'm most excited about seeing Bean! Meeting her face to face. Looking at her little face for the first time, holding her in my arms, touching her teeny hands and feet, smelling her baby smell, and watching Brian do the same. It's going to be amazing to have her here with us (where we can see her and watch her grow)!

How is your energy level compared to "normal"?
Currently my energy level is good. Exceptional, compared to where it was at during the first trimester- I think it barely registered at that point! I feel like I'm pretty much able to do what I want to do, although I do get tired quicker. But again, a big contrast to the lump of laziness I was during those first few months. I hear this might wane toward the end of the pregnancy, but so far so good.

What clothes are you finding most comfy?
I'm definitely the most comfortable in dresses. Cotton jersey, empire-waisted dresses. Of course, I always felt most comfy in dresses, even before I was pregnant, but even more so now. When I'm at home I prefer anything with an elastic waist.

What type of food do you crave or have an aversion to? Does the smell of anything make you gag?
Most of my strong cravings seemed to come earlier on in the pregnancy. I don't feel as overcome by cravings anymore, although there are times I do really want something specific. I haven't had much of an aversion to anything, so that's good, and I don't think the smell of anything makes me want to gag. I mean, nothing out of the ordinary. ;)

What do you have planned for the nursery?
What nursery? Um yeah, we don't have a nursery room to speak of. For the first few months we plan to have Bean sleep in our bedroom, in a co-sleeper*. Eventually, she will obviously have her own room, which I assume will be decorated, but I really haven't given that part much thought yet. Although come to think of it, we were at a baby store this weekend and whilst browsing around a sea of baby gear (most of it over-the-top gender specific), I may or may not have uttered the words "No frilly pink sh*t" and Brian concurred, so I guess we're solid on at least that much. ;)

What is your most expensive purchase so far?
Oh, that's easy. A pair of jeans, definitely. For the most part I've been finding cute (and inexpensive) maternity clothes on sale at Old Navy and Gap**, but upon Heather's recommendation I recently cashed in a few A Pea in the Pod gift cards I received for Christmas (thanks, moms and Heather!) to purchase an amazing pair of jeans. They are the softest, stretchiest jeans.. I would wear them every day if my work's dress code would allow it. It was a total splurge, but covered by the gift cards (I specifically asked for the gift cards with these jeans in mind!) so I don't feel bad at all.

How involved is your husband?
If you read this blog or talk to me at all, you are already well aware how involved Brian is. He is, in a word, incredible. I truly feel as though he is going through this with me and sharing in all of it...well, you know, as much as biologically possible. He goes with me to every doctor's appointment, reads the baby book and baby updates with me, does a good deal of housework (I'm especially grateful that he's been the one to clean the toilet, since I really can't deal with that right now), gives me regularly scheduled back rubs, and generally always tries to make sure I'm feeling okay and getting enough rest. I cannot, nor do I want to, imagine going through any of this without him and his constant love, support, and encouragement. He really is my rock.

* I think I'll dedicate another post to baby gear. There is so much to be overwhelmed by, I think it deserves its own post.

** Did "Gap" used to be called "The Gap"? Jen and I had a discussion about this once. I've always called it "The Gap" (I think I still do unless I make a concerted effort to not), but I noticed one day that the "The" is missing and only the "Gap" is left. Seriously, am I crazy, or did they change their name at some point?

Comments

Popular Posts