Birth Story

So we know that Lucy is here. But how did she get here? Here's her birth story...

The contractions started on Sunday, June 21st. They were irregular at first, then they came at more regular intervals by the afternoon. We decided to go to the hospital when they were coming pretty consistently at about 5-7 minutes apart. That was a weird feeling- knowing we were leaving the house, possibly for the last time, without a baby. I wasn't positive this was really "it," but figured they would just send me home if that wasn't the case. But, we got to the hospital at around 6:00pm, and I was promptly admitted. (OMG, this was really happening!)

the semi-calm before the storm

Thank goodness we went to the hospital right when we did, because the contractions became regular, closer together, and stronger. I was told that if I continued to progress on my own, fine, otherwise I learned that if I needed (or wanted) to be induced, that wouldn't happen until at least 5:30 the next morning. This kind of pissed me off, to tell you the truth. Like I cared if an OB has to get out of bed when I was having painful contractions and was already a week overdue! But, I digress... The contractions continued, and they got worse. And although I really wanted to experience "natural" childbirth without drugs, I glimpsed hours into my future and also really couldn't fathom having to possibly endure those contractions until the next morning. So, I gave in and asked for an epidural. Sorry, natural childbirth, I gave you a try, but there was just no way. And can I just say- epidural = magic! The actual getting of the epidural was weird and a little scary, but the relief was instantaneous. I felt nothing after that. Aah...

post-epidural calm before the storm

Fast-forward to Monday morning- my contractions were holding steady at a few minutes apart and I wouldn't dilate past 5-6 cm. So we decided to induce with Pitocin. They tried this a couple different times, but each time they administered the Pitocin, Lucy's heartbeat would level out. The doctor also broke my water in an attempt to induce, but that didn't do any good either. Since it didn't look like I would progress further on my own, and because the Pitocin wasn't working for Lucy, the doctor felt that the only alternative was a cesarean section...and soon.

Wait, what?? My heart stopped. I was distraught. I went from thinking I would be having a drug-free childbirth to having an epidural to being induced to having a major surgery in the blink of an eye. I was devastated. And terrified. I cried. Yet, at the same time, we knew it was our only option at that point. She needed to come out. And she needed help. That's what mattered the most. So, okay. C-section it would be.

Within fifteen minutes, Brian was being whisked off to get ready and I was being prepped and wheeled into an operating room. This was not - I repeat NOT - a fun experience. I was plenty freaked out already, but then looking up at the bright lights and feeling the cold chill of the OR, and and being able to see - and hear - medical professionals scurrying around me ...yeah...NOT fun. Thankfully, Brian was right beside me in no time, and remained there throughout the surgery. (He watched the whole thing!) He was a supportive and encouraging rock throughout the entire labor and surgery (and beyond). I don't know how he does it, but he never ceases to amaze me with how calm he can be, and how he is able to be there for me in whatever way I need at any given time.

The procedure itself was...well, also not fun. I started shaking immediately. I don't know what that was about - the drugs or my nerves or what, but I couldn't stop. It was frustrating and exhausting, and scary. I tried to calm myself down as much as possible (while also trying to not vomit). I felt pulling and tugging and pressure. And I could hear everything they were saying. Apparently, Lucy was lodged deep in my pelvis, so they needed 3 people to get her out. When they finally got her out and she cried, Brian and I both cried too. My tears were tears of joy...and relief! She was finally here and she was okay!

I'm not exactly sure what exactly transpired after that (I was kind of in my own world) - perhaps Brian will recount his side of the birth story here at some point. :) I do know that Brian cut the cord and as soon as they cleaned her off, they handed her to him and he held her during the rest of the surgery...which, apparently, took a while. Again, Brian could tell you about this part, since he watched it all!

The bottom line is: this wasn't how we envisioned Lucy's birth (I don't really know what I had envisioned, but it most certainly was not a c-section and the other complications that followed), but the most important thing was what was best for Lucy, and the reality was that she needed help getting out. In addition, my uterus was (is?) thin and could have ruptured during labor, so I was told. So in the end, the c-section was for the best. And speaking of the best...

Love.

PS: Yes, I know I've been lagging with the blog updates lately, but my blogging time has been taken up by around the clock feedings and when the feedings are over, other superfluous things like oh, eating - and if we're lucky- sleeping. I intend to get better about managing my time (and life!), but for now the posts may be somewhat sporadic. You understand, of course.

Comments

Popular Posts