Party Time!
Lucy's 1st Birthday Party was this past Saturday.
Although small by Hawaii first birthday party standards, we thought it was the perfect size. The most important part was that our family and many of our closest friends were there to help us celebrate Lucy's first year. People came by car and plane, from near (the LA area), far (Northern California and Hawaii), and in between (San Diego), and we were so thrilled!
The party was at Burton W. Chace Park in Marina Del Rey, just a hop skip and a jump from our place. Ideally, we would have loved to have the party at our place, but until we have a house (and yard) large enough to accommodate guests, we had to look elsewhere for a suitable venue. We wanted an outdoor area where we could have a mellow gathering, preferably with plenty of shade, and this park fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, June Gloom reared its ugly head for most of the party so it was chilly for a while...
...but we didn't let it dampen our spirits!
After all, we had party gear!
We had cupcakes!
We visited with family and friends!
We laughed!
We ate cupcakes!
We hugged!
And did I mention we ate cupcakes?
(I'm so glad I decided to nix the "healthy" cupcake idea in lieu of the ol' standby, tried and true, go-to cupcake recipe of butter and sugar yumminess!)
I'm definitely not a party-throwin' expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it was a pretty good first effort. We certainly had fun, I'm pretty sure Lucy had fun (I was so proud of her- she did so well, even with so many people around!) and I hope everyone else had fun, too!
Although I'm bummed that I wasn't able to visit with our guests as much as I would've liked, I'm told that kind of goes along with the territory of being the MBG (Mommy to the Birthday Girl). To our friends and family who made such a special effort to be there with us, please know how much we appreciate it- we were so thrilled and grateful to have you there with us! To our friends and family who weren't able to be there in person, please know that you were there in spirit and we are so thankful for you as well!
One thing we know for sure is that Lucy is a loved little girl. Not just by us, but by you, our extended family. We know how lucky we are, and one day she will know it, too.
Although small by Hawaii first birthday party standards, we thought it was the perfect size. The most important part was that our family and many of our closest friends were there to help us celebrate Lucy's first year. People came by car and plane, from near (the LA area), far (Northern California and Hawaii), and in between (San Diego), and we were so thrilled!
The party was at Burton W. Chace Park in Marina Del Rey, just a hop skip and a jump from our place. Ideally, we would have loved to have the party at our place, but until we have a house (and yard) large enough to accommodate guests, we had to look elsewhere for a suitable venue. We wanted an outdoor area where we could have a mellow gathering, preferably with plenty of shade, and this park fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, June Gloom reared its ugly head for most of the party so it was chilly for a while...
...but we didn't let it dampen our spirits!
After all, we had party gear!
We had cupcakes!
We visited with family and friends!
We ate cupcakes!
We hugged!
And did I mention we ate cupcakes?
(I'm so glad I decided to nix the "healthy" cupcake idea in lieu of the ol' standby, tried and true, go-to cupcake recipe of butter and sugar yumminess!)
I'm definitely not a party-throwin' expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it was a pretty good first effort. We certainly had fun, I'm pretty sure Lucy had fun (I was so proud of her- she did so well, even with so many people around!) and I hope everyone else had fun, too!
Although I'm bummed that I wasn't able to visit with our guests as much as I would've liked, I'm told that kind of goes along with the territory of being the MBG (Mommy to the Birthday Girl). To our friends and family who made such a special effort to be there with us, please know how much we appreciate it- we were so thrilled and grateful to have you there with us! To our friends and family who weren't able to be there in person, please know that you were there in spirit and we are so thankful for you as well!
One thing we know for sure is that Lucy is a loved little girl. Not just by us, but by you, our extended family. We know how lucky we are, and one day she will know it, too.






























Comments
We love you!
LJ: We're very proud to say you were the perfect birthday girl. You let your guests carry you, and you greeted everyone with a "Hi!" and right on queue clapped your hands and smiled. That evening you were still your usual happy self when we came over to babysit you (2nd night in a row!) while mom and dad went to a movie. You are such a good baby that we end up 'baby listening'. Miss Lucy, you should be happy to know that you have the best family and family friends (and all the cousins that come with them).
Gramma & Grampa C: Thanks for bringing up the warm San Diego sun to Lucy's party. We're looking forward to a San Diego extension to our next trip.