Week 17: Turnip
Thanks for the birthday wishes! I had a good birthday, despite it being the first day back at work after vacation, and a Monday. I don't believe anyone should have to go back to work on their birthday under those conditions, but Brian was quick to point out - and I was quick to agree with him - that I should be happy I have a job to go back to, considering all the people who are not as fortunate. He is right of course, and I am definitely thankful for that.
So, hmm...
In Bean's defense, she is definitely cuter than this bulbous root plant may lead people to believe (at least from what we can tell from the ultrasound photos). That being said, BabyCenter does say that she's about the size of a turnip, weighing in at around 5 ounces and measuring around 5 inches long. Her skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop.
I don't know about all that, all I can say is I feel larger all of a sudden- like, within the last few days. Maybe it's due to the "work clothes" I've been wearing, as opposed to the stretchy clothes (and pjs) I was sporting while on vacation. It's hard to say, but one thing's for certain- the tummy is definitely starting to protrude (pics soon, I promise). That said, I wish I could say it was all bump, but it's also rump. ;) (Note to self: I need longer sweaters.)
So, a little bit of preliminary news from our doctor's appointment last week. Now, keep in mind that we were just on the cusp of 17 weeks at the time, so it's still too early to tell with 100% certainty, but according to the last ultrasound it does look like Bean is, indeed, a girl. :) Why do we think that? a) We (me, Brian, and most importantly, our doctor) didn't see any visible "boy parts" (Our friend Matt notes that in the event Bean turns out to be a boy, we should NOT mention this part to him, ever), and more significantly b) We think we saw "girl parts." (I will spare you the analogy of what "girl parts" may described as resembling at this stage, just know the doctor said it looks like girl parts.) We should be able to know for sure when we go back to our next appointment at the end of the month. Fun!
Anyway,there's something about having the beginning of a new calendar year coincide with one's birthday that always lends itself to reflection on the past year and looking ahead to the next. Since you're reading this, you know me and us, and so you know what a monumentally life-changing year 2008 was around these parts. As Ash pointed out in one of her comments to my last post, 2008 granted me marriage to the greatest guy I know, the blessing of pregnancy, the new car I've been coveting for years, and a new president we so desperately need (and have also been coveting for years) - could it get any better in 2009? Well, if the bun-in-the-oven is any indication, the answer is a resounding YES! I am so looking forward to this year!
Along those lines, I rarely make resolutions, per se, outside of the standard "eat better, work out more" basics, but I came across this list on a friend's blog and really, really love it. I will consider these things to do more of in life:
12 Rules to Live By -- Robert Louis Stevenson
1. Make up your mind to be happy, learn to find pleasure in simple things.
2. Make the best of circumstances. No one has everything and everyone has something of sorrow.
3. Don't take yourself too seriously; don't think that somehow you should be protected from misfortunes that befall others.
4. Don't let criticism worry you. You can't please everybody.
5. Don't let your neighbor set your standards. Be yourself.
6. Do the things you enjoy doing but stay out of debt.
7. Don't borrow trouble. Imaginary burdens are harder to bear than the actual ones.
8. Hate poisons the soul, so don't carry grudges. Avoid people who make you unhappy.
9. Have many interests. If you can't travel, read about new places.
10. Don't hold post-mortems or spend time brooding over sorrows and mistakes.
11. Do what you can for those less fortunate than yourself.
12. Keep busy at something. A busy person never has time to be unhappy.
You probably couldn't go too wrong in life with these. This list may need to go up on the fridge. :) Feel free to borrow them for yourselves, too, if you like!
So, hmm...
In Bean's defense, she is definitely cuter than this bulbous root plant may lead people to believe (at least from what we can tell from the ultrasound photos). That being said, BabyCenter does say that she's about the size of a turnip, weighing in at around 5 ounces and measuring around 5 inches long. Her skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop.I don't know about all that, all I can say is I feel larger all of a sudden- like, within the last few days. Maybe it's due to the "work clothes" I've been wearing, as opposed to the stretchy clothes (and pjs) I was sporting while on vacation. It's hard to say, but one thing's for certain- the tummy is definitely starting to protrude (pics soon, I promise). That said, I wish I could say it was all bump, but it's also rump. ;) (Note to self: I need longer sweaters.)
So, a little bit of preliminary news from our doctor's appointment last week. Now, keep in mind that we were just on the cusp of 17 weeks at the time, so it's still too early to tell with 100% certainty, but according to the last ultrasound it does look like Bean is, indeed, a girl. :) Why do we think that? a) We (me, Brian, and most importantly, our doctor) didn't see any visible "boy parts" (Our friend Matt notes that in the event Bean turns out to be a boy, we should NOT mention this part to him, ever), and more significantly b) We think we saw "girl parts." (I will spare you the analogy of what "girl parts" may described as resembling at this stage, just know the doctor said it looks like girl parts.) We should be able to know for sure when we go back to our next appointment at the end of the month. Fun!
Anyway,there's something about having the beginning of a new calendar year coincide with one's birthday that always lends itself to reflection on the past year and looking ahead to the next. Since you're reading this, you know me and us, and so you know what a monumentally life-changing year 2008 was around these parts. As Ash pointed out in one of her comments to my last post, 2008 granted me marriage to the greatest guy I know, the blessing of pregnancy, the new car I've been coveting for years, and a new president we so desperately need (and have also been coveting for years) - could it get any better in 2009? Well, if the bun-in-the-oven is any indication, the answer is a resounding YES! I am so looking forward to this year!
Along those lines, I rarely make resolutions, per se, outside of the standard "eat better, work out more" basics, but I came across this list on a friend's blog and really, really love it. I will consider these things to do more of in life:
12 Rules to Live By -- Robert Louis Stevenson
1. Make up your mind to be happy, learn to find pleasure in simple things.
2. Make the best of circumstances. No one has everything and everyone has something of sorrow.
3. Don't take yourself too seriously; don't think that somehow you should be protected from misfortunes that befall others.
4. Don't let criticism worry you. You can't please everybody.
5. Don't let your neighbor set your standards. Be yourself.
6. Do the things you enjoy doing but stay out of debt.
7. Don't borrow trouble. Imaginary burdens are harder to bear than the actual ones.
8. Hate poisons the soul, so don't carry grudges. Avoid people who make you unhappy.
9. Have many interests. If you can't travel, read about new places.
10. Don't hold post-mortems or spend time brooding over sorrows and mistakes.
11. Do what you can for those less fortunate than yourself.
12. Keep busy at something. A busy person never has time to be unhappy.
You probably couldn't go too wrong in life with these. This list may need to go up on the fridge. :) Feel free to borrow them for yourselves, too, if you like!


Comments