20 months!
Dear Lucy,
It seems impossible that you have a 2 in front of your month age, but the fact is that you are 20 months old today. Your emerging personality amazes us and keeps us entertained every day!
You're coming up with new favorite things to do and say on a daily basis. Your new favorite thing to do is get up on the couch, since you figured out how to get up there last week. You go to the corner where the chaise comes out, swing one leg up onto the seat, then hoist yourself up. You love sitting up there to watch TV, and as much as you would like to jump on it, that's a big no-no. The other day I had to scold you for jumping and afterward you walked around the living room saying, "sowwy," over and over. It was cute but also heart-wrenching at the same time. We haven't had to scold you thus far, but you're starting to test the boundaries more and more, so I know we will be getting much more practice on this front. *sigh*
It's interesting to see you start to learn the concept of 'sorry.' You used to say it, but not in the appropriate context. It's also cute how, in addition to saying 'please' (pees) when you want something, you're now also saying 'thank you' (tink-yu). Sometimes you say it when you hand things to us (when we would say thank you), but you're learning. :) Sometimes you even say 'you're welcome' (wa-come). It's important to me that you to be polite and have good manners, so the fact that you are starting to learn this now makes me really happy. :)
Generally speaking, you continue to awe us with your...speaking. :) I've lost track of all the words you say now, since there are so many, and you surprise us with new ones daily! Your pronunciation is also becoming clearer, and you're stringing words together more, too. And you count, often- when you look at your books, see pieces of food, your fingers- you count all kinds of things. Sometimes you say, 'one, two, three, seven, eight, nine, ten', glossing over four, five and six; but you make up for it when you continue on to eleven, twelve, thirteen, and fourteen. What? I didn't know you knew any numbers past ten! The funniest part is that despite the fact that you can and do say so many words that sounds like real words, your word for pretzel doesn't sound a single thing like pretzel. You pronounce it: pta-pa-ta. Um, okaaay... Good thing we know what you're talking about! :)
I bought a couple of barrettes (with bows) to try, and they actually stay in pretty well. I think I'll go back and get them in more colors because you really seem to like them. When I put one in your hair, you let me, first of all, and then you touch it and say, 'bow.' I remind you to not touch it so that it will stay on, and you're actually good about that for the most part, although sometimes you can't help yourself. Every now and then you reach back up there, as if you're making sure it's still there and you say, 'bow!' :)
Your favorite food right now? Eggs and rice. More specifically, eggs with rice, or as your Great-Grandma Oato used to call it, "tamago rice" (rice with a fried egg on top, mixed together with some shoyu). This all began one day when I was eating some for breakfast and offered you a bite. You kept asking for more. So the next day I made you some for breakfast, which you liked. The following day, I didn't make any, and you kept asking for it, and even cried when I said we didn't have any. Finally, I told you I could make some, but you would have to wait, and you actually waited in your high chair (since we were in the middle of breakfast at that point) while I cooked. And then you ate it. Now I try to have eggs and rice on hand, at least for breakfast, just in case.
You're funny, because you seem more interested in trying new foods if someone else is eating it or if it's offered to you as a snack. Like, one day you ate all of Charlotte's grape tomatoes at school one day and even wanted to try a raw carrot stick, which you've never had before. And while we're out on walks or runs with Aunty Alicia and Bregan, you never want the snacks that I offer you- you only want ones from Aunty Alicia. *eyeroll* For the most part we just keep trying to offer you whatever we're eating, and see if anything sticks. It's not like you're not eating. You still eat your normal amount of pureed food with cereal and milk, and snack foods (pretzels, crackers, fruit). We also have to constantly experiment with sizes and shapes of food, since sometimes you prefer holding onto big chunks of things and biting off little pieces, as opposed to eating small bite-sized pieces. You really know how to keep us on our toes! Oh, you recently discovered ketchup. You liked it.
There has been a new development at school- you've been missing me a little when it's time for me to leave you to go inside for the discussion session with the other parents. It started the week Daddy came to school with us, so I thought it was just because you were thrown off by the fact that Daddy and I were both there. But you also got a little sad last week, too. But, I'm told you get over it pretty fast, then go back to playing, so that's good!
Your new favorite thing this week is your new pajamas. Well, they're not "new" new, but new to you. They are hand-me-downs from Stella that were too big for you when we got them. Daddy got them out the other night after your bath and you went nuts. 'Monkey!' I was in the kitchen and I kept hearing you say, 'monkey jammies!' You were SO excited! When Daddy brought you out of the room, you proudly showed them off to me, saying 'monkey jammies' while pointing at them with a big grin. The next morning, you wouldn't even let Daddy change your clothes (you barely let him take them off long enough to change your diaper), so you wore them until we went out at lunch time.
I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of things, because you're doing so much more lately, saying so much more, and exuding your personality more and more every day that I can hardly keep up. You really are growing up before our eyes. But no matter how much you grow and change, some things remain the same- like your sweetness, your humor, your smile, and that face that we adore so much!
We love you SO MUCH. It's overwhelming, really.
It seems impossible that you have a 2 in front of your month age, but the fact is that you are 20 months old today. Your emerging personality amazes us and keeps us entertained every day!
You're coming up with new favorite things to do and say on a daily basis. Your new favorite thing to do is get up on the couch, since you figured out how to get up there last week. You go to the corner where the chaise comes out, swing one leg up onto the seat, then hoist yourself up. You love sitting up there to watch TV, and as much as you would like to jump on it, that's a big no-no. The other day I had to scold you for jumping and afterward you walked around the living room saying, "sowwy," over and over. It was cute but also heart-wrenching at the same time. We haven't had to scold you thus far, but you're starting to test the boundaries more and more, so I know we will be getting much more practice on this front. *sigh*
It's interesting to see you start to learn the concept of 'sorry.' You used to say it, but not in the appropriate context. It's also cute how, in addition to saying 'please' (pees) when you want something, you're now also saying 'thank you' (tink-yu). Sometimes you say it when you hand things to us (when we would say thank you), but you're learning. :) Sometimes you even say 'you're welcome' (wa-come). It's important to me that you to be polite and have good manners, so the fact that you are starting to learn this now makes me really happy. :)
Generally speaking, you continue to awe us with your...speaking. :) I've lost track of all the words you say now, since there are so many, and you surprise us with new ones daily! Your pronunciation is also becoming clearer, and you're stringing words together more, too. And you count, often- when you look at your books, see pieces of food, your fingers- you count all kinds of things. Sometimes you say, 'one, two, three, seven, eight, nine, ten', glossing over four, five and six; but you make up for it when you continue on to eleven, twelve, thirteen, and fourteen. What? I didn't know you knew any numbers past ten! The funniest part is that despite the fact that you can and do say so many words that sounds like real words, your word for pretzel doesn't sound a single thing like pretzel. You pronounce it: pta-pa-ta. Um, okaaay... Good thing we know what you're talking about! :)
I bought a couple of barrettes (with bows) to try, and they actually stay in pretty well. I think I'll go back and get them in more colors because you really seem to like them. When I put one in your hair, you let me, first of all, and then you touch it and say, 'bow.' I remind you to not touch it so that it will stay on, and you're actually good about that for the most part, although sometimes you can't help yourself. Every now and then you reach back up there, as if you're making sure it's still there and you say, 'bow!' :)
Your favorite food right now? Eggs and rice. More specifically, eggs with rice, or as your Great-Grandma Oato used to call it, "tamago rice" (rice with a fried egg on top, mixed together with some shoyu). This all began one day when I was eating some for breakfast and offered you a bite. You kept asking for more. So the next day I made you some for breakfast, which you liked. The following day, I didn't make any, and you kept asking for it, and even cried when I said we didn't have any. Finally, I told you I could make some, but you would have to wait, and you actually waited in your high chair (since we were in the middle of breakfast at that point) while I cooked. And then you ate it. Now I try to have eggs and rice on hand, at least for breakfast, just in case.
You're funny, because you seem more interested in trying new foods if someone else is eating it or if it's offered to you as a snack. Like, one day you ate all of Charlotte's grape tomatoes at school one day and even wanted to try a raw carrot stick, which you've never had before. And while we're out on walks or runs with Aunty Alicia and Bregan, you never want the snacks that I offer you- you only want ones from Aunty Alicia. *eyeroll* For the most part we just keep trying to offer you whatever we're eating, and see if anything sticks. It's not like you're not eating. You still eat your normal amount of pureed food with cereal and milk, and snack foods (pretzels, crackers, fruit). We also have to constantly experiment with sizes and shapes of food, since sometimes you prefer holding onto big chunks of things and biting off little pieces, as opposed to eating small bite-sized pieces. You really know how to keep us on our toes! Oh, you recently discovered ketchup. You liked it.
There has been a new development at school- you've been missing me a little when it's time for me to leave you to go inside for the discussion session with the other parents. It started the week Daddy came to school with us, so I thought it was just because you were thrown off by the fact that Daddy and I were both there. But you also got a little sad last week, too. But, I'm told you get over it pretty fast, then go back to playing, so that's good!
Your new favorite thing this week is your new pajamas. Well, they're not "new" new, but new to you. They are hand-me-downs from Stella that were too big for you when we got them. Daddy got them out the other night after your bath and you went nuts. 'Monkey!' I was in the kitchen and I kept hearing you say, 'monkey jammies!' You were SO excited! When Daddy brought you out of the room, you proudly showed them off to me, saying 'monkey jammies' while pointing at them with a big grin. The next morning, you wouldn't even let Daddy change your clothes (you barely let him take them off long enough to change your diaper), so you wore them until we went out at lunch time.
I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of things, because you're doing so much more lately, saying so much more, and exuding your personality more and more every day that I can hardly keep up. You really are growing up before our eyes. But no matter how much you grow and change, some things remain the same- like your sweetness, your humor, your smile, and that face that we adore so much!
We love you SO MUCH. It's overwhelming, really.














Comments
We love oyu!!
Love and kisses, Beany!