Skincare basics
Writing this out because I think having and sticking to a skincare routine is really important. I started taking care of my skin in 7th grade, thanks to my friend Sheryl. Back then I used Clinique soap and moisturizer. Unfortunately for me, sunscreen wasn't a big thing back in the 80s, so I didn't wear it, and I regret that so much now, since I have all these brown sun spots on my face. It also took me too long to incorporate sunscreen into my daily routine because I discovered I was allergic to many sunscreens that I tried. Years later I discovered I'm allergic to physical, aka chemical sunscreens. Thankfully, I realized that I can tolerate some mineral sunscreens, so that's what I've been using now. Despite the face spots, I have good skin, especially for my age, and get compliments on my skin. It's definitely a result of having washed my face every morning and night since I was 13, no matter what, and never sleeping with makeup on.
Anyway, I thought I would share what I've learned from years of my own experience and advice from dermatologists, as well as what I'm using now.
The best thing to do is keep your skincare routine simple. Less is more. The more you add, the higher possibility of irritation. Besides, you don't need a lot. The basics are: A gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen during the day. When you're older you can add other products to help with various skin concerns.
In the morning, I brush my teeth and apply Aquaphor to my lips. For my skin I use: CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser; Dieux Deliverance serum; Batra Antioxidant serum; Dr. Loretta Tightening Eye Gel; Dieux Instant Angel moisturizer; CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion; Tizo 2 sunscreen. Sometimes I like to do gua sha with a gua sha stone and Living Libations Seabuckthorn Oil.
At night if I need to remove waterproof mascara or other makeup I use Pond's cold cream (just like my grandma used to use); CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser; Dieux Deliverance serum; then I alternate between Naturium Retinol Complex Serum and Neocutis Perle Brightening Cream; Dr. Loretta Tightening Eye Gel; Dieux Instant Angel moisturizer.
Additional notes on skincare: CeraVe is a great brand that Dr. Batra and other dermatologists recommend for being gentle and good for sensitive skin. When in doubt, check out CeraVe products. Sun protection is VERY important, for more than just preventing skin cancer- it's also to prevent other issues like wrinkles and discoloration. SPF 30 or higher is recommended. I'm allergic to physical/chemical sunscreens, so I need to use mineral sunscreens. It's recommended that you reapply throughout the day. As I mentioned before, less is more. It's important to protect and maintain your skin barrier. That's why moisturizing is important, even if you have breakouts. When trying a new product, always do a spot test first, on your cheek or neck, always try only one new product at a time, so that if you have any irritation you'll know what it's from, and always start slow (for example try something 2 or three times a week to start, as opposed to every day). If you don't experience any irritation, you can increase the frequency. For skin reactions, I use a (very expensive) cream that Dr. Batra prescribed called Pimecrolimus (aka Elidel) cream. It's a cream that's used to treat eczema, but Dr. Batra prescribed it to me for my skin flare-ups (non acne breakouts/rash) around my mouth. And I've used it when I had a bad reaction to a new sunscreen I tried and it healed quick. Highly recommend. For other skin rashes and itches, "Itchy cream," aka Bepanthen cream. Always wash your face at night before bed, no matter what. Always take off your makeup before bed, no matter what. Goes without saying: no smoking or tanning without sun protection. Washing your face with hot water is very drying. I have always washed my face in cold water. Not as drying, and also saves water, since you don't have to run the faucet waiting for water to get hot. ;) You should also use a body moisturizer daily.
I hope this helps! If I can think of any other tips, I'll add them!


Comments