An Early Valentine

Valentine's Day is four days away, but we got the ball rolling today.


Brian took a few hours off work this morning to go with Lucy and me to our mommy & me class. It was fun, because he was able to see what we do at "school," meet our friends, and hear some nice compliments about Lucy from people in our class, which is always nice. He got to hang out with us during my turn watching Lucy and Charlotte on the playground, and then got to go inside with me for the discussion part of class. The topic of today's discussion was, coincidentally: spouses.  Heh.

So here we are, half of the parents in class, plus one spouse (Brian) and our teacher, sitting around in a circle on the floor.  Our task was to go around the circle, say how long we've been married, and share something we appreciate about our spouse. Everyone sort of looked at us and laughed, since we were the only couple there. Ahem. When it was my turn, I proudly told everyone the same thing I always tell people about Brian. I said I appreciate how, since Day One, he has been completely hands on, how he does everything for Lucy, without having to be asked, and how he's the best partner I could ever ask for. I got a little teary just saying it out loud.

Then it was Brian's turn. He said he appreciates that I'm able to stay home with Lucy because he sees in her every day how she grows and learns and how he knows that's because of the things I do with her and teach her. I think he continued speaking, but it was at that point when I got verklempt and kind of lost it. I heard "aw"s from around the room, felt a comforting hand from the mom next to me on my left arm, then I looked over at Brian, who was surprisingly also teary- as was our teacher and other parents in class. OMG! We were weepy in class and made other people weepy, too! We are dorks!!

But, I must say, it was a very sweet moment, and our teacher commented on it as well. She also half-heartedly joked about how it's too bad all the spouses couldn't be in class for this discussion. :) I know I'm grateful that Brian came to class today. I would've said the same thing about him, had he not been there, but I'm glad I got to say it with him in the room. And I'm even more grateful that I was able to hear what he had to say about me. I think we both already know how much we appreciate each other, but a person never get tired hearing it. :)

On a little sadder note, today was the first time Lucy got a little sad in class when I (we) went inside for discussion. (The way it works is the kids play outside for an hour while me and another mom take turns watching both of our girls.) Normally when I'm inside Lucy doesn't even notice, and she never missed me. Today, I guess she tripped at one point and cried a little, and then asked for me a few times. And then she cried a little when Brian had to leave to go to work. I think the fact that Brian and I were both there must have thrown her off a little. I bet (hope) she's back to normal next week!

That aside, she still had fun playing and eating snacks. :)


Parents take turns bringing snacks for the wee ones. There's usually some kind of fruit, some kind of cheese, and some kind of crunchy thing (cracker, cookie, what have you). Luce always goes for the crunchy snack first. I have no idea where she would get that from! ;)

Comments

Gramma and Grampa C. said…
"Teary" is pretty much the universal reaction when we're witness to the loving commitment that you and Brian have for each other and your beautiful daughter!

Happy Valentine's Day!
Shelby said…
You're one lucky lady, LJ, oh....and you, too Shannon!!! Sending lots of hugs and kisses to you all for Valentine's Day and always!!! xoxoxoxoxoxo

Popular Posts