9 month check-up
Lucy had her 9 month check-up today.
Of course everyone wants to know the stats, so here they are. She weighs 18 pounds and 14 ounces (up a little over 2 pounds since her 6 month check-up) and measures 28.5 inches long (up 1.5 inches). This puts her in the 35-40th percentile for weight and 80-90th percentile for height. At her last check-up she was in the 50th percentile for weight and 90th for height. What this boils down to is that she weighs a little less than the "average" nine month old, but nothing to be concerned about.
I'm attributing this at least partly due to the fact that we had been feeding her two meals per day (instead of three) until a couple days ago. She didn't *seem* to want or need the extra meal, so I never fed it to her. On my own, I decided to try feeding her breakfast a couple days ago and she was fine with it, so now I know. Adding that extra meal will definitely increase her caloric intake. Another suggestion Dr. Fang made was to feed her meals first, then "top her off" by nursing, so I'll start doing that, too. Everything I've heard or read says the opposite- to breastfeed (or give formula) first, then feed the meal. It makes sense to feed her first, since more of her calories should be coming from real food now, as opposed to breast milk, but that wasn't always the case. I'm not sure when that flip-flopped, but again, now I know.
We all know that I'm hyper-sensitive to nourishment concerns stemming from when she wasn't getting enough food in her early days, so I'm trying not to stress over this. Actually, I'm really not worried. Of course I would like for her to at least be in the 50th percentile, but I know that she's not malnourished. She's already getting plenty to eat, she's thriving developmentally, she's happy, she sleeps well, and come on- she's obviously got ample chub! I'm confident that bumping her up to three meals a day will provide that extra bit of calories that she seems to need, at least according to the growth charts and what not (which I kind of feel are BS anyway, but why go there).
This seems as good a time as any to mention how little real guidance there is out there on feeding solids to babies. From what, to how often- it's far from cut and dry. There are books and pediatrician recommendations, all of which vary. What my friends and I have found out is that a lot of guess work is involved.
So far I've been making almost all of Lucy's food, although we have fed her jarred food a couple times when we've been away from home. I'm not at all against pre-prepared baby food at all, especially now that organic options are so readily available. It's just that as long as I have the time and desire to make her food, I would rather make it myself. I like knowing exactly what's in there, and it actually feels good to do. So far I feel really good about the foods I've been making and we've been feeding her. Fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, and tofu. I'm even been cooking veggies I don't like (such as peas) for her to try. Although, I haven't attempted things like papayas or beets yet. :p We'll see about those. ;) Because there isn't much in the way of guidance, this book has been my go-to resource. It's a little much in some areas, so I take what I can out of it. For instance, I've found it to be really helpful in regards to the basics, like when to introduce certain foods and how to cook and store different foods.
Dr. Fang gave us more suggestions today about new foods we can introduce now, like meats and some "safe" (low-mercury) fish like salmon (no shellfish), baby yogurt, and finger-food snacks like easily soluble things like baby crackers, in addition to what we've already been feeding her. She said cooked egg yolks are okay to try, but not egg whites yet (closer to 1 year), no cheese yet, stay away from nuts until 2 years, and put off juices for as long as possible, which is what we've been doing anyway. She also recommended a baby multivitamin, so we'll start that, too. I have to admit I'm not looking forward to cooking and pureeing meat and poultry (yikes!), but I will give it a go for my girl. I'm a good mom. Heh.
She also gave us an idea of what we might expect coming up developmentally, and gave us suggestions about other activities we can start doing with her to help her learn, like reading books to her with single words or sounds. She's been babbling a lot recently, especially in the past few days. Brian thinks her first "real" word isn't too far off. I can hardly wait!
Anyway, that was pretty much it for the 9 month check-up. (No vaccines this time- yay!) More to report after her next check-up when she's - *gasp * - a year old! Gah!!
Of course everyone wants to know the stats, so here they are. She weighs 18 pounds and 14 ounces (up a little over 2 pounds since her 6 month check-up) and measures 28.5 inches long (up 1.5 inches). This puts her in the 35-40th percentile for weight and 80-90th percentile for height. At her last check-up she was in the 50th percentile for weight and 90th for height. What this boils down to is that she weighs a little less than the "average" nine month old, but nothing to be concerned about.
I'm attributing this at least partly due to the fact that we had been feeding her two meals per day (instead of three) until a couple days ago. She didn't *seem* to want or need the extra meal, so I never fed it to her. On my own, I decided to try feeding her breakfast a couple days ago and she was fine with it, so now I know. Adding that extra meal will definitely increase her caloric intake. Another suggestion Dr. Fang made was to feed her meals first, then "top her off" by nursing, so I'll start doing that, too. Everything I've heard or read says the opposite- to breastfeed (or give formula) first, then feed the meal. It makes sense to feed her first, since more of her calories should be coming from real food now, as opposed to breast milk, but that wasn't always the case. I'm not sure when that flip-flopped, but again, now I know.
We all know that I'm hyper-sensitive to nourishment concerns stemming from when she wasn't getting enough food in her early days, so I'm trying not to stress over this. Actually, I'm really not worried. Of course I would like for her to at least be in the 50th percentile, but I know that she's not malnourished. She's already getting plenty to eat, she's thriving developmentally, she's happy, she sleeps well, and come on- she's obviously got ample chub! I'm confident that bumping her up to three meals a day will provide that extra bit of calories that she seems to need, at least according to the growth charts and what not (which I kind of feel are BS anyway, but why go there).
This seems as good a time as any to mention how little real guidance there is out there on feeding solids to babies. From what, to how often- it's far from cut and dry. There are books and pediatrician recommendations, all of which vary. What my friends and I have found out is that a lot of guess work is involved.
So far I've been making almost all of Lucy's food, although we have fed her jarred food a couple times when we've been away from home. I'm not at all against pre-prepared baby food at all, especially now that organic options are so readily available. It's just that as long as I have the time and desire to make her food, I would rather make it myself. I like knowing exactly what's in there, and it actually feels good to do. So far I feel really good about the foods I've been making and we've been feeding her. Fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, and tofu. I'm even been cooking veggies I don't like (such as peas) for her to try. Although, I haven't attempted things like papayas or beets yet. :p We'll see about those. ;) Because there isn't much in the way of guidance, this book has been my go-to resource. It's a little much in some areas, so I take what I can out of it. For instance, I've found it to be really helpful in regards to the basics, like when to introduce certain foods and how to cook and store different foods.
Dr. Fang gave us more suggestions today about new foods we can introduce now, like meats and some "safe" (low-mercury) fish like salmon (no shellfish), baby yogurt, and finger-food snacks like easily soluble things like baby crackers, in addition to what we've already been feeding her. She said cooked egg yolks are okay to try, but not egg whites yet (closer to 1 year), no cheese yet, stay away from nuts until 2 years, and put off juices for as long as possible, which is what we've been doing anyway. She also recommended a baby multivitamin, so we'll start that, too. I have to admit I'm not looking forward to cooking and pureeing meat and poultry (yikes!), but I will give it a go for my girl. I'm a good mom. Heh.
She also gave us an idea of what we might expect coming up developmentally, and gave us suggestions about other activities we can start doing with her to help her learn, like reading books to her with single words or sounds. She's been babbling a lot recently, especially in the past few days. Brian thinks her first "real" word isn't too far off. I can hardly wait!
Anyway, that was pretty much it for the 9 month check-up. (No vaccines this time- yay!) More to report after her next check-up when she's - *gasp * - a year old! Gah!!



Comments
Whatever the latest in baby rearing is, Miss Lucy James looks fine to us.
Our only disappointment was that there was only ONE new picture. Only kidding. You guys are doing a great job and she looks just so healthy, very content and happy.
Soon, the big "01". This is going faster than we remember. Look at it this way, she's not arguing with you or think you're nuts yet!! Don't shake your heads, it'll come. Enjoy! Lots of love! to you all!
She is healthy, happy, and beautiful and you are doing a fabulous job! No worries needed :)
Can't wait to see you Sunday! I believe that the Easter Bunny is making a stop! Much love!